The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The high top thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvinuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 20:25
Sorry it's taken a while....mine at volksworld. Awesome vehicle, posh camping just don't get any better.
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 20:57
that dehler gives me a underpant twitch LOL :OD

my idea of the perfect hightop van, the only hightop i'd sell/swap my devon for "maybe" & its brown! your only northampton, you gotta let me come & have a look when i get my bus back on the road

& the yellow westy hightop above has the right stance & wheel choice, whitebands & the hightop work really well & makes it look less................tall!

i'm biased to the oldschool look though!
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

if your in the redline lol ya having a good time! lol ;P

max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 21:42
Originally posted by Grantus Grantus wrote:

I put this pic in the Syncro thread, but as he's driven it from Vienna Austria, to Canberra Australia - I think he deserves a mention in this thread too! Wink

so is this a vw high roof? as in genuine factory fitted?
Grantus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 13:23
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

so is this a vw high roof? as in genuine factory fitted?

Well he purchased it directly from the Austrian Army, and they procured it new from VW, so I would have to assume it was VW factory fitted.

However, it may have been made only to order, for the military. Confused

I'll ask the owner for more info, and get back to you on that one...Wink
Blue 88 MV Caravelle CL Manual

Was White, now Blue 91 MV Single cab Manual (Pritsche)
Marvinuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvinuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 13:57
Looks quite OE, there's a gutter rail above the windscreen which I've only seen on factory high tops. Prepared to be corrected on that though.
DavidPallister View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 19:08
Aye, tiz a factory VW hightop, I've got one, they were available as an option to make a high roof delivery van or a high roof kombi.  Seem to be favoured by the military as the fibre glass roof was fitted instead of the steel roof, so they are open to the top all the way along.  The structure underneath the roof is the same as the Westy roofs.  Holdsworth used them as a base vehicle for their conversions as well.
I've just pulled the roof off mine as the sealant had come away in the gutters so was letting water in, and the inner structure has gone fairly crusty in places, so maybe not one of VW's finest designs (think they're a bit ugly from the outside too IMHO)

Dave
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 20:31
more offal removed. What is it about High Tops that encourage all the window lickers

Grantus... do you think you could actively encourage the owner of that van to post an account of his travels in the Bus Park? With lots of piccies? Looks like an amazing journey!

Right... back on track.

Pics of your Quasimodo vans. Keep the discussions to the other forums

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
CycloneMike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CycloneMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 07:01
Stuckonthegrid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckonthegrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 08:48
Nice bus cyclonemike, best shape hightop I've seen. got any interior pics, 4 berth?
1990 T3 Westfalia Atlantic 1600td    2007 T5 130tdi T32 LWB Kombi
NZAndy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 09:04
Great hightop, did you do the body kit and grills yourself cyclonemike?
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 09:09
Now that is a hi-top I would own - very nice van Mike.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 18:45
dont know if anybody really gives a crap but i found a vw badge moulded into my roof on the inside at the rear so it is deffo a vw product, also found a vw motor sport sticker under the glued on carpet!!!

how good is that then! eh?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 19:50
same roof as our old un.
fitted by aztec in swansea

Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

CycloneMike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CycloneMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 07:20
Thanks for the comments I wanted something that was old but looked newer than it was. To answer the questions, the grills are SA type that are readily available, fitted with golf crystal headlights and clear indicators. The bodykit and bumpers are bonded GRP, quite a bit of work but the whole thing was in bits and primer to have some new panels in anyway, when I found the kit for sale. The interior is a 2.5 berth, I wanted a space for the boy to sleep and play where he can't cause too much trouble, so he has the rear roof space. Mrs CM has the front roof space for all her non essentials. The interior units came from RVTEC at Preston. The roof has EMC in the rear, I think the design has been used by a few manufacturers, they look very different and blend into the van much better when painted the same as the body colour IMO. Feel free to remove pics and waffle if they shouldn't be here. Ta.
kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 10:09
i like that last shot....brilliant playpen...watch out for cuddly toys hitting you in the back of the head when cooking.LOL.
we sold the same high top a while ago..they do seem to be the most sought after roofs, managed to swap mine for a westi hightop
86 t3 doka & 2001 T4 2.5 TDI
zimbok View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zimbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 12:16
2.1 petrol Devon twin slider minibus. Have been doing it up slowly. Bought Westfalia high top off Ebay and guy I bought it off fitted it.

Feel like a kid again every time I drive it. What a pleasure Big smile

1990 T3, Devon Conversion Microbus
Grantus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 10 at 07:45
Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

Grantus... do you think you could actively encourage the owner of that van to post an account of his travels in the Bus Park? With lots of piccies? Looks like an amazing journey!

Will give it a shot..Wink Bus is currently in a container in Melbourne, awaiting a ship to Dubai leaving next Friday. Owner is in Brisbane, heading to Kuala Lumper, Malaysia, then on to Thailand, and eventually Dubai to meet the ship. Then will drive back home to Austria by August / September.
Blue 88 MV Caravelle CL Manual

Was White, now Blue 91 MV Single cab Manual (Pritsche)
armyphil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 10 at 20:37

that's mine an 81 weary fitted with an ambulance roof
plurker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 23:08
this is mine, currently sits 2m90 high but looking to possibly put a pop-top on her later this year instead
The top's got no bed in it so isn't a good use of space...

WTD, T3 -40mm springs, a poptop and someone to fit it :)

kever View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 10 at 16:10
Nice bus Armyphill , a bit like mine!
oh no!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>