The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ferry crossing tips with T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ka4564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ferry crossing tips with T5
    Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 18:05
hi guys
looking for some advice as regard the best and cheapest way to get to Europe this August, avoiding Dover if possible. Plymouth would be my preferred option but I'm sure i can get a week in Barbados for that price!
any advice appreciated as always.
simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 18:34
Eurotunnel with tesco vouchers
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 21:06
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

Eurotunnel with tesco vouchers

Thumbs Up. Yep, about the best thing in the Tesco voucher catalogue.

Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 21:26
Here's my Tip.  Watch your headroom. I lost the roofrack of my T2 as I got off the Zakynthos to Killini ferry in Greece in 1990. It's a bugger when you have to find room for suitcases and stuff in an already full up van.
Poo IS funny.
fozzy T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzy T5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 08:35
if you take a ferry book early its normally alot cheaper, bit late now i know..
simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 10 at 09:51
If you know anyone who is a member of the caravan club they do good offers and you can see all the prices in one place with the different prices for different times.
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
andysam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andysam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 00:20
You can't use Tesco vouchers for any Channel xing now except the short bit. However! Use the vouchers to book one or two nights touring at a SIBLU holiday place and book the ferry through them and you can pay for the Plymouth/Portsmouth ferry with the vouchers ;-) Simples.
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 01:46
depending on how long you are going for it might be cheaper to book two trips, one for going out (get an overnight return ticket from the uk) and one for the return (overnight return ticket from france)......make sure you do the return from france though as if you do it from england, you effectively miss the journey and it makes your ticket void. - found out the hard way
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
peej61 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peej61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 07:35
I do this 2 or 3 times a year to visit family.
I have found that the Poole / Weymouth to Saint Malo crossing via the Channel Islands with Condor Ferries is usually a fair bit cheaper than Brittany Ferries from Plymouth - the exception being the one I have just booked for next week! - summer prices!
The overnight ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff is a very nice crossing and the times are good can drive down in the evening and arrive early morning.

Edited by peej61 - 15 Jul 10 at 07:36
The Dark Side is Forever
trenchfoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trenchfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 10:06
On this subject how do ferry companys and the tunnel class T5's size wise. I have a caravelle would it come under MPV/4x4 or van?
ragged View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 10:31
We just drove to Finland in the multivan and all the ferrys classed us a a "large car" upto 5m length and under 2m high i think
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 13:32
I wonder if they'd actually check the extra 10cm a LWB T5 is over the 5.0m limit on length?

ragged View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 13:41
I wouldn't think so tbh, no one even looked at the van or what was in it at all and that was 3 ferrys Wink
Now I've said that we will be stoped at every port on the way back lol

Edited by ragged - 15 Jul 10 at 13:41
Marv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 13:48
Originally posted by ragged ragged wrote:

We just drove to Finland in the multivan and all the ferrys classed us a a "large car" upto 5m length and under 2m high i think

To Ragged - which way do you go to Finland?
Mrs M is from there and I have a trip over next year
Ta. Marv
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 13:53
Originally posted by ragged ragged wrote:

I wouldn't think so tbh, no one even looked at the van or what was in it at all and that was 3 ferrys Wink
Now I've said that we will be stoped at every port on the way back lol

LOL yeah probably jinxed yourself now!

Whenever we're doing ferry crossings it's the Hull-Zebrugge/Rotterdam option for us. Dover is such a long ballache of a drive for us, takes almost 2 hours just to reach the Scotland-England border. Hull's <5hrs and the overnight crossing breaks up the journey nicely. Worth the extra cost IMO. More importantly for us: we're usually heading for the Alps area, so we get to enjoy the better roads down through Germany rather than get robbed on the toll roads in France Smile

We have got Rosyth 30mins drive from the house but those crossings are a waste of time: costly and slow...
ragged View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 17:19
we have to drive from the isle of man Smile to Dover then it's calais,Germany,Denmark,Sweden,Finland
2450km in 3 days, glad I have the 174 LOL

Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 19:46
When we took the van to Norway we declared it as sub-5m length but more honest souls would have correctly classed it as over 5m because of the towbar.  Of course, no-one checked!   LOL
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Fast[Plumber View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 21:17
Ive joined the Brittany Ferries owners abroad scheme.

Costs about £ 80 to join the first year, and about £40 the next years.

gives some good discounts - saved about £150 on the Le mans trip, and had a cabin both ways - they chuck those in for free,- great if were away with the kids, secure base for all the stuff and a  clean shower and toilet!
T30 174 SWB.
Raven Blue,new Sportlines.
Im the one with the silly smile when Driving!
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 21:26
caravelle is classed as car rates on a ferry so thats what we call the Kombi, saves confusion and hassle and its cheap
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
 Post Reply Post Reply