The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EGR delete and intake manifold clean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 18:51
Sort of on topic. Thinking of doing the EGR blank and getting a de-cat stainless steel exhaust. 

Would all this put a lot of pressure on the turbo? 

Mistadave, what changes did you notice with your exhaust?
Brian Vantana. 60% of the time it works everytime!

2012 Subaru Impreza with a roof rack and tinted windows
2006 Rio Kia5 1.6 with heated seats and a remote start.
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 19:29
Originally posted by Ian156 Ian156 wrote:

Sort of on topic. Thinking of doing the EGR blank and getting a de-cat stainless steel exhaust. 

Would all this put a lot of pressure on the turbo? 

Mistadave, what changes did you notice with your exhaust?

Quite the opposite, removing the CAT will reduce the stress on the turbo ie the exhaust gases will escape easier

A blocked CAT/DPF can spell the end for a turbo so get shot of it

The Decat will help MPG, increase power, extend the turbo life and probably outlast the van (stainless)

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Ian156 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:16
What am I waiting for!! And I have a 54 plate so shouldnt have those pescky engine fault codes.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:24
Originally posted by Ian156 Ian156 wrote:

What am I waiting for!! And I have a 54 plate so shouldnt have those pescky engine fault codes.

Nope, my van is a 2004 and I have both EGR blank + Decat pipe with no fault codes

Treat your van to a new K+N filter too for the full effectLOL
lwb174caravelle View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lwb174caravelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:53
BTW mine is a 56 plate (without a DPF) and fitting the EGR blank did not bring up any dash warning lights.
It appears that there are many simple things that can be done to improve the engine efficiency but if the EGR is blanked,  the is cat taken out,  no DPF, and then more efficient pipework installed, could this not increase the Nox emissions and therefore risk it failing the MOT?

2005 VW T5 174 Blue Caravelle Tiptronic E.Yorks
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 20:58
Originally posted by lwb174caravelle lwb174caravelle wrote:

BTW mine is a 56 plate (without a DPF) and fitting the EGR blank did not bring up any dash warning lights.
It appears that there are many simple things that can be done to improve the engine efficiency but if the EGR is blanked,  the is cat taken out,  no DPF, and then more efficient pipework installed, could this not increase the Nox emissions and therefore risk it failing the MOT?

You will either have a CAT or DPF, not both

Diesels aint tested as stringently as petrols, I believe its really only a smoke test (which any diesel running half right will pass) and NOX etc is not measured

Edited by energysolutions - 27 Jul 10 at 20:58
Fast[Plumber View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 21:22
With all this new found power, have you boys taken out the plastic 'restrictor' behind the radiator grille, covering 40% of the inlet area????
T30 174 SWB.
Raven Blue,new Sportlines.
Im the one with the silly smile when Driving!
Ian156 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian156 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 21:58
Ay? Whats that? Piccies?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:19
OLd post.............. theres a piece of plastic that fits into the air inlet just behind the rad grille that when its not fitted will give you some ram effect. Honest its there was a thread here year or so ago......... ill look for it
T30 174 SWB.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:21
Originally posted by Fast[Plumber Fast[Plumber wrote:

OLd post.............. theres a piece of plastic that fits into the air inlet just behind the rad grille that when its not fitted will give you some ram effect. Honest its there was a thread here year or so ago......... ill look for it

I`m waiting with GREAT anticipation.......Big smile

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:30
Im looking, help me out someone!
T30 174 SWB.
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:35
I remember reading that, another placebo effect what a load of bollocks.

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 22:35
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/free-engine-upgrade_topic31584_post237264.html?KW=power+upgrade#237264

Ta da!

Read on..................... bet you all do it tomorrow!!!
T30 174 SWB.
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 12:56
Perhaps the build-up of soot and oil in the intercooler decreases the cooling effect the intercooler has - this will cause loss of performance and economy.   The difference in power between the T4 without intercooler and with intercooler is 14 PS (88 V 102).  I'm not sure all that power was down to the piddly little intercooler that the T4 has, but it seems that cool induction air really does bring a significant benefit - so the cooler it is, the better.

Last weekend I drove 120 miles with my banked EGR duct, sticking to the speed limits which I've never done before (most are 43 and 56 mph here in Latvia), and my van returned 47 mpg! (by MFD).  I'll be doing a couple of long trips in August, so I'll be more sure of the benefits later.
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lwb174caravelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 13:57
Happy Yellow. 120 miles at 42-56 mph !!! That must be soul destroying Confused    
And here's me thinking 10 miles of roadworks with 50mph average speed cameras is torture ! But having said that, I would love to get 47mpg. 

It will be interesting to see what a steady 50 will return with my new blacking plate fitted.

Just also took my little plastic restrictor plate off . I will see if I can notice any difference later today.
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 15:53
Do u think i will have warranty issues if i fit an egr blanking plate? it sounds like a premium mod!
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lwb174caravelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 16:00
It's an easy fit and likewise it's easy to remove so if you thought you might have a warranty issue I would remove it before taking it into the stealers.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 18:16
I`d be more concerned about the fact that your van is a later model and they usually throw up an error code when the blanking plate is fitted which has two consequences:

1) A light on the dash (annoying)
2) A stored fault code in the ECU which the dealer can find/question if the ECU is interogated during a service (unless of course you clear the code with VCDS before the serviceWink)

blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 20:43
well i do have vcds now!!
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:13
Originally posted by blackvanman blackvanman wrote:

well i do have vcds now!!

Yes indeed.....Wink

How you getting on with it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>