The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I bought this last night...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 10 at 23:02
For those that are interested (I know this is a T3 site but there's loads of petrol heads on this forum) after 5 hours clearing the garage out to the point that I have now got a good 1 meter around the whole car I have dumped the Ginetta on stands and assessed my rather rash purchase and the good news is that apart from some surface rust the chassis is completely sound (even the brake pipes still have their original protective coat on them), it's quite unbelieveable how good it is, but thinking about it I guess 28 years in dry storage would not have really had much effect on the 2 inch box section chassis.

So the plan is hatched, I'm not going to split the body from the chassis as there is absolutely no need and I don't want to stress the GRP body when there is no need, so it's going to be a overhaul of all 4 corners (bushes, bearings etc) complete brake overhaul, fuel system overhaul, engine and ancillary overhaul and then back on the road as is, I'll get the bodywork done at a later date because to be honest I'm loving the charm of the old girl too much to restore her cosmetically, not only that this strategy gets her on the road pretty quickly and having read the road test reports I am desperate to give it a blast.

There are a few cosmetic things I will sort though so she will get new carpets and headlining and I need to replace the door perspex windows and the sliders, oh and sort the drooping drivers door.

I might stick up a build thread if anyone is interested and assuming I am allowed to post a Non VW build on the forum.
Stacey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Tracie "Poo Poo" Magoo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 10:09
do it! I wanna see!
I sell cars and campers.
www.qualitycarsuk.co.uk
~And I like filth, ginger people, drunk Welsh people and fingering food
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 15:06
go for it chap & then slat a stoopid engine in it, here's one of many i've done Big smile

Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 10 at 22:18

That's an interesting read D&D, funny that you should mention a stoopid engine as I was thinking the other day that as the Ginetta only weighs 500ish Kg's that it would be a fairly good candidate for a big bike engine (if the imp motors a duffer).

I wouldn't want to go too stoopid and ruin the weight distribution and handling so a bike motor would be ideal, not sure how it would couple to the gearbox though or if alternative gearboxes are available.

First things first get the old motor going and see what it's like.
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 10 at 07:01
Bike engines are real easy to fit, you can buy the gearbox coupling for about £250. If you get chance go to a Hill Climb as there are loads of Imps being raced & the owners are usually friendly & will talk you through their conversions, you might get some cheap parts too.
 Anything is possible when it comes to modding, this used to a 1985 Yammy Tri-Z 250. I stretched the frame with ducati style latice & extended the swinger then fitted a 600cc engine. Its now on the road somewhere Big smile

Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
robliscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robliscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 16 at 15:34
Don't go the bike-engined route! However good it is all you'll do is ruin a brilliant car. Use whatever you'd otherwise spend on uprating the lovely Imp engine, you'll still need a change of underwear.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 16 at 20:24
you joined the forum to answer a 6 year old post? Pinch we have a mong-tard winner for 2016!! LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
robliscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robliscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 16 at 21:42
Well there are no years given on the date shown so I thought it was last month! I'm happy to win the award with so much of the year left to run though... don't bother trying anybody, it's mine!
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 16 at 21:57
Big smile
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 16 at 07:59
12 Aug 10

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
robliscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robliscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 16 at 09:41
Well done smart arse. If you are not a subscriber the dates aren't displayed. I wasn't when I read the post and I subscribed so I could respond to it.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 16 at 19:57
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 16 at 21:43
hold on, he's not taking my crown...

surely running over your own foot with a trike is better than that?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 16 at 09:18

I reckon you're right Hutch, running over your own foot with your own trike is definitely gold medal winning mong tard behaviour, LOLLOLLOL  he can still be silver madalist though Thumbs Up
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
robliscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robliscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 16 at 09:38
I protest!!

When did you allegedly run over your own foot with a trike?
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 16 at 12:55
I'm still not completely sure how hutch managed that one
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 16 at 20:45
you've never met him then.......

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 16 at 20:54
LOL
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 08:54
Or seen his driving/riding skills
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 17:54
ErmmLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>