The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MkIII Golf 2 litre in T3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MkIII Golf 2 litre in T3
    Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 19:06
Has anyone fitted a 2 litre AGG engine into a van? Most particularly, has anyone worked out all the wiring connections from the car loom that need to be retained to make the engine run?

Unlike the earlier loom (MkII) all the ignition/injection wiring is built into a single loom with the lights, instrument sensors and everything else.

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can get more info than appears in the Haynes manual?

thanks
Garyd
Garyd
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 10 at 07:03
If you can read or translate German do a search on google.de for VW 2E im T3.
It's quite a popular mod over here.

Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 10 at 21:05
Hi Titus,
I have looked at that site and have been in touch with Olaf.

at the moment I have got some general information and some good ideas for peripherals but I need more specifics about the electronics to be confident about connecting everything.

Garyd
Garyd
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 10 at 07:12
A little more information for you (translation is required).
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Conal McDonough View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conal McDonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 10 at 10:11
You can run it on mk2 digi to simplify things and you wont have a lamda. Should use mk2 cams too considering no cat
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 10 at 20:12
Titus,
thanks for that link - a lot of good stuff there and specifically AGG related. Just what I need.

Conal,
that's intersting to know but I will try to keep the engine management standard at the moment.

Garyd
Garyd
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 10 at 23:48
im going the same route more or less.
my 2.0l lump was from an audi
then im using the injection system from a mk2 gti.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 10 at 00:17
fucking hell.. is it a confessional or something??

OK forgive me father for I have sinned...

on the drive is 2x2E engined passats (B3) 

2.0 litre and as far as I can make out the best and easiest petrol swap I can do.

same lump as in the MK3GTI

going into the new panel project 
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 10 at 01:02
if it was a confessional then i would have to confess to being hooked on buying wheels..
but thats another story..

is there anyone here in the uk that running this setup daily/regulay??
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 10 at 01:11
now then will get some pics -  wirk keeps getting in the way
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 10 at 18:18
Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

if it was a confessional then i would have to confess to being hooked on buying wheels..
but thats another story..

is there anyone here in the uk that running this setup daily/regulay??
hopefully will be in the next week or so........................................Wink
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conal McDonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 10 at 20:06
Im currently converting to agg. Ive used the head and block from a 94 seat ibiza gti. Today I sourced the later inlet manifold from an r reg mk3 golf gti. It just clears chassis rail but will hit when engine rocks. Still have to dent the chassis rail but not half as much if i'd used other inlets. Theres an audi manifold that fits well but im yet to see 1. For exhaust mani im using mk3 1.8 spi which has 1 large opening with 4 bolts securing flange/downpipe. Seems to fit allbeit the lamdas  just touching engine mount. Can use the gti twin outlet mani but fabbing to pipes is twice as hard as 1.
If using mk2 digi the main hurdle I can see is converting the mk3 throttle body to accept micro switchs for idle stab and Wot. If you  go with mk3 loom i'd reccomend pre 95 as the immobolizer could confuse things, lots of extra wires and key matched to ecu / ring etc
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 19:25
Conal,
given the mix of bits you are using, does the MkII Digifant system demand the use of a 2E distributor of can you stick with the AGG one?

Garyd
Garyd
michael rodent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael rodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 21:00
You CANNOT use the AGG one for Mk2 Digi.
It has only one cut out in the rotor that passes thru the hall sender.
Mk2 digi has 4.
All to do with the AGG using a crank angle sensor for firing.
m.rodent
subwoofer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subwoofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 06:14
Is the trigger wheel machined into the flywheel on the AGG, or is it somewhere else on the crank? 
Joachim

'90 Caravelle C Syncro w/ various mods and Megasquirt3 ECU
michael rodent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael rodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 10 at 02:15
The trigger is on the crank.
The distributor has one cut out on the vane that passes thru the distributor hall sender.
m.rodent
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conal McDonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 10 at 10:17
Yes am using 2e distributor. agg wont work. Can use the mk2 dizzy with slight modification. tsr use to do the part.

Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 10 at 20:46
I am gradually working out what I need to know about the wiring loom with the help of guys on the Club Gti forum.

It takes a lot of nerve to start cutting bits out but the more I am understanding the circuits and the unwanted parts, the easier it becomes. I must have removed maybe two-thirds of the loom now. It doesn't help that some of the wires are different colopurs to what is shown in the current flow diagrams. never mind, so long as they go to the right place.

I will post up here some details of the circuits when I am confident that I have got it all right.

Thanks for your help here, too.

Garyd
Garyd
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 10 at 06:14
Originally posted by Garyd Garyd wrote:

I will post up here some details of the circuits when I am confident that I have got it all right.
Garyd
I am looking forward to your detailed report as I may be doing the same conversion soon.

What are you doing for an exhaust manifold?
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 10 at 22:26
Titus,
I currently have the Golf manifold fitted and am thinking of welding up a 2 into 1 knuckle to connect to the turbo-diesel system I have. As mine is a syncro, I need to keep the pipe high up to clear the undertray. I am sure that this will be quite noisy but will at least get me mobile. I may then consider getting a system built or at least seek some advice about a box to insert in the front to back section of pipe by the engine mounting. Have you got any other ideas?
Garyd
Garyd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>