The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LT 31 1982 Yreg Anyone know what engine will fit?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 31 1982 Yreg Anyone know what engine will fit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tazz-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 31 1982 Yreg Anyone know what engine will fit?
    Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 14:46
I have at the mo a 4 clinder engine 2000cc in my LT 31 y reg but if I'm lucky I only get 18miles to the gallon out of it. I would like to put 6 clinder in maybe higher cc.
Does anyone know what would fit please?
Tazz-man VW LT 31, 1981-82, Y Reg, HighTop Homebuilt Camper
The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 21:14
Hop to the top. :)

I have the same engine in my LT35 and it's gutless :( the old aircooled T3 was far, far faster. (i know it was 1/3 the size;)).

I'm LPG's so would like to keep on petrol. Is there a simple swap?
Tazz-man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tazz-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 10 at 01:06
Ohhhhh LPG, lovely! I was thinking of converting my self. There are some kits around for about £500. I not sure how hard it is tho, to do your self!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 10 at 10:02
The principles behind it aren't that difficult, but make sure you understand COP 11 before you start, and follow it. Some of it is obvious, but some things you may not think of. And make sure you find someone who will be willing to certify it safe beforehand. Some installers are reluctant to certify DIY installations, and I believe that legally they can only certify kits they have been trained with (i.e. ones they sell). Otherwise all they can do is give you a report to say whether it meets the COP requirements or not.
I'm a fan of LPG (we have a couple of Discovery V8s so it makes sense!) and if I had a petrol camper I'd use a tank with a vapour take off as well to run the cooker/fridge etc. There are a few doomsayers out there but in my experience they've either not tried it or they've had experience with a poor quality kit, or a bad installation. Done well it works well, simple as that.
Probably the simplest swap would be the 6 cylinder petrol from the later LTs, especially if you can find a donor vehicle. Engine swaps (apart from like for like) are so much easier if you have the 2 vehicles side by side!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 10 at 17:50
6 cylinder engines won't fit the 4 cylinder bodyshell without major mods as the whole floorpan in the cab is a different shape.
Tazz-man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tazz-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 10 at 20:37
Oh thats a shame thanks for your help tho!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 00:16
Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

6 cylinder engines won't fit the 4 cylinder bodyshell without major mods as the whole floorpan in the cab is a different shape.

Sorry - that'll teach me for making assumptions!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
 Post Reply Post Reply