The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!
    Posted: 18 May 10 at 21:10
Hello everybody, come the weekend i shall be picking up my first camper. It's a t4 1.9td, which is of unknown mileage and history. The van itself has done 260k+ so i doubt the engine is original.
The plan is to change to a 1.9 tdi, i've tried searching for conversion details but not really found anything detailed as of yet, anyone got any links they could share?

I'm no virgin when it comes to engine conversions, i built a mini with a 1.8 honda vtec in, thing is it took me 2 years! not an option with the camper as i need to have it back on the road quick sharp.
I would like to look into the later pd engines, need to look into wether the immobiliser can be removed from the ecu though. Then rebuild it and make it look nice. All bushes and bearings on the van will be replaced as well.

I will share some pics next week.

Cheers, Mat

Edited by mallott - 13 Sep 11 at 17:12
JB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 20:13
Get a passat/audi/whatever (volvo did a 2.5tdi which is basically the VW engine, and good for silly power).. Swap bits.. Make a few bits.. Flog the rest.. Bob's ya mother's brother..
If it ain't broke - fix it till it is..
T4trickster View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T4trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 10 at 06:28
I was one of the first in the UK to do 1.9 tdi into T4 in fact the second..... ring and ill give you the run downWink
01536 830030
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 16:38
Originally posted by T4trickster T4trickster wrote:

I was one of the first in the UK to do 1.9 tdi into T4 in fact the second..... ring and ill give you the run downWink
01536 830030
Thanks for that, i will call sometime over the weekend, here she is. Needs a new bush in the gear linkage that i got today, and she needed a GOOD polish, mostly done now but taken me 3 nights. Just got to fix the nest of budgies living underneath now, time to lose the undertray me thinks!

mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 10 at 18:42
Ok, started today fitting central locking to the van, the kit is off fleabay sold by rightclick about £43 all in iirc, first impressions are very good, the fobs could be mistaken as oem vw really.

Anyway i took a bit of time making sure it was all laid out nice in the van, binding all the wires (all wires are supplied loose) making everything neat and tidy.

The wires for the rear door need extending, and i forgot to order a sliding door contact, doh! at the moment only the drivers door is wired up, passengers should be done tomorrow. Really happy with the result so farSmile

The magic box lives quite happily behind the fusebox tucked down behind the wheelarch rubber, will take a pic of the solenoid in the door tomorrow.

Mat

staffydog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staffydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 10 at 19:15
I have fitted a few central locking kits in the past and none have had a satisfactory way of getting the wires into the doors unless an original gaiter is fitted to the vehicle to carry the wires.This eventually causes the wires to fracture and work intermitently. 
I have just fitted a kit to my T4 having used gaiters from an LDV that was in the scrapyard (best place for it) The gaiter has a grommet type fitting either end and is small enough to be able to fix into the original blanking plugs and allows the wires to bend without kinking.
wind welder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wind welder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 10 at 19:56
Originally posted by staffydog staffydog wrote:

I have fitted a few central locking kits in the past and none have had a satisfactory way of getting the wires into the doors unless an original gaiter is fitted to the vehicle to carry the wires.This eventually causes the wires to fracture and work intermitently. 
I have just fitted a kit to my T4 having used gaiters from an LDV that was in the scrapyard (best place for it) The gaiter has a grommet type fitting either end and is small enough to be able to fix into the original blanking plugs and allows the wires to bend without kinking.

Hi you will wish you had gone to the extra of fitting the gen VW bellows!

The bellows go through 3 skins  the door the outer skin of the van and the inner skin of the van the problem with T4's  is the space between the inner and outer skins is actually outside the van and will be noisy, cold in the winter and if you are really unlucky wet too.

I have fitted loads of T4 kits  (I used too do a bulk buy on another forum)and will only use gen VW bellows for the above reasons.

