FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing coolant somewhere!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing coolant somewhere!
    Posted: 28 Jan 17 at 08:14
Originally posted by festa festa wrote:

Just thought I would report.
It's broken.....
Water pump is still ok though.

Glass half full then  .......   Wink  LOL
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 17 at 08:11
Just thought I would report.
It's broken.....7L coolant per 250miles and a smell of burning oil. Strip down had highlighted coolant running out the head where it's not supposed to be, between inlet ports 2 and 3 which looks like an oil gallery sealed off with a ball-bearing and down the back of the block.
Head lift which has stretched the head and crack bearing bolts, also broke the rear engine mount as it's stripped out the helicoiled mounting holes.
Injectors have been hammering into the top of the cylinders which have opened up cracks in the combustion areas and spread the cracking from the injector to behind the inlet/exhaust seats, also down to the heat plug.
Bore washed number 5 with blow back into the inlet port via the crack.
Would post some pictures if I can work out how
Water pump is still ok though.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 17 at 22:35
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Yes some will evaporate but if the driver has been topping up constantly it can't evaporate because it gets trapped under the oil as in the pic above.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it'  That's a bit rich coming from you isn't it? Tongue

Normally gets repaired when it's broke which is most of the time. Oh yes I haven't replaced the thermostat either    currently getting the new head ported as I have leak by on number 4 and it's being a pig to start some mornings, but I think the cracking had spread up through the valves and injector bore..It's not fully broke yet so I'm going to do nothing until it does. The trip to Devon and back might finish it off might need a tow home but that what the RAC are for.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 17 at 19:53
Yes some will evaporate but if the driver has been topping up constantly it can't evaporate because it gets trapped under the oil as in the pic above.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it'  That's a bit rich coming from you isn't it? Tongue

Edited by T5 TDI - 07 Jan 17 at 21:42
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 17 at 21:50
Mines on 220k and haven't bothered with the pump as if it's not broken then don't fix it, but then I tiptoe close to the edge. I have had water loss lately but that's cos the head has jumped and the head gasket is leaking into cylinder 5 between 4/5 as it's narrow there.
If the engine oil gets hot enough any water in the oil will evaporate anyway and water in the bore will get burnt off. I only know mines leaking into the bore because of the pitting on the head around the combustion chamber...Something to do with the antifreeze.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 17 at 19:41
I changed mine first at around 40,000 miles.  It wasn't leaking but I didn't want to take any chances.  But now I'm just over 100k.  I keep a close eye on the coolant level too but I think I will change it again because of the miles and the thought of the bearings getting slack but not actually causing the seal to leak.   

I've seen that many times on standard pumps but only once on our gear driven ones.

When I change it I'l report back. Smile
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 13:30
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

I think you just have to think of 2.5 water pumps as you would a cam belt. Whatever the manual says, after 50k- start gently sweating.  After 80k start really worrying.  Any more than that, start praying! 

Yeah, after 167,000km on mine I've been praying (and crossing all fingers and toes), but I also monitor the coolant level and oil levels and oil filler cap VERY closely.  I'm intending to replace the water pump at 180,000Km along with the gates couplings and quite a few other "sort-of" wear/service items on the engine.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 17 at 21:45
I think you just have to think of 2.5 water pumps as you would a cam belt. Whatever the manual says, after 50k- start gently sweating.  After 80k start really worrying.  Any more than that, start praying! 
2004 2.5 174
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 17 at 12:08
Yes, probably the beginning of the end. Prior to the water pump problem, the motor was a good un, small oil leak because of a botched repair but pulled like a train anyway.
Ah well just have to keep nursing it for as long as possible.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 17 at 01:47
Originally posted by stinkyfinger1 stinkyfinger1 wrote:

Hi guys
I've a 2004 T5 2.5 tdi 130 horse.
I've been down that route with continually topping up the expansion tank. Little did I know the wife got a warning and her brother being helpful, topped up the tank again, she watched this happening. So every time the warning appeared, she topped up, bless her 😀👍 . Anyway I work away from home, so when I was home and the warning came again, no problem she popped the bonnet and topped up, it was then I found out she had been doing this regularly 😡 after reading some of your blogs, decided to put it in for a new water pump. Picked up the bus and on the way home could only manage 50 kph down the motorway. Phoned the workshop and was told to bring it back in. He suggested that the main dealer have a look. It was then he mentioned that I should inform the dealer that there was a few litres of coolant came out with the engine oil.
Anyway, turned out the turbo was shagged😱
Nearly £3000 in total for the water pump, new turbo and the oil changes.
SO, be warned the 2.5 engines have a serious sickness.
Engine never quite been the same since, less power and now a whiff of blue smoke upon
start up.

