The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MkIII Golf 2 litre in T3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 10 at 09:31
I am

Pot - Kettle!
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 10 at 18:04
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

How come no one has used the T3 injection fuel filter and pump neatly underneath in the right location?
dj pump only runs at 2.0bar i was told? think i may of been trawling haynes manuals or got it off here?? 2e motor needs a minimum of 3.0bar to run propper like!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 10 at 18:09
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

I am

Pot - Kettle!

Tongue
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 10 at 20:48
T3 pump is REGULATED to 2 bar, thats not it's max pressure.
Under acceleration the fuel pressure on a T3 rises to 2.5bar.
The pump we sell, the Pierburg 7.21287.53.0 flows 100l per minure at 3 bar.

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 10 at 20:49
I should rephrase that, the system pressure is regulated to 2.0/2.5 bar by the fuel pressure regulator.
HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 01:10
Gary

Good to see you're back up and running at last. Yes those TDs are dilrty filthy noisy things, but do lug up 45 degree rock climbs rather nicely on a whiff of gas :)

Presume you're keeping a full running history of fuel fills Vs milo readings for long term mpg.

Clive

Edited by HarryMann - 14 Nov 10 at 01:13
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:44

Now the Mrs has been persuaded that T3 life will make her look miles cooler than all the other mums Wink we need to shed a vehicle... Our 1999 Sharan 2.0 has an ADY which I see is a popular choice for syncros at IG16. It's not worth a light now (well about £700 if it wasn't littered with dents and filthy inside) but has yet to reach 60k and we've done 35k of that since 2002!

So it's not going to get another tax disc, the syncro will get to go out daily over the winter and I need to gather up some diesel engine bars and ancillaries. The wiring is the one bit that I'm not looking forward to...

Thankfully it's still got a cable throttle and no transponder keys so that makes life a lot easier for a start.
Have I missed anything?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:55
wiring is pretty easy really..  IF it's a digifant MKII (which I reckon you'd be lucky!)

at 1999 the ecu will be much more complicated..  sell the sharan and look for a B3/B4 passat or vento/jetta with the 2E engine.
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 19:07
It's sequential, Siemens I think. There's a guy at IG16 who's had one running in a 14" syncro for about a year, no problems. I'll have to pm him and see what gives with the wiring.
This engine is good for 30 mpg in a syncro so has got to be worth the effort  with such low mileage. Best torque curve of all the 4-pots, 115 PS and 175 Nm...Might have a problem with the sump as the block design was changed 98/99 but still uses the earlier bellhousing bolt pattern.
Have I missed anything?
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 19:33
Originally posted by silverbullet silverbullet wrote:

Thankfully it's still got a cable throttle and no transponder keys so that makes life a lot easier for a start.
really? i had a 96 ibiza with a transponder and immobilisor box?easiest way to tell is take off steering cowl and look for a black surround with wires around the ignition lock! not saying you dont know like!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 10 at 08:43
Pretty sure on the keys, as the Mrs always has the r/c/l key and I've got the plain one, which has a slim plastic "handle", no numbers etched on it and it always lets me in and drive!
The car does have an alarm (never heard it go off though). Need to investigate further...
Have I missed anything?
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 10 at 18:51
Silverbullet,
just posted a response on the 80-90 thread. My 97? (R reg) Golf engine has a seimens (sory that should have read Simos) ECU and a transponder immobiliser but that is easily dealt with - you just transfer it across to the T3. I even managed to combine the T3 key blade into the Golf fob with the transponder.

pm me with an email address and I'll send you a load of stuff.
Garyd

Edited by Garyd - 17 Nov 10 at 18:38
Garyd
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 10 at 21:13
I have decided to go down the route of a 2litre golf engine. Currently have the 2.1 in and i don't trust it as far as i could throw the thing!

Just a quick question really, how come 8v and not the 16v? is it just down to clearance issues?

Cheers,

Jon 
subwoofer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subwoofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 10 at 22:16
The 16V has a crossflow head, which means that the inlet manifold will come above the rear deck. Also, most think the torque profile of an 8V suits a heavy car better than a 16V screamer.
Joachim

'90 Caravelle C Syncro w/ various mods and Megasquirt3 ECU
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 01:35
certainly does.. LOL
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 08:47
Anyone know if the JX sump will fit the ADY engine? I read somewhere (IG16?) that there was a change to the blocks 98-99, meaning the sump may need re-working even though the bellhousing bolt pattern is still the same.
The Boss's old Sharan is about to become a donor if I can sort out the sump fitment. Diesel bell ready and waiting!
Have I missed anything?
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 09:55
 cheap GSF gasket ?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 11:38
Could be the way. One of each. The oil pickup will have to get "adjusted" and some baffling made from finest quality street tin LOL
Have I missed anything?
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 11:42
 If you wanted a baffle could you not use an AAZ one? they have common stud pattern to JX sump/block.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 10 at 16:41
anyone got the full (vw supplied) power curves for these engines?  I will have a look and compare the tractive efforts to the 1.6Td 1.9Td and the AFN (which I was going to install) 

Reading this thread has kind of started to make me think that this might be a better option than the AFN, and the cost would be significantly cheaper, but I want to have a look at the tractive effort to give me an idea of how drivable it would be with different Gboxs. 

Cheers

John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>