Cheers Trev.
T4 pedal box exchange service
07989 403806
trevor.miles@catchfire.co.uk
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 10 at 16:41
I did intend to get the proper bellows, couldn't be arsed to make a special trip into plymouth to get some though, i need to stick some more wires through for door speakers soon so i can fit them then. Still waiting for the sliding door contact, all the rest is done and works fab!
Had to fit another horn as the original dropped offEmbarrassed i had a double horn from an alfa gtv in the garage so thats gone on.
Now looking at a change of seats as the drivers is proper fooked, i am keeping the double front, and am thinking of recovering the double with the fabric from the rear seat of the donor. How easy/succesful this will be, remains to be seen!
Other than that i've been looking at speakers, what a minefield! Think i'm going to go with JBL as thats what i've got in the house and i like them!

Mat
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 10 at 20:59
Well cl is all done, well chuffed! I rang vw about the bellows £17.50 odd eachOuch Seems a bit steep to me!
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 10 at 22:18
Hello Matt, nice bus, should of bought a T3 thoughWink
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 08:19
Bonjour James and Matt, how you guys doing? long time no see! Don't know if you cottoned on from 16vmini but i've sold the blue meanie, a guy from holland bought it, he's going to change it to lhd! nutter. he may as well start from scratch!
I was looking at t3s for a long time, nearly bought 3, all the decent ones seemed to be oop country a fair way and i didn't have enough spare time to go driving round. Then this came up and i snapped it up!
Scooby lump going well?
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 17:35
I'm good thanks mate, I'd heard you'd sold the mini, decided to sell ours as well,  it's been on ebay for a week or so, lots of interest but no offers enough yet,  got one guy who's offered 6.5k which isn't bad, going to hang on for a bit more, want 7k really.

The bus is going very well, just had a repaint so it's all proper clean now,   Matt's finally seen the light and bought a T3,  as you'd expect it's got the wrong engine in itLOL

T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 10 at 21:28
Good job again chaps, think i'm going down the 1.9 tdi pd engine with this, been looking at donors today. Need to keep diesel, got used to not filling up so much!  Next time i'm over your way i'll give you a bell and come round for a nosey! We ended up taking 6.5 for ours in the end, could have held out for more (7) but mot insurance (and tax, hah!) was coming up, would have needed 4 tyres so we decided to get rid then.

Edited by mallott - 03 Jun 10 at 21:31
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 10 at 21:45
Upgraded the choones in the van, now i have real sound, not just a tinny mess coming from the dash!

Also when i bought the van, the mileage was unknown. I did a search for the mot history and the last recorded mileage on an mot was 249k, a year had passed so i thought it would be around 260.

While i was faffing around with the speaker wires i pressed the back of the dash and noticed the mileage display flicker, i then ripped the dash out to find a small piece of paper stuffed under the mileage lcd display, dodgy bastard! anyway it now works and i have 254k!

I've also treated a bit of rust that was under the drivers door seal, need to get some paint on it soon.

Turns out the later pd engines are a no no, so i am on the lookout for a reasonable mileage tdi donor

Mat
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 21:32
Seems  i have found myself a passat donorSmile just got to get it back from deepest darkest cornwallConfused
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 10 at 18:13
This afternoon i have taken delivery of the passat, and started the strip down, it's absolutely lashing it down so just been taking the dash apart, the battery is on charge so i cant get it in the garage yet!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 10 at 19:27
After charging the battery i attempted to start the car.... oh dear, was turning over but no start up, i noticed the glow plug light was not coming on. i checked to see if the glow plug relay was working and all seemed to be fine.
Had a quick search for 1z non start which led me to tdiclub and a very helpful post on there, turned out my 109 relay had gone kaput with one of the pins breaking the solder. So i took the cap off and resoldered all the joints popped it back together and vroom straight away, Bonza!

Got the engine out this afternoon and started to remove the loom but its raining again and my back hurts, beer time!

Will carry on tomorrow and hopefully be in a position that i can get rid of the passat shell.

I have taken some pics but it just looks like every other dirty engine!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 10 at 21:00
The loom is all out of the shell, i believe i have removed everything i need! Whats the bets i have forgotten something!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 10 at 16:59
Got rid of the passat today
 need to start cleaning and stripping now!
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 19:35
Pull your finger out mate,  Matt's SVX bus passed it's MOT todayEvil Smile

Got a new project too 

T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>