The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EGR delete and intake manifold clean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EGR delete and intake manifold clean
    Posted: 06 May 10 at 07:59
I've just ordered the EGR blank off kit from brickwerks for my 2.5 :)

I'm wondering if it would also be a good time to try and clean out the inlet manifold? has anyone previously attempted this, and how complicated is removal for cleaning?

I'm worried that I'll be presented with a similar disgusting mess to the one I found when taking the intake assembly apart on my vito a few years ago:

on another topic - I fitted the K&N panel filter yesterday. Clap lovely!

cjm_2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 18:46
the blanking plate arrived today. fitting was an absolute piece of cake - took me less than ten mins.

I treaded gingerly for the first few miles - the increased turbo noise was initially quite worrying. but even treading gingerly, the difference in pick up was immediately obvious.

once normal temp was reached I gave it some beans. all I can say is 'wow'.

there's no noticeable lag anymore. between 1200 and 2000k revs the grunt is astounding. in situations where I used to have to mash the loud pedal into the carpet in third and fourth, now there's just a lovely seam of oomph with immediate response.

brilliant.

now I'm just waiting for something to go pop :)
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 19:43
What was the quality of the kit like? Also which engine have you got? 130 or 174 and have you had it re-mapped? 

Sounds like fun though!!
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
cjm_2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 20:09
Originally posted by Ruds Ruds wrote:

What was the quality of the kit like? Also which engine have you got? 130 or 174 and have you had it re-mapped? 

Sounds like fun though!!

it's a late 2005 2.5 130.

no remap - just a K&N panel filter and the egr mod, which was about a fiver from brickwerks.

it is fun - but there's always the little voice of worry about increased turbo temps...!
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:10
I think enough people do this to VAG engines that you can be relatively confident. I'll order a EGR blank tomorrow Big smile
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:22
Another quick question... My T5 is remapped, if fit an EGR blank how will the ECU react and would I get more of a benefit if the EGR cycles was switched off in the ECU?
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:49

Another quick question... My T5 is remapped, if fit an EGR blank how will the ECU react and would I get more of a benefit if the EGR cycles was switched off in the ECU?

As I understand it fitting the EGR blank physically blocks the inlet for recycling exhaust gases so no matter what the ECU tells the valve no gases can be recycled

I believe some people have had a fault light come on after fitting the plate so I can only surmise that there is a sensor in this area on some vehicles which detects that gases are not/cannot be recycled which registers as a fault (this is only my theory)

My van was fine and fitting the plate caused no dramas, I would imagine that turning off the EGR cycles in the software would do no harm but it may not be necessary as the inlet is physically blocked anyhow

HTH
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
cjm_2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 10 at 07:51
mpg: my trip is on 453 miles and I haven't hit the last quarter on the gauge yet.

normally i'd be expecting to hit the last quarter mark at around 400 miles....
cjm_2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 07:06
seems I was a bit premature with my 50 mile tank range bonus!

the light came on at 523 miles. fair enough - i've been enjoying the extra oomph, I only did the mod halfway through the tankful, and the van was full of kart and tools for practice yesterday.

I do wonder though - the turbo is a lot louder - is this normal?

the 'schrroooossshhhhh' sound that's been bugging me for so long has pretty much gone. must have been EGR related, which makes sense as the sound was originating from the exhaust manifold area.

the pipework for the EGR is pretty long and originates from the exhaust manifold. does anyone know where I could get some sort of blanking panel for that, so I can remove the entire pipe? my concern is strange back-pressure behaviour resulting from more than a foot of redunant pipe*.

*fnaar.

Edited by cjm_2008 - 10 May 10 at 07:18
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 09:25
I thought the EGR plate went on the exhaust side?
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
cjm_2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 09:53

I've put mine at the only logical place I could see - at the join next to the filler cap:

the back of the pipe runs to the exhaust manifold next to the block and bulkead - the join to the exhaust manifold looks totally different (has three mounting screws for a start).
Tim the gas View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 17:04
Originally posted by cjm_2008 cjm_2008 wrote:

I've put mine at the only logical place I could see - at the join next to the filler cap:

the back of the pipe runs to the exhaust manifold next to the block and bulkead - the join to the exhaust manifold looks totally different (has three mounting screws for a start).

That's the right place - just below the filler cap.
When blanked off there, nothing can flow through that pipe.
Exhaust gases will only run out the exhaust manifold into the turbo housing.
No more black sooty shite to contaminate your intake manifold.Thumbs Up

2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 11:34
Sorry if I'm being thick, but I can't find the egr blanking plate on the Brickwerks website - can anyone provide a link, or is it a call-up-and-order part?

Cheers
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 11:52
The only way I could find it was to search for 'egr' on the brickwerks site. HTH
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 12:14
Embarrassed

Didn't think of that (although to be fair I didn't spot the "search" box on their site!). Thanks Ruds, now found and will probably order tonight.
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 12:21
Mine arrives tomorrow hopefully!
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 19:24
OK mine doesn't appear as straight forward, or I'm being thick...

Which side of the silver pipe do I put the blanking plate, both have two bolts, but one is much harder to access!

Any help would be appreciated Thumbs Up
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
cjm_2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 21:27

OK mine doesn't appear as straight forward, or I'm being thick...

Which side of the silver pipe do I put the blanking plate, both have two bolts, but one is much harder to access!

Any help would be appreciated Thumbs Up

here I reckon. but wait until a more learned brick-yarder confirms!

unless you have an allen key that's a perfect fit, i'd recommend splashing out 20 or so quid on a set of star bits.

Edited by cjm_2008 - 13 May 10 at 21:28
Ruds View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 10 at 22:18
Thank you for the reply, I had wondered if one end was hotter than the other but I can't work out if there would be any difference, it's only a short pipe!

Star bits are ready to go!
2006 130 SWB Kombi van
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 10 at 10:17
Dumb question time. Would an egr blanking plate be appropriate for my lowly 85ps, or are they only for the 2.5 engine?
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>