The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone fitted a Brickwerks stainless steel exhaust
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone fitted a Brickwerks stainless steel exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone fitted a Brickwerks stainless steel exhaust
    Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 13:16
So how the mrs car passed the MOT today, so the money I had aside to fix any fault is now mine mine mineBig smile so thinking about fitting one of Simon's s s sports exhaust to fit my JX engine.

As anyone fitted one? and what did you think?? does it sound nice??

Cheers

ttcharlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 13:54
No, but when you do, can I have a look at it?
Cheers
ttcharlie
Counting Bricks.....
PaulG View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 15:26
I have one on my 2.1 DJ.  Simon fitted it, so can't comment on that part, but there can be all sorts of hassle with manifold studs - be prepared for them to break and then you have to extract the remains, or drill them out.  Then you have to put threaded inserts in to take the replacement studs.

I don't think they are considered to be 'Sports' though, unless he has brought out modded ones recently..? Mine sounds pretty much standard I would say, although when it was new it sounded less rorty with a higher 'note' to it that the mild steel one he took off, it kind of 'rang' (like a bell would if that makes sense).  I'd say that it now sounds just kind of 'nice' really...  The motor was rebuilt at the same time and is now really smooth and, well, nice as well!

It leaked a bit at the joints at first, but that seems OK now.  Use plenty of good joint sealant and new proper gaskets when you fit it I would say.

Mine goes into a stock VW muffler, and has a Brickwerks stainless tail pipe.  I believe the Brickwerks mufflers are less restricted and therefore probably sound different to a stock one.

Hope this helps,

PaulG
Brick-Yard. Not a club, more a way of doing things. (Robert Fripp - kind of...)
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 15:57
Heading that way, but already have the back box and tailpipe, found mine to quieten the Westy down a treat and it now purrs along. Went on a dream, am assuming that as with everything the podgy clopper sells it will be bob on.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 17:22

TD one is "sports" as it has the internal discs removed...

Ive got one say here waiting to go on.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
strangely brown View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strangely brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 23:42
Got one of Simon's fitted on my 2.1i MV but i have the ERNST silencer fitted but,  have the larger  tail pipe.
Sounds absolutely sweet and have had nothing but comments about the sound and it also is a wee bit more pokey.

Mr. Brown                  
strangely brown (colonial cousin)
ronsrecord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsrecord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 00:11
Yep - nice and shiny!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 00:46
Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

TD one is "sports" as it has the internal discs removed...

I just changed the silencer on the Chappy Wagon - needed one in a hurry, and nowt special so got GSF to rustle one up. 

It duly arrived next day and lo and behold it was a straight through job!  The one that came off wasn't, so I'm assuming that the reason for this is the discs you mentioned - like a kind of baffle I guess.

Also - it was made by Eberspacher! Didn't realise they did 'em! Smile     
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 15:45
just fitted mine. It sounds a little "throatier" but not loud. Whistle from Turbo is louder now, although i could hardly hear it before

Big difference in the way it goes though!
Its a lot smoother and revs more freely. I did lose the Cat at the same time though, so I guess that has helped lots

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 20:39
OK i'm hooked so will need to order one, as mines a 1.6td sporty it will never be, but as long as it sounds better and looks shiny it will do.

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 13:32

To late I've ordered one, and fingers X it might be here for the weekend.

If so I'll know what I'm doing sunday morning Smile 

Sorry mrs sbbfuk no..................... for you this Sunday morning LOLLOL

Will post some pic's once fitted (of the camper) I know what you pervs are like..

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 18:40
You should have it tomorrow.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 19:27
So are these potentially on the shelf now for quick delivery? Will there ever be an option to buy silencer box only? 
sbbfuk, I just fitted an intercooler to a jx and it's a very pleasant surprise.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 23:28

"Anyone fitted a Brickwerks stainless steel exhaust?"

Yes, several thanks, just seem to have had a run on them!

Seems everyone has gone stainless mad!

We can't seem to be able to keep them on the shelf at the moment, as soon as one batch lands it's usually all spoken for and we're ordereing straight away.
The factory isn't the quickest at making them either which usually results in us looking like twats, hey ho, great product that makes up for it.
Fitted 3 petrol systems in the last week I think, one Turbo Diesel and a Diesel downpipe.
We have I think 2 possibly 3 complete WBX systems on the shelf.
2 late TD systems, one complete early system but more are on order.
plus we have loads of T4 decat pipes, some T4 sports systems and even some 1.7D T3 systems.
There has been a couple of niggles recently but I think they are ironed out.
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 08:05
Originally posted by timmythedog timmythedog wrote:

So are these potentially on the shelf now for quick delivery? Will there ever be an option to buy silencer box only? 
sbbfuk, I just fitted an intercooler to a jx and it's a very pleasant surprise.

Tim
Thinking about fitting one at some stage so I can raise the boost pressure (if poss) what do you mean a pleasant surprise?? easy to fit?

Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 08:41
Fitting took me best part of two days.Embarrassed  i gathered up all the pipes from a 1.9tdi(1Z) and utilised the intercooler from the same vehicle. A mix of those and a couple of JX pipes, plus the purchase of a 7inch electric fan and away i went. I have installed the intercooler face down in the left hand rear "box", with a hole cut away in the floor to match.(if your atlantic is rust free and beautiful in the boot corner you might not want to do this!!) however if done neatly it's not gonna hurt too much. The  fan is sat on top and sucks air down and through.  I've run a silicone hose across the back and fitted an induction filter in the other boot corner. Both sides are boxed in. It's quite neat and didn't cost a lot to do. Very noticeable improvement, especially from 1800-3200rpm it pulls like a train. Not touched turbo boost at all, but turned fuelling up a quarter. Will take some snaps if you like. If you have the funds a charge cooler might be a better install, but I had a box of bits so it was very cheap.Thumbs Up pleasant surprise because I have read so much about this approach being a waste of time and actually it's made a real difference.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 09:56
Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

You should have it tomorrow.

It was here by 09.30 Smile
Nice and shiney

What no air freshener Big smile 

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 13:48
[QUOTE=timmythedog]Will take some snaps if you like. QUOTE]

Could you post some please??

Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 15:07
Tim,
       turning the fueling up is probably a lot of the increase you`ve seen, did this with mine and it`s like a different `van, goes up hills now Smile. Gotta do one thing at a time to see what benefits you get.
Sunny Lancs
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 16:54
agreed. i did drive it around for a few days before I touched the fuelling. After the intercooler was fitted I noticed a more distinct powerband from 1800 to just over 3000. Engine sounded quiter, was smoother and generally more flexible feel to it. Now i've turned fuelling up it's quicker again and seems to be boosting a bit harder? I'm fairly convinced the intercooler has had a decent impact. Don't know if I can now play with turbo boost, or if there's any point? It was done on a whim, and cost under £150 so i'm fairly pleased with it. Will put some shots up very soon for anyone who fancies a tinker but needs a little shove!Thumbs Up Need a nice easy breathing exhaust now then. Micheal, Simon, can i buy a stainless silencer without down pipe?
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>