The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REMAPPING?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delilah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 01:47
Wow tuning reccommended by bilboes did me a fuel economy map also a towing map- they are added via a dongle & can go back to original from it too- it drives easier approaches junctions in higher gear without stalling etc no loass of power it is a 174  i get it serviced every 9000 & drive it gently...fuel has gone up a few mpgs in hot weather i get up to 44 mpg motorway usually around 40 but only from 30 ish to 34 on slow roads
fozzy T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzy T5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 07:34
Originally posted by spitss1