The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Fan Belt Noise.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Fan Belt Noise.
    Posted: 11 Apr 10 at 14:23
Hi

I have noticed that my 2.5 174 has started making a noise like a slipping fan belt between 1400 and 2000 rpm when under load. It started to make the noise a few weeks ago and is getting worse, I dont notice it in 5th and 6th gear but it may be there.

Before anyone says it I know they dont have any belts but that is what it sound like. I am worried it might be the dmf giving up, do they make any noises first? If not do you have any other scarry stories to worry me? Could it be a turbo hose ?

Cheers Simon
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 10 at 16:50
I've read of whistling noises from turbos, leaking boost from intake hose connections and even exhausts, but I can't recall anyone saying it sounded like a slipping fan belt.

Maybe a gates coupling or freewheel on the a/c compressor or alternator ?  Then there's the old favourite of the water pump (why DO VWs have such failure-prone water pumps - seems like nearly all models of VWs have unreliable waterpumps, and early build 2.5l T5s are possibly worse than an already bad average).

When was your van built and how many miles has it done ?
simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 10 at 16:52
Late 2003 50K
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 10 at 17:11
Is it a really high pitched squeak?

The other day I heard two different transporters make a very bizarre high pitched noise when accelerating off from a junction. Same noise. Both the 2.5 and one was a 130 (automatic) and the other was a manual (dont know about the other for sure).

The noise only seemed to last between a certain rev range, so it could be 'normal'?!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 10 at 09:51
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

Late 2003 50K

If it still has the original water pump I'd consider putting a new one in BEFORE the seals go and leak a lot of coolant into your engine oil.  Your engine is likely to have the "soft" cams and followers, so really needs only good quality oil at all times (water and coolant are definitely not up to the task).

Edited by gregozedobe - 12 Apr 10 at 09:53
simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 10 at 16:45
I think the stealer changed the water pump before we picked it up so it should have the updated one. I only use 506.01 and make sure I see the cans it comes out of at service time ! The garage must think I am mad !
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 10:17
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

...... The garage must think I am mad !

But your T5's engine will love you for it :)
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 10 at 11:40
A quick chek on the dual mass clutch is stop nose down on a gradient and put it in reverse and ease up the clutch, judder means an empty wallet.

I had a noise that came and went not in 4,5,6  but lower. Drive the van, warm it up, stop sit 2 minutes and re start, if the whine occurs it was an auxilary pump problem.

I tortured the local stealers service as I was one week to go to end of warranty, I got  a dual mass, egr valve still no change. In the end I had to take the service manager out do the routine and he finally heard it. I think they tought it was in my head.

Post Reply Post Reply