The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 beeps on startup after flat battery. Why?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 beeps on startup after flat battery. Why?
    Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 21:06
Hi, I flattened my battery recently and ever since then there have been about 6 beeps every time i start the engine. The battery light goes out on starting and it starts just fine every time. Can anyone tell me please why it's beeping and how to reset it? I spoke to VW and they said that i'd have to take it into them to get it reset = £££ i could really do without spending.

Thanks a lot
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 21:13
Originally posted by jooliohoolio jooliohoolio wrote:

Hi, I flattened my battery recently and ever since then there have been about 6 beeps every time i start the engine. The battery light goes out on starting and it starts just fine every time. Can anyone tell me please why it's beeping and how to reset it? I spoke to VW and they said that i'd have to take it into them to get it reset = £££ i could really do without spending.

Thanks a lot

My guess is its stored a "low voltage" (or similar) fault code from the battery being run down, all it needs is a scan/reset via VAG COM/VCDS

Where you from?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
jooliohoolio View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 21:20
Thanks for your speedy response, I live in north devon but regularly travel to exeter,  bristol and occasionaly down to bournemouth.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 21:30
No worries, had you been local we could have sorted something but the small matter of a large puddle between us rules that out (I live in Northern Ireland)

Someone in your locality with VAG COM would be your best bet - its certainly not worth paying for your local VW dealers christmas party over!

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 00:13
Ok - thanks for the offer. Any ideas on how to track somebody down with a vag com?
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 03:53
My battery is shagged. So much so that it won't hold a charge for more than three days. No beeping from mine though...
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 09:51
sounds ominous, sure would be good to see what happens after resetting the codes with a vag com - I'm pretty new to the t5 world and new to this forum any ideas on how to hook up with someone with a vag com? Is there anyone on the forum in the devon or bristol area who has one?
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 09:54
Are you sure the flat battery hasn't reset the seatbelt chime? That is a lot of beeps after start up or something along those lines...
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 15:56
Not sure what the seat belt chime sounds like - it's never gone off before.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 16:08
If the battery gets low on voltage then the ECU etc will too and this has been known to "confuse" the electrics and cause daft messages

My Golf run its battery down after my wife left the keys in it for a whole weekend(!) and it resulted in the remote fob no longer being able to unlock the boot, once the battery was fully charged I disconnected the battery and left it overnight - problem solved!

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 16:36
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that part of my problem may be that in spite of a few long drives since flattening the battery it may still be a bit low - only problem is where i live it's not that easy to charge battery up as i can't get power to the vehicle where it's laid up. I suppose i could remove battery bring to house and charge up indoors - this is starting to get technical for me Wacko - any tips on do's and don'ts when removing battery to charge?
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 19:05

Are there any orange lights showing. Mine used to beep for the brake pad sensor. I've also heard it beep for low oil level, low coolant level and for low fuel. A dud battery can cause all sorts of grief, and so can a dodgy earth. Might be worth checking out the earth strap between the gearbox and the chassis.

Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 19:31
Yeah, not convinced it'll be anything like the earth as the problem only started immediately after the battery went flat - it made this noise as soon as i started it Cry
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 10 at 20:05
Disconnect the battery over night and that may "reset" the ECU (worked on my Golf), better still if you can charge its while its disconnected, if you have to remove it, its easy enough, remove the battery clamps (1 bolt each) and the clamp which secures the battery (1 more bolt)
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 10 at 07:57
nice one energysolutions - gonna give it a go

trenchfoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trenchfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 10:53
i have a vagcom based in northcornwall (tintagel) work in Hosworthy north devon!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jooliohoolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 11:14
hey trenchfoot,

nice one mate, would be great to hook up some time with you. wish i'd found this forum - and you - a little earlier as i must've virtually driven past your front door last week when i went down to mawgan porth camping! okey dokey, well i'm maybe  off to dorset this week so maybe could hook up either on way there or back or next week - would be a good excuse for me to head off to bude for a bit of surfing as holsworthy isn't exactly round the corner as i live near woolacombe.
 Post Reply Post Reply