The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to get siezed raidus rod sleeve off?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to get siezed raidus rod sleeve off?
    Posted: 21 Mar 10 at 18:46
I bought outer bushes and sleeves just because Baxer says they always need replacing. I thought they looked OK but bought them anyway. They were not OK!
I got one replaced but I can't get the other to move at all. Put some plus gas on and I'll leave a week, - but any tips (short of pulling the whole suspension apart to take the whole rod out)?

Otherwise, I'll put it back together and get a garage to sort it some time :(
fumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 10 at 18:04
use some heat and a good pair of mole grips
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 10 at 14:23
Originally posted by fumph fumph wrote:

use some heat

I avoided heat because of the rubber bush still in place.

What I want is a compact slide hammer with a 'cold weld' function such that it automatically bonds itself to the rusty bush.
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 10 at 18:11
They are always knackered.
Fact.

(posted by Simon!)

Edited by Tee3 - 23 Mar 10 at 20:56

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 10 at 20:42
angle grinder. baxter does stainless ones too, i must buy some!
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 10 at 20:55

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 10 at 21:11
Thats what I got, shame I can't fit. Angle grinder no good because half of sleeve is not visible and surrounded by inner bush. Heat no good.
I think I'll construct a slide hammer. It always seems to be the tool I'm missing. If I make it then I probably will never come across a situation where I need one ever again so at least I'll get different problems for a change.
fumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 10 at 21:35
why just replace the outer bush if thats knacked the inner one wont be far behind   if you leave it it will only need doing later
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 12:53
There is a reason.
if you leave them alone it will damage the front cross member as the hole in it will get bigger.
Also, if the sleeve has rotted through it will then start nibbling the radius rod itself, which could snap, and they do, this leave the wheel flapping about in the wheel arch, not good.
At least by doing the outers you are doing a bit of preventative maintainance, stopping the radius rod getting nibbled, the cross member getting chewed and replacing the outer bush while you are there.
The inners are a twat on later vans as the road is usually siezed into the lower arm so the only way to do it is to strip off the complete suspension to get at them, which is not too much of a problem for me with a ramp but doing them on the drive is a c*nt of a job.
Also, the inner nut is part of the castor adjustment, if that moves then your into having the wheel alignment set - more expense.

Different story for the early vans, the radius rod bolts off and is dead easy, no point skimping on those.
DavidPallister View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 13:17
Not that easy Si, when i did mine couple of years ago, the 3 bolts that fix the radius rod to the main arm were seized, on both sides.  Had to remove the complete assembly and use the pillar drill at work to drill the feckers out.  Not fun

Dave
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 15:00
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

if the sleeve has rotted through it will then start nibbling the radius rod itself

My 1990 van, looked OK, inner bush looks very OK, outer one starting to split very slightly.
Took off the outer bush and suddenly a different story. Lots of flaky rust, sleeve worn through. Luckily radius rod unmarked, but it wouldn't have been long . . .  So, Just Do It!
Other side looks better, but I can't get the sleeve off :(

Does the radius rod just unscrew from lower suspension arm? So, if I could undo it then I could measure the length, undo nut against inner bush, unscrew from suspension arm, and grind the sleeve off. Then set it back to measured length after (if it handles funny, or tyre starts wearing, then I just take it to the pro).
Or is it almost certainly stuck, and almost certain to require suspension off, (certain, as in almost certain will need sleeve replacing like it did!).

I'm going to buy all the tools in machine mart - then I'll be certain not to need them and finally have a usable van.

autostart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autostart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 11 at 15:59

please could any one tell me what size spanners (and tools)are needed to take the raidus rod off with (cant afford to buy tools ill never use as my camper drains my pocket money) sorry to jump in on this

colinthefox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 11 at 19:21
The nuts are the exact metric equivalent of 1and1/16AF. So what? That size is common amongst vintage tractor owners, as it is the standard "Ferguson" spanner which is used on most agricultural implements, and these spanners are SERIOUSLY rugged. I used this type with a bloody great angle iron extension to get the radius rods out of the bottom arm. Using an open ender means the bottom arm can stay in place.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

All sorts of other oil burners too.

lhdwesty View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhdwesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 11 at 23:13
Originally posted by DavidPallister DavidPallister wrote:

Not that easy Si, when i did mine couple of years ago, the 3 bolts that fix the radius rod to the main arm were seized, on both sides.  Had to remove the complete assembly and use the pillar drill at work to drill the feckers out.  Not fun

Dave

I had the same problem on one side of my old van, it was a  right pain in the arse, I ended up taking it to an engineering firm who managed to get it out, even they couldn't believe how difficult it was to remove.

I take it this a a late rod ?
Rob. 

Edited by lhdwesty - 05 Aug 11 at 23:16
Westy Syncro

***WANTED***
tan / beige front door cards in good condition,no top speaker holes.
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 11 at 12:45
Don't think I can avoid taking the whole suspension off :(
Still saving for a complete set of bushes, but I better not leave it too much longer.
 Post Reply Post Reply