The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

eber problems diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eber problems diagnosis
    Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 12:56
I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers on my eber BL2... (assuming thats the petrol one) fitted to an 84/85 joker.

Basically its not heating up, the fan comes on when you switch the switch to the red position and twiddle the thermostat but no heat comes out - there's no noise coming from the pump either which I know it should - it did the day I bought the van but hasnt since!

I was hoping it was maybe just the pump, as that looks easily accessible, so i unplugged the pump and stuck a multimeter into the ends of the wires to see if any voltage was getting to it - nothing... just a minor blip when the thermostat goes on and off. So I assume its not the pump.

What should i check next? Is there anything I can do without taking the whole thing apart/removing from the van as this worries me slightly! Has anyone else had a similar problem - ie the fan still comes on but the heating/pump element doesnt?

thanks
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 14:49
Battery voltage first? Does it fire up with the engine running or the hopok-up cable attached and the charger on?
Sunny Lancs
johnboy123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 15:21
sorry, forgot to say - tried with engine running and on hook-up.

I assumed (though could be incorrectly!) that the fan wouldnt come on if it wasnt getting enough voltage.

wayner View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 21:43
Ive got a similar problem. just changed the battery for a new leisure battery but no different? I have had heat twice as far as i can remember. when i switch on, the fan cuts in but cold air comes out then after a while the fan stops.Cry
westyguesty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westyguesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 22:00
Still sounds like not enough volts at the eber. You really need to get a voltmeter in ther and see what it's doing when you start it up. If that all looks OK, check for fuel pumping, if that's working time to take it appart :)
si macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote si macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 22:03
^^ I agree.

Sounds similar to what was happening to me, i did get a new battery et voila!
wayner View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 23:22
I eventually got mine to blow some warm air out after about 10 mins. but the fumes and smoke coming out of the exhaust were abit scary so i turned it off! is there any risk of fire from these?
si macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote si macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 12:44
I remember that with mine, a reasonable amount of smoke. I've never used mine properly to heat up the van (only recently got the battery) though. I'd just make sure you get yourself a carbon monoxide detector.
westyguesty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westyguesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 13:06
Lots of smoke could be the glow plug not getting hot enough to ignite properly, so dumping unburnt fuel out of the exhaust. That's probably why it's shutting down after a few mins as it's not getting warm enough to turn the glow plug off.
plinsky View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 15:54
Another stupid question is the eber control 12v or 24v?
badger View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 16:03
12v fitted to westy vans, but there are some 24v units out there, normally found fitted to commercial vehicles.
1989 Westy California 1.9 AAZ
plinsky View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 16:47
would that work on the westy? o no?
 Post Reply Post Reply