The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to fill LPG/ which adaptor if any??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to fill LPG/ which adaptor if any??
    Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 10:24
Okay so we finally may need to top up the LPG tank for thr first time since buying the van last OctoberTongue

1986 club joker

Firstly I've noticed 2 areas, one on the main "panel" where there's a red bung over a female threaded brass connector, the other is off to the right and has a screw on cap with a piece of locking wire through it.

So which one is the filler?Is it the bunged up one as I'm imagining?
 and do the filling sites in France have different mounts to UK ones?
Would rather buy a UK one and just fill before a trip abroad anyway.
Rogerthecat did briefly show me what was what but I forgot it all sorry Embarrassed

JonnyAtlantic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 12:17

Filling point either on end of tank for earlier models or right hand side of control panel for later ones.
From your description, sounds like yours on RHS of control panel.
Full details in Joker Manual:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/westy-owners-manual_topic40840.html

For adapters see

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/westy-gas-tank-filler-adapters_topic40844.html 

France different from UK
For UK, I have UK bayonet one that screws on the outer thread, rather than double up on two bayonet screwing on inside.  Mines OK and has never leaked when filling but others have had issues with this type I believe.  I bought mine from gas-sure.  When in France prior to getting my own euro adapter, I found some fuel stations that sell GPL may have an adapter that you can borrow but not all.

If your traveling on Euro tunnel you can only have tank 85% full, so check your carriers rules before you go.  Euro Tunnel staff check your gauge and ensure its turned off before they let you on train.

Remember to turn gas to van off at control panel before filling, otherwise you can blow fittings in the van.

1990 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6TD - Pop Top
robthedon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robthedon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 20:12
We have an 86 club joker. It will be on the right hand end of the LPG tank n yours if it's lie ours. You need 2 x bayonet adaptors because one doesn't stick out far enough to get the LPG attachemnht in the filling sttaion on.

Gasure sell them for about £15 each I believe.
Rob Don

Managing Director, London Campers

T: 07985 991349

E: rob@londoncampers.co.uk

W: www.londoncampers.co.uk
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 20:15
John , pop round and I show you 
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 20:43
When you come to fill it, take someone with you to watch the gauge and make sure you don`t fill it past 80% on the tank gauge. It SHOULD stop itself automatically at 80% due to an internal device, but they don`t always work. Mine didn`t Cry  Now trying to burn off a load of gas (fridge been on for days) before going to Europe on the Eurotunnel. They have a policy of checking your gauge to make sure you`re not over 80% full.
Sunny Lancs
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 21:11
I thought they didnt allow LPG on the Eurotunnel fullstop?

edit.... its only if it used to power the vehicle. Probably cos of the stench from the exhaust making everyone on the train vomit

Edited by Tee3 - 13 Apr 10 at 21:12

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 23:23
Correct, it`s in the small print somewhere. No LPG tank for vehicle power, heating / cooking gas tank OK, must be shown to be turned off at the tank and the gauge not showing more than 80% (safety margin for gas expansion)
Sunny Lancs
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 09:27
Originally posted by t'onion t'onion wrote:

John , pop round and I show you 

Thumbs Up

grm2507 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grm2507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 16:09
Info relating to LPG on Eurotunnel....

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/ukcTravel/ukpLPG

It explains all of the different rules about mixed fixed/mobile bottle gas etc.

Not sure what will happen if your gauge isn't working - just as long as you have one and it doesn't show more than 80%!
1987 Vanagon GL DJ 2.1 - Dove Blue Metallic
1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD - Alpine White

1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD (Pop-top) - Alpine White
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 20:30
It`s not really a good idea to have more than 80% full anyway, that`s the reason for the safety cut-out device in the tank, just that they don`t always work Cry  Mine`s now down to 90%, had the fridge cranked up on gas for 4 days  Cool  Frosty Cool
Sunny Lancs
Jeavsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeavsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 21:12
Finally needed to refill ours on our recent trip.  Didn't have the Germany adaptor, so waited until we got to France.  Quite nervous about it as I'd not used an LPG filler before.  Got it all connected up and then couldn't work out how to make it fill.  Went to ask for help in best pidgin French and a very nice lady came out and pressed the very big, very obvious green button!  Doh!  She asked if I wanted it full and then was surprised when it only took 12L.  When I told her that it was just the domestic gas tank, she looked a bit panicked and said that she would pretend she hadn't seen me!  Slight overreaction methinks.  And she didn't pretend so hard that I didn't have to pay Cry.  Still, €10 for a full tank of gas aint that bad.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 10 at 22:04
It`s two of these you use in the UK, one screws into the other to make the thing long enough to access from the side at a UK pump

Couple them together and then screw into the threaded hole in the centre of the German filler already on the tank (big ACME threaded boss, should have a screw cap on it)
Sunny Lancs
Valentine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 10 at 20:28
Used the Eurotunnel at Easter...

they just checked that the gas was turned off.

and didnt check how much gas was in the tank
Chops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 21:46
Useful information here - thinking of using the eurotunnel at some point this year.

The gasure adaptors arrived this week - but......

I can't for the life of me unscrew the screw on cap covering the filling point.  Probably because it hasn't been filled for ages.  Anyway - word to the wise, check it unscrews.  I've sprayed a load of WD around it, hopefully it'll work its greasy stinky magic overnight.
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 22:32
got the double adaptors now.
The GFs off to France tomorrow, we've never filled the tank beofre and will have to do it at the local BP tomorrow afternoon.

Whats the drill? Is it just a case of screwing it up to the pump "nozzle" and pressing the button??
Sorry T'onion not had time to take you up on your tutorial in the end.Smile

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 08:40
Get someone to watch the tank gauge as you fill, and stop if it looks like it`s going over the 80% mark, it should cut out itself but sometimes they overfill.
Sunny Lancs
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 11:51
Thumbs Up

Chops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 19:24
Achievement.  Got the cap off.  Solution?  Hit it with a rock, then it unscrews. (Gently, mind)  Scary filling up with gas tomorrow.
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 19:36
Okay went to the garage.
Gauge was at 5%, 5 litres later its at 70%. Whats the tank hold, 15/20 litres? (My GCSE maths is shit.)
It all went ok, bit smelly though!!

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 22:25
Tank holds 18 litres when 80% full (max)
Sunny Lancs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>