Sorry about the longish story, good reading and a happy new year to all of you T5 ers.

Seeing as yours is an early build 2.5 lump I'd be suspicious of cam/follower wear - this is a common problem with these, and any problems with lubrication (eg coolant in water. wrong spec oil) is only going to make it worse.
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 16 at 19:20
Hi guys
I've a 2004 T5 2.5 tdi 130 horse.
I've been down that route with continually topping up the expansion tank. Little did I know the wife got a warning and her brother being helpful, topped up the tank again, she watched this happening. So every time the warning appeared, she topped up, bless her 😀👍 . Anyway I work away from home, so when I was home and the warning came again, no problem she popped the bonnet and topped up, it was then I found out she had been doing this regularly 😡 after reading some of your blogs, decided to put it in for a new water pump. Picked up the bus and on the way home could only manage 50 kph down the motorway. Phoned the workshop and was told to bring it back in. He suggested that the main dealer have a look. It was then he mentioned that I should inform the dealer that there was a few litres of coolant came out with the engine oil.
Anyway, turned out the turbo was shagged😱
Nearly £3000 in total for the water pump, new turbo and the oil changes.
SO, be warned the 2.5 engines have a serious sickness.
Engine never quite been the same since, less power and now a whiff of blue smoke upon
start up.
Sorry about the longish story, good reading and a happy new year to all of you T5 ers.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 16 at 02:01
Excellent result Thumbs Up

Is your 1.9 motor one of the (many) VW engines where you should replace the water pump as part of normal maintenance ?  I know it is recommended for a lot of the 4 cyl engines (and a good idea for the T5  5cyl one as well). 

Edited by gregozedobe - 12 Feb 16 at 02:01
graceedoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graceedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 16 at 13:01
Hello, the coolant light warning light came on on my 2006 1.9 T5 Transporter camper van conversion a coupe of weeks ago. Initial inspection revealed that the coolant expansion chamber was below minimum level. This should not happen as the system is a closed system. I topped the coolant up with approved coolant, not just water, and took the bus for a run. Yes the coolant warning light went off. The next day, the warning light came back on and popping the hood the level had dropped again. However, with no obvious signs of leaks or smells. Fearing the worst, a pressure check revealed and identified that the seal on the expansion bottle was at fault. Replaced the cap and coolant...problem solved...
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 14 at 22:33
The water pump in the T5 5 pot was a value adding feature for VW profits by fitting a utter piece of crap designed to fail.

What really pissed me off was car drivers got it done free and we get to pay to sort their sh1te!
stefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 14 at 21:39
Thanks, we already did that and the EGR cooler is not at fault. Pressure test is ok, exhaust test came back fine too. 
I just wanted to make sure that I got this correct and it is the EGR cooler, not the valve, that was at fault in the original poster's case.

My local garage (they turn over lots of cars and have generally got a good hunch) recommended taking a closer look at the water pump. I've booked it in to get it changed as the van has done nearly 80,000 miles and a water pump change won't hurt in any case. Heard many horror stories about them failing in the 2.5 TDI engine.

Will keep you posted. Stumped so far as no signs of leaks, no oil in water, no water in oil, no white smoke, nada...

Cheers 

Stefan

VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 14 at 21:07
Best way to see if the cooler is leaking is to carry out a coolant system pressure test if pressure drop is seen remove the 2 coolant pipes join them together to keep the circuit complete and redo pressure test if no drop in pressure the cooler is your problem and you havent spent out money on a part
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
stefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 14 at 08:39
Warming up your old thread here.

Just to clarify (as I too have a water leak on my T5 2.5 Auto): it wasn't the EGR valve that had the split, it was the EGR cooler, correct?

Cheers 

Stefan

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 17:39
Another reason to banish EGR valves to the history books!

These things are there purely to please tree huggers and do not help a vehicle in any way

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 13:48
Good news Thumbs Up  Re the EGRs for future info I believe all autos have the water cooled EGR valve and possibly all later vans (2008 on?)  The EGR itself is different too being electrically operated as opposed to the vacuum operated earlier EGRs.  The coolant pipes going to it give it away. Wink

Thanks for letting us know Vantasy, many don't bother.
2004 2.5 174
Vantasy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vantasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 10 at 13:07
At long last the root cause of coolant loss has 'seemingly' been exposed! The EGR valve was today found to have a split seam allowing the slow ingress of coolant. EGR valve, oil and filter will now be changed and hopefully all fixed after nine weeks of investigation and over 500 miles of experimental test driving - I'll just be tentative and watch and wait.........and then relax and get back into camper mode!

Thanks for all the input into this topic - I hope it helps someone else trying to find out where their coolant is going.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>