The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Knocking from the steering arm shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knocking from the steering arm shaft
    Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 12:56
Aye , very easy job , Like you said no need to remove ball joints , think I had it done in 20 minutes

Did it solve my knocking ???????? ermm no , turned out to be the ball joint in the centre rod assembly , Luckily I had one in the shed , so swapped it over and the knock has gone , Think I'll get a new one at some point , But at 170 quid they aren't cheap , ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220520802693&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT ) , does any know of anywhere that can recon them ?  seems a right waste for a £10 ball joint     
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 10:19
Job now done, have you done yours yet and how did it go?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 10 at 00:22
Cheers mate, I look forwards to it arriving in the post soon!
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 21:39
Matt , there the shaft , 2 bearings , dust cap , washer and seal/washer . 

miserable fooker

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 16:53
Originally posted by t'onion t'onion wrote:

There are only 4 in the country ,so I've ordered another one just incase the other side goes. GSF have said thats it no more Ouch 
Only 1 left now! I've just bitten the bullet as I know the other side on mine has slight wear. I bet they won't know what's hit them, no orders for years and then 3 in a day!
From memory I don't think there was any visible wear on the shaft, just a bit shiny. The bushes themselves were gold coloured (brass or perhaps phosphor bronze?) so would be softer than the (probably hardened) steel shaft. Do you not get the shaft with this kit then?
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 10 at 16:22
Ok I've picked up the parts , yup £15 + vat - discount ... There are only 4 in the country ,so I've ordered another one just incase the other side goes. GSF have said thats it no more Ouch 

Matt can you remember was it just the bushes that were buggered or the pin itself ..

miserable fooker

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 10 at 10:08
Cheers Matt , and thanks for the removal advice , just read the haynes and I see where your coming from Thumbs Up

miserable fooker

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 10 at 10:03
Oooh, now you're asking! I can't usually remember what I did yesterday let alone 2 years ago...

I got the top and bottom (brass?) 'bearings', pretty sure the shaft too and a dust cap. I can't remember what seals the swivel has, but I would definitely have remembered if they DIDN'T come with the kit. It was one of those (very rare!) jobs where everything goes smoothly, I hope I haven't cursed you now!
I would try and make sure it's not for the LT40 upwards, as I think they have a different steering/suspension set up.
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 10 at 07:58
Matt , what did you get in the kit ? 

miserable fooker

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 22:20
That sounds a good price considering I paid over twice that from ECP when I did mine. Hope it is the right one!
TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 16:40
That will do or : "Big King Pin Set"
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 15:37
Would I be right in thinking it could be called a swivel pin kit ? or king pin kit
GSF are listing them
http://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/results.asp

432VG0030 STEERING SWIVEL PIN KIT  LT 2/78 >  £15.00

Edited by t'onion - 28 Jun 10 at 16:47

miserable fooker

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 14:53
Originally posted by TwoSheds TwoSheds wrote:

t'onion

Very likely that VW Van Centre will still be able to supply these items.

cheers , will try them too

miserable fooker

TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 14:45
t'onion

Very likely that VW Van Centre will still be able to supply these items.
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 12:41
Cheers Matt .. will nip down to ECP tomorrow and ask Thumbs Up

miserable fooker

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 12:36
I know the rebuild kit was available from Euro Car Parts a couple of years ago, as I bought one myself. Not a difficult job, although I found it easier not to follow the Haynes advice for removal and took the arm off the shaft in situ rather than splitting the ball joints in the steering linkages. However it's no longer on their website but is likely still available. If you do find it, I'm after another to do the other side so please let us know where you find it. So long as you don't nab the last one!LOL
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 10:43
Is the rebuild kit still available ?
Anyone done this?
Its no.8 in the lower picture

Thanks

miserable fooker

Post Reply Post Reply