FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6CS to AEF Engine Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
boatbuilder View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 18:00
Lots of wiring questions at the minute!

The AEF alternator has three connections - not sure where to connect them all up:

B+    main heavy wire to + battery terminal
D+    blue wire to the dash charging led
W     not sure what this is for? - never mind, I've figured it out, its for a Rev counter if you have one.

Edited by boatbuilder - 08 Feb 17 at 09:35
Antzg View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antzg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 11:30
What a fantastic guide! this has saved me so much time so many thanks for your hard work! I bought my van with the engine already removed so have a little dilemma. I just wondered if any of you lovely people could tell be which colour wires go to where? currently I have the following:

Black - ignition live for fuel stop solenoid
Blue/white - to heater plug temp switch
blue/black - to oil pressure switch on the head???
red - glow plug

I currently have the remaining:

black
yellow
yellow/red

Thanks you in advance :)
colinthefox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 09:39
Engine oil is perfectly OK. Once you've removed the vanes it's just an idler wheel.
It's up to you how you blank off the ports, but I like to have a mechanical retention in addition to adhesive in case of failure.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

All sorts of other oil burners too.

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 00:34
Thanks for that. Getting there slowly. Just removed the vanes from the power steering pump today...don't have any power steering fluid handy and would rather not have to buy a bottle to fill up the tiny pump. Do you think I could use any other kind of oil in there instead? I'm planning to plug the bottom outlet of the pump with jb weld and a coin and just plug the middle of the top outlet so it can still be unscrewed if needed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 21:40
Originally posted by boatbuilder boatbuilder wrote:

Does it cause any issues having the delay off switch operating even on an already hot engine?

Good question. No. It just advances the injection a bit, making it sound a bit more dieselly.

Best of luck with the conversion.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 00:13
Thanks for the brilliant guide. I'm working through it at the moment so I may have some questions!
Does it cause any issues having the delay off switch operating even on an already hot engine?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 16 at 20:56
Sorry, once again I don't hve much clue as to what might be wrong, except to look at the fitting of the timing belt and in particular the tensioner. Is the belt running true?
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

fdb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 16 at 14:06
Hi looking for some help please. Fitted a aef engine from a skoda fabia 1.9.
Got her running but if I over rev she cuts out and the timings are then out so won't restart without putting the timings right, anyone got any help to offer please.
Thanks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 16 at 15:33
Chris.

Once the diesel system has been filled and the engine running, the air bleed screw does nothing.

The high idle device has very little effect on anything really. Just as it's name suggests, it varies the idle speed a bit, but shouldn't lead to stalling either way.

I don't really have any idea about your stalling problem, except to check that you don't have an air leak on the suction side of the pump, and that the idle screw hasn't been interfered with.

Good luck

Colin
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

whizwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 16 at 10:16
Hi Colin, some time ago you posted an excellent article about exchanging a 1.6 to the 1.9D AEF engine.
I have done the refit and it's running, but I have a problem.
It idle's ok on tickover , and then when you drive it, it accelerates ok, then went you take your foot
off the gas, it stalls.

your article talks about the high idle vacuum activator, and the air bleed screw?

Any advice?

Thanks Chris
(whizwest)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 16 at 21:06
Daaf

Glad you got it sorted, and thank you for posting feedback. It really does help others.

We drove over the Picos twice last year, and really enjoyed the trip. Twelve years ago we did that with the CS engine and really struggled!

Colin
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Daaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 16 at 22:44
thank you for the reply.
a little update after some months of daily driving.
The problems with the pressurised cooling system is solved with a new pressure cap.
The engine is getting considerable warmer than the CS engine but I didn't have a boiling engine yet. I live in Spain though in a mountain area so I am always keeping an eye on the temperature gauge.
The bearings of the powersteering pump broke because lack of oil. I bought an other one that I could open and now I keep an eye on the level in the pump every 1000km.

I have a friend with a broken JX engine and I told her that the cheapest fix will be to replace it with an AEF. so maybe I will do a JX to AEF conversion soon.

Almost forgot to tell that I bought an other gearbox and now I am able to drive 110 km/hour and I use 8 liters for 100km.
Hope to read some more folow ups about the AEF.
Thank for the very useful information [:)]
Home is where you park
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 16 at 22:06
Sorry, missed your post. I didn't get an email notification.

