Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sportscraft or Fasp swivel base

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 16:05
Originally posted by marksabs marksabs wrote:

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/ do them. I bought them via ebay shop as I thought I might get a bit more protection if they turned out to be rubbish.

oh tidy
just down the road Clap
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

TheFerret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 16:34
Alright chaps, I should have commented sooner on this thread sorry..

I spent an age looking for the best swivel and ended up purchasing the RIB driver and passenger plates from kiravans.

Fitting was a bit of a pain for the drivers but got there in the end.
Red lever is door side on both drivers and passengers seats.

Only issues i have had are if the seat is not jacked up a little bit the plate still hits the handbrake cover ever so slightly (when its down of course) so now I have 2 or 3 scrape marks on my handbrake cover.

The swivel also managed to mark my back seat base trim ever so slightly when rotating for the first few times.

The seats do rock slightly when not being sat in, so sometimes when driving the passengers seat nod's and rattles slightly when no-one sat in it. A piece of wood to jam the swivel when not being used is the plan for this as mentioned on the forum somewhere.

But by far the RIB bases have the best 'swivel' as such, not just a bolt as per some of the others.
Im contemplating purchasing the handbrake lowering kit as I just forked out £20.00 for a new handbrake cover but need to trim the bottom of this new cover before i fit, otherwise I will have marks again. (only 5k on the clock and want to keep it tidy!)

Oh - im 6.2" and i used the spacer, seems a bit high but got used to it pretty quick, the handbrake lowering kit will resolve this though!

kendall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 10 at 19:06
great thread. i'll be getting the rib ones and handbrake lowering kit. just got to find the right van now Tongue
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 07:51
Thanks ferret. Looks like I put mine on the wrong way round Clap Clap
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 15:50
I fitted mine today. it does rock more than a Reimo but is built stronger and load easier to fit, Didn't need to alter the seat rear trim either

To stop it rocking. I sat in the seat leant back and put two small plastic door stops under the front the put two more under the rear in between the plates. now it's rock solidSmile

Edited by Mr Hedgehog - 11 May 10 at 15:52
Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
JoeFaith View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeFaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 16:06
The RIB with the space bar raises it about 2 inches.
The RIB without the spacer bar raises it about 1 inch -- but then you need to lower the handbrake AND trim the seat trim to get it round

At the moment the red lever on the driver side RIB swivel is next to the handbrake; but I can't seem to get the seat all the way round. Have I put it on back to front?

marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 16:14
Ferret seems to be getting on fine with his seats and his red levers are the other way round so I think ours might be the wrong way.

I'll try to find half an hour to change mine over later and report back
mildu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mildu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 16:14
Originally posted by JoeFaith JoeFaith wrote:

At the moment the red lever on the driver side RIB swivel is next to the handbrake; but I can't seem to get the seat all the way round. Have I put it on back to front?

Originally posted by TheFerret TheFerret wrote:

Red lever is door side on both drivers and passengers seats.

Looks like itLOL
'57 130 T30
TheFerret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 17:38

Yes my red levers are both door facing, the seats swivel inwards, no need to open doors to swivel (im sure I read somewhere here that a member was doing that?) Have got them swiveling quite easy once the seat backs are adjusted forwards.

Thanks joefaith on the tip about removing the spacer bar - didnt realise I would have to 'trim the trim' aswell as fit the handbrake lowering kit.

Will try the doorstops too instead of wedges Smile

mildu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mildu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 19:01
Reading all these posts about the "rocking" swivel seats and having to use pieces of wood or wedges is slightly alarming.

Is this a design fault....it can't be normal...surely?

'57 130 T30
JoeFaith View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeFaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 19:06
its not so much rocking as not completely rigid. I think its inevitable having such a large rotated mass, rather than a design fault. They seem perfectly safe
Smithy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 10 at 19:42
Hi all

This is a topic I'm very interested in and it seems the RIB is the way to go....... I have heated seats and a passenger air bag - is it as simple as disconnecting a male/female connector, poking the wires through the hole in the swivel and re-connecting?  Are there any resulting problems with the airbag and/or its warning light? 

Thanks.....

QuickLIME
130bhp SWB Panel
Ronal R47 Wheels - Lowered - Debadged - Perfect!
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 08:33
I checked mine last night and the driver swivel definitely should go red lever next to handbrake (not doorside). Firstly there is a big sticker on it saying the direction. The sticker also says it's a drivers side swivel and it has a GB at the end of the part number so no ambiguity there. More importantly there's no way you could mount it the other way around with the supplied bolts.

For people that have both drivers and passengers fitted it might be possible swap the swivels (obviously keeping the spacer on the drivers side). Maybe the installers fount that works better. I think the RIBs are made in france so as is often the case the UK RHD version might be more of an afterthought than the LHD (found this with aspects of my reimo 333 seat).

I also checked where the play was coming from and it was from the connection between the rotator joint and the top plate. Looks like they've just designed it with a mill or two of play. Can't think of a way to stop rocking other than the mentiond door stop approach

marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 08:36
Originally posted by Smithy Smithy wrote:

Hi all

This is a topic I'm very interested in and it seems the RIB is the way to go....... I have heated seats and a passenger air bag - is it as simple as disconnecting a male/female connector, poking the wires through the hole in the swivel and re-connecting?  Are there any resulting problems with the airbag and/or its warning light? 

Thanks.....

sorry, can't say for sure as my seats are 'no frills' and don't have any cables going into them. I can't see any reason why you couldn't run the cables through the hole though - it's certainly big enough.

Edited by marksabs - 12 May 10 at 08:38
TheFerret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 09:24
Had no directional stickers on my swivel plates, I will contact kiravans to see which way they mount them on conversions, the bolts supplied fitted with the lever door side Confused

Airbag cables and heated seat cables fit fine through the centre gap in the swivel plates.
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 09:35
very strange. mine are a couple of months old. maybe they've changed the design?

I've actually been in contact with kiravans myself but this morning I emailed them again to say I'd sorted out the problem. Might ring them later
JoeFaith View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeFaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 09:38
Hey Mark
does the handle point up or down? 
Mine are pointing down, but with the handle on the handbrake side the seat won't go through a full 180degrees. it stops at about 135.

How are yours?

TheFerret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFerret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 09:50
Mine are pointing up on both sides, and also just checked for stickers again.
I do have some with a code and GB written on. On both plates the sticker is on the topside/back of the plate. Ie looking at the back of the seats from the load area.

Seems everyone has fitted there's different! You would think they would include some simple instructions!
JoeFaith View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeFaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 11:33
So it looks like we've got two choices:
handle on the door side pointing down
or handle on the handbrake side pointing up

I guess the latter also means that the handle is near the back of the seat rather than the front.
Did the bolts fit OK this way? Were the chamfers in the right place?
kiravans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiravans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 10 at 11:51
Hope the attached link helps.  You'll find a bunch of photos of the stages to install a RIB swivel to the drivers side of a T5 plus an installation guide. It's just a first draft based on installing a swivel yesterday so probably some spelling mistakes & room for some improvement to the photo quality but hopefully it'll help. 

Any suggestions to improve it would be much appreciated, as would your experience of fitting the swivel in some other manner. Please feel free to drop me a PM.

Best wishes,
Rob
Kiravans
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>