Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine feels lumpy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine feels lumpy
    Posted: 06 Apr 10 at 13:17
I've noticed that my engine 1.6td (JX) is running a bit lumpy at about 900 RPM
It's fine on tickover or 1K and above, feels really smooth, but if I just touch the thottle enough to take it off tickover it seems to run rough and the van shudders, take it to 1K and it's smooth again.

Any ideas anyone??

timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 10 at 13:23
wind the tickover up to 1000rpm and the problem will no longer existBig smile Sorry, had too much tabasco on my pizza.Smile Check for obvious leaks with engine running? bubbling  from injector base, split fuel pipe. Change filter?  Check all pullies for play?
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 10 at 17:17
Slight leak in the silencer box would that cause it??
Oil and filter changed every 5K, just did it but had this problem before anyway.

sportwomble View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sportwomble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 10 at 21:25
sticking idle valve?
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 10 at 21:04
Originally posted by sportwomble sportwomble wrote:

sticking idle valve?

Where's this located??

Checked all engine mounts which seem good and can't see anything loose.

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 10 at 09:45
Update

Removed the KNF filter and fitted standard one and still have the same fault so now I'm not sure what to do??

other than turning the tick over to 1K for a quick fix because the whole van shakes when ticking over.

Think Baxter needs to move to Bristol or me to hudders!!

MADMATT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

twin turbo taff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADMATT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 11:26
when was it last serviced?belt,tappets,pump timing checked
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 10 at 08:02
Had a full blown service 7K ago, will have another look at the weekend.

Would book it into a garage but just don't trust any of them (not Baxter), most seem to have the pratice of fitting parts until they find the fault.

MADMATT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

twin turbo taff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADMATT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 10 at 23:32
i can have a look in newport 07790005290
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 13:44

The good news is fault found and fixed Smile

The bad news is it’s been an expensive lesson Cry

1.     Gave engine full service £80 ish

2.     Fitted 1x new injector to all cylinder one by one £35

3.     Took van to a garage to be told it’s an injector issue £48

4.     3x more injector fitted £105 still no change

5.     Checked and change shims £100 (including tools for job)

6.     I then came across a thread and some info from Simon stating that the exhaust manifold warp and tend to leak from N°4 outlet, half a day of working under the van removing the exhaust sys and breaking studs, the exhaust manifold was found to be leaking. Also all 3x exhaust mount were broken.

7.     Had the manifold milled flat (free by mate) and I worked on the turbo faces and got them smooth and clean and ordered parts to rebuild £90ish (had to buy new oil return pipe from simon)

8.     Spent most of yesterday putting it all back together, and YES it was fixed

So if anyone has a rough sounding engine on tick over it might be worth check for leaks first on the manifold, in hindsight sight and thinking about it the black dust in the engine bay might have been a give away.

The down side is I’ve spent £460+ to fix a £100 job not bad hey?Shocked But looking on the bright side the van has had one hell of a service and I’ve learnt to check the shims, plus more tools for my toolbox. The best bit was I got my hands dirty something I miss these days now I’m a pencil neck. (not all managers useless and don’t know one end of a spanner to the other)Clap

Post Reply Post Reply