Yes it does sound like the timing is not right. Apart from recommending the usual checks I can't help you with that.

The pressurisation of the cooling system doesn't look good though. Could be cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket I suppose. You could get the coolant tested at a garage.

The commencement of injection solenoid should work as I described. Your problems could be due to the timing or connected to the cooling system problems.

To be honest I would suspect that your engine is bad, but can't be sure based on what you have said.

1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Daaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 15:15
Hello Everybody,

I swapped my 1.6D to an AEF and I am still in the process of fine tuning.
I bought an engine at a scrapyard in Spain, it looked very clean and it had made in Mexico written on it. Never saw that before...

I found it very difficult to drill the hole for the dipstick, I mean to get the right angle.
Ended up hitting the engine mount hole as well...
When I had the dipstick in it blew out a lot of oil when the engine was running.
Had to take of the dipstick tube that was under the oil level and solved that.

I made a switch on the dashboard for the "commencement of injection" solenoid of the dieselpump.
I found out that I can only put the switch in the off position after the engine is completely warmed up. If I do it earlier the engine sputters at low refs and gives some white smoke.
I am thinking that maybe the timing of the diesel pump is a bit off.
I put the timing belt on with the CS flywheel and T3 gearbox TDC mark. I hope that is the right way.
I am a bit disappointed in the fuel consumption it is almost 10 liters for 100 km.
My 4 speed gearbox is also not helping for a good consumption.

I also couldn't open the pump for the steering assistance, it was a model that couldn't be opened so i took the internal parts out and closed it with some oil inside.

Lately I had a lot of coolant leaks, there is a lot of pressure on the hoses.
I ordered a new expansion tank cover to  see if that helps.

Also notice a contact sound when i  drive backwards, I think it is the exhaust pipe hitting something.

Well, it was a nice project and I am thinking of buying a space AEF in case of trouble.
Maybe not a "made in mexico" this time.

Is there somebody who also have the same experience with the "commencement of injection" solenoid switch timing?

Keep up the good work :)

Home is where you park
melront View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 16 at 09:42
Actually engine is from VW Polo, but it should be the same.
But the main problem is lack of experience in my case :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 16 at 20:51
You should have plenty of Skoda Felicias to choose from where you are!

Edited by colinthefox - 18 Feb 16 at 20:52
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

melront View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 16 at 16:00
This will be my plan for spring :) I've just bought new (old) engine. Thank you very much for this how to :)
My 1.6D was really slow in hills (moving up :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 16 at 21:19
Hi Daaf

Thanks for your kind comments.

You can use the thermostat that came with the AEF. It has a sort of bridge arrangement, and the centre of it holds the pin for the mechanism. The two supports for this bridge should ideally be top and bottom so the coolant has minimum resistance to flowing horizontally. Is that what's confusing you? I don't think it's all that important really.

As for the power steering pump, mine could be different because it came off a Skoda of some description. Anyway, I can't really remember the details of stripping it down, as it was a few years ago. Sorry I can't help.

Best of luck with your new engine.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Daaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 16 at 19:15
Thank you very much for inspiring me to buy an AEF engine for my T3.
Very clear post.

I am in the middle of the conversion and have some questions:

How do you open the pump for the power steering?
I managed to take the iron wire half ring of the back and now I am stuck and can´t open it any further.
Anybofy has some more information?

Since English is not my first language I don´t understand the part about the thermostat.
Do I need to buy a new one, or change the orientation?

I am almost done and am very exited to try the engine.

Thank you for reading. 
Home is where you park
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 15 at 18:46
Hi ThePete

I have no idea whether mine was a Lucas LS4000 or not (1998). I suspect yours is an earlier version if it doesn't have the immobiliser and is 1996. Or it could have a different pump for your country's market. There may be no car theives in Finland!

I don't think it mattters which fuel pump your AEF has fitted, as long as it is original to the engine, and has a throttle cable. If the pump is different you will have to figure out the various electrical connections for yourself! It would be a good idea to check the height, just in case it's higher, and would foul the engine lid.

Could you post some pictures of your pump so I could have a look?
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>