The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V-maxx vs H+R Coilovers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V-maxx vs H+R Coilovers
    Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 13:39
Suspension on my van is starting to feel the strain of the 40mm springs and the 20" wheels. Contemplating going down the coilover route. Has anyone tried both? i.e. started with the cheaper V-maxx and gone on to H+R ones? or just driven with both sets? not bothered about the difference in amount that the V-Maxx can lower - I mean 70mm is absolutely fine for me - as stated I am running 40 at the moment and I am quite happy with that although it would look better lower!

Just want to know if you think the £600 option compares to the £1300+ one? It is a ride thing I am looking at as I want the van to be responsive yet more comfortable than what it is now.

FYI, I don't have £1300 to get the H+R set so that is not an option.
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 17:58
The boy at Vanworks have a Caddy on H&R's I think. I've enquired for my forthcoming Caddy, and they said the V-Maxx have adjustable damping as well as ride height. I don't want a harsh ride, just a little lowering to lose some of the air between the arches and the tyres.
Poo IS funny.
MrC02 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrC02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 18:08
Funnily enough that is what I'm doing at the moment.

Currently have a set of the V-Maxx on my van. Been more than happy with them- nice ride and improved looks (IMO!) I went from a standard setup so lots less roll, more responsive and an allround comfier ride.

Have now got the chance to get some H&R coilys fitted for a lot less than £1300. So that is what I'm doing in the next couple of weeks.

Whether they're worth a ticket price of more than double the V-Maxx I couldn't currently tell you. I'd be surprised because I've found the V-Maxx great. Logic says they must be better, but then again.... Smile

T30 AXD Superchipped
Norty Raskel View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 22:27
Can someone explain to me where the extra comfort (if any) comes from with a coil-over set-up.

I appreciate that when lowering springs are fitted the shock absorbers work over a reduced range as their start point is lower, but surely this is the same case with coil-overs as the spring platform is wound down to achieve the same lower stance.

Is the improvement simply because coil-overs allow the use of a full length springs rather than shortened items??

I fitted -40mm springs and 20" rims at the same time and I'm trying to work out which had the biggest impact on the harsh feel of the van now, athough it does handle a lot better now.

Thanks

Norty
07 T32 LWB Kombi
nox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 08:58
I'm quite interested on your thoughts re how much better the H&R are over the vmaxx.  I see they will lower further but I think 75/70 would be plenty.  More interested in the handling side of things.

Nox
IT'S HERE!!!!
cjm_2008 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjm_2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 09:29
Originally posted by Norty Raskel Norty Raskel wrote:

Can someone explain to me where the extra comfort (if any) comes from with a coil-over set-up.

I think it comes down to the internal workings of the damper, and the way those workings are matched to the springs.

lowered springs still have to support the same weight as the original VW springs. they do this by increasing the spring rate (resistance force / length). increasing the spring rate means a stiffer spring; the standard shocks were only designed to work with the original springs, so damping is inadequate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_%28vehicle%29#Mathematics_of_the_spring_rate

I'm guessing (hoping!) that the H&R shocks I've just paid for are matched to the springs. at the moment I'm on the H&R 40mm springs - cosmetically the van looks great, but with a half full tank of fuel, I can feel the van pitching back and forth when I come to a complete stop LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply