The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genuine T5 Side Bars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genuine T5 Side Bars?
    Posted: 08 Apr 10 at 23:23
What size are the bolts used to fit genuine VW side bars to a T5?

There's quite a few on here with side bars fitted so someone must know?

Edited by Steve B - 08 Apr 10 at 23:27
MrC02 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrC02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 10:04
Not sure about the genuine VW bar fittings but the bolts for my Winbo sidebars are 40mm x 8mm. I'd imagine they fit in the same way?

T30 AXD Superchipped
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 10:20

If you have to remove the plastics underneath and fit the bars with 2 bolts at each end then yes they are the same?

At least then i've got an idea of what bolts to get seeing as the two Van Centres i phoned earlier in the week were absolutely useless!
One(Gilder Van Centre,Sheffield) hasn't even had the decency to phone me back since Tuesday and the other(VW Van Centre West Yorkshire) wouldn't tell me the bolt size as that would mean opening a box with the side bars and fittings in...WTF!!

Cheers.

Edited by Steve B - 09 Apr 10 at 10:22
MrC02 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrC02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 11:19
Yep that sounds about right on both counts...

You need to remove plastics underneath and VW Parts depts are useless cnuts, without generalising or anything Smile

T30 AXD Superchipped
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 11:26
Originally posted by MrC02 MrC02 wrote:

VW Parts depts are useless cnuts, without generalising or anything Smile

Some are.
I decided to try the Scunthorpe Van Centre and even though the parts guy couldn't find a part number for the bolts themselves as it appears they come part of a kit,he opened a box to check the fixings and is posting me a copy of the fitting instructions.

Clap
MrC02 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrC02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 12:13
Fair play, praise where due! Its just all the rest that are useless LOL 

T30 AXD Superchipped
marcus_asparagus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus_asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 20:53
Steve,

No need to wait for post man....here is a link to some fitting instructions I used when I bought some copies of genuine sidebars.

They are really nice and fit well, I'm well happy with them.
Hope this helps.

Regards Mark.
Wifes 2003 Raven Blue Caravelle 174 AXE, Pimped to the Max!

Mint 1987 Autohomes Kamper Tooled right up!
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 21:03
Cheers Mark much appreciated.Thumbs Up
MLS View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 22:49
Hi Mark,

Could you let me know which ones you bought.  I'm thinking of getting some and see that some of the ebay ones get mixed reviews on the forum (dodgy welds etc.) - anyone else got any recommendations for non VW ones?  Thanks Martin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus_asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 23:10
Martin,

I bought some from ebay and was also concerned about quality..... their bars are now much better, I did email them asking about the quality issues and was happy with the response so bought some.

They are very nice and very well made, also spoke to VW dealer who said their bars are now chrome plated...........didn't fancy that so went with these stainless jobbies. Cheaper too!

Hope this helps.
Mark.

blazin-saddles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazin-saddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 10 at 07:37
I got the Steelworks ones too via ebay. Excellent quality look exactly the same as the Genuine ones and come with very good instructions for fitting. would def buy again. especially as the VW ones are £411 list and the steelworks are £195 posted.
surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 10 at 10:42
I did a quick search on here about the steelworks bars and there's a few comments about sill damage and dodgy welds on the brackets. I take that the company making them has sorted this out now? Martin; what was the response to your question about this?

1.9PD AXB 104PS T30 Kombi 2004, Reflex Silver
MLS View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 20:12
Hi - thanks for the advice.  I think it was Mark who had the response from Steelworks, not me. 

Martin
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 20:25
my vw ones were £250
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 20:57
Originally posted by surfdub surfdub wrote:

I did a quick search on here about the steelworks bars and there's a few comments about sill damage and dodgy welds on the brackets. I take that the company making them has sorted this out now? Martin; what was the response to your question about this?

D'uh, I meant, Mark; what was the response to your question about this?

I'll get my coat...  Embarrassed
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus_asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 21:20
Hi Surfdub,

I too had seen forum responses about bad welds and asked what they were like now, this was his reply:

"Hi,

Thank you for your email.

We offer a 12 month warranty with all our products.

Our new version brackets have new improved seam welding and are zinc anodised for a superior corrosion protection.

Also the threaded plates for the brackets (which were the weakest point) have also been revised.

See picture of old vs new threaded plates. New plates have a CNC milled base, fully deep inset thread, end welded and also zinc anodised.

(old ones were just surface welded)

Even the OEM VW ones are not as good quality!

Any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Stephen
SteelWorks Inc Ltd"

I am well happy with my side bars and could not think of anything to improve them and quite simple to fit.

Regards Mark.

surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 10 at 22:15
Thanks mate. That sounds reassuring!

Cheers.
blazin-saddles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazin-saddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 08:07
I too was extremely happy with my steelworks ones and in a side to side comparison with my mate Gen VW ones I can't tell the difference other than in the wallet.  ps I'm very particular about things as I used to work in quality control.
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 10 at 09:35
Can I ask a quick question abotu the Steelworks bars? (and I suppose all sidebars in general).

Do they block access to the jacking points? Or is it still possible to easily jack up the van with them fitted?

Cheers

blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 10 at 19:41
if they are replica of vw ones then u can still get access to jack points.
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>