The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MkIII Golf 2 litre in T3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 09:12
Take a look at IG16 (use google translate unless your technical german is really good) in the "technology of the T3" section and search for the big 2E engine conversion thread. One of the postees put up some p/t curves for diesel vs. petrol.
Have I missed anything?
gusbang View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gusbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 21:47
Originally posted by silverbullet silverbullet wrote:

Take a look at IG16 (use google translate unless your technical german is really good) in the "technology of the T3" section and search for the big 2E engine conversion thread. One of the postees put up some p/t curves for diesel vs. petrol.

T3 Doka 2.1MV
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 08:54
That's the one - page 6 has the p/t graphs.
Have I missed anything?
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 11:57
Okay, as the price of GTIs is stupid I looked at Passats and the like.
Christ they have some kilometers on them so they must be a good motor.

I've got my eye on a 95 Golf automatic for 600 yoyos.
Am right in thinking that the automatic side has no impact?
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 12:19
That's why I want to use the ADY from our Sharan - 59k on a T plate! More work but less mileage.
Autos might have a different ecu or software...don't know if there are feeds from the autobox to the ecu either.
Have I missed anything?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 12:40

on a T plate!
- What year is  a T plate? My last T plated bike was a 1979er.

Autos might have a different ecu or software...don't know if there are feeds from the autobox to the ecu either.

Hmmh good point.
Might stay away from that one then.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 13:34
T plate is Feb '99. First of the mid-year reg nonsense...
Have I missed anything?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 13:42
GTi's  - even crash damaged ones still fetch stupid money..  I bought 2 B3 passats for less than £300 in total.

one had full service history and the other had 6 months MOT!
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 10 at 17:45
Originally posted by Titus A Duxass Titus A Duxass wrote:

on a T plate!
- What year is  a T plate? My last T plated bike was a 1979er.

Hmmh good point.
Might stay away from that one then.

mine was out of an auto - ok now after my little alternator troubles! no feeds from auto box on mine just extra pipes for cooling
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 10 at 06:04
Rowlesy, cheers for that snippet.
Fortunately I have two years to do this conversion.
I got an exception certificate from the city yesterday so I can now drive & park in the city.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 18:18
One little bit more information.

I have been getting a metallic knocking noise on occasion which seemed to be mainly when under drive conditions in low gears.

had considered that the engine mounts might be a bit soft and allowing the engine to rotate under torque reaction, causing the left hand exhaust/silencer carrier bracket to hit the crossbar at the back of the syncro sump guard. I had found marks there to suggest that this was what was happening.

However, even after a couple of adjustments to provide more clearance, the noise was still there.

I then managed to persuade a mate to ride in the back with the engine cover off and watch what went on. It turns out that there is rather more movement as a result of torque at the axle (ie the engine rotates down at the back) than there is as a result of torque at the clutch (ie causing the engine to rotate to the left - opposite to crankshaft direction).

I then found a very small mark under the right hand exhuast bracket where it, too, had been hitting the sump guard. A small movement of this bracket has greatly increased clearance resulting in - peace at last!

It just goes to show how misleading some lines of approach can be and just how much movement may be going on when you can't see the engine!

Garyd
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 11 at 18:01
Quote It turns out that there is rather more movement as a result of torque at the axle (ie the engine rotates down at the back) than there is as a result of torque at the clutch (ie causing the engine to rotate to the left - opposite to crankshaft direction).

I imagine this is because torque multiplication through the gearbox manifests at the driveshafts. In reverse then, front of gearbox pulls mounts downwards.
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 11 at 18:38
Im going to attempt this conversion tomorrow. I think i have ticked everything off the shopping list but i have one question! and probably plenty more to ask. 

Can i use the starter motor that was used with the 2.1dj i had in the van before i removed it?

thanks

Jon
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 11 at 18:55
the usual way of doing it is to use diesel bellhousing and flywheel and starter, engine  bars and sump

HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 11 at 00:15
Quote The usual way of doing it is to use diesel bellhousing and flywheel and starter, engine  bars and sump

= means using the diesel starter motor.

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 11 at 01:04
yeah sorry Wink
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 11 at 12:43
yeah i have the sump bars bell housing ext, just no starter, can you not use the 2.1 starter then?

Thanks

Jon

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 11 at 14:33
Hi Jon,

Ive ammassed my pile already for mine, so far ..............

Engine bars/alloy engine mounts and rubber blocks
Sump
Diesel bell housing/input shaft
'Shit plate' from behind flywheel
JX flywheel/clutch
ALL JX rubber water pipes + flanges to block (think you might be able to use Gti ones though)+ header tank
JX oil filler tube that bolts to sump
JX dipstick
Starter (has to be diesel one)
JX exhaust mounts on sump, New JX exhaust from GSF (straight thr type with no baffles) and pipe from exhaust to turbo

Have emailed T3 2E to order one of their downpipe/flange adaptors (€107)

Garyd and Hutch have been fantastic with help/advice.

Have got a spare shit plate and dipstick/dipstick tube if you need em.

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 11 at 23:33
Alright Elvis, ill have that dip stick and shit plate pm me what you want and ill send it over. 

I found out today that starter motor off the DJ doesn't fit haha.. Also found that my gearbox has no code on it, just a long number starting 091.

I went to cut 15mm off the input shaft but thought ill do a measure before cutting and it seems it will fit with out any cutting, so i am baffled now lol and the passenger side engine bar doesnt seem to line up to anything has anyone got a photo of where it bolts to the chassis leg ? drivers side fits but passengers seems wrong, 

Here is my problem,  

Thanks
Jon
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 11 at 15:34
You're missing a plate that bolts on and links the two together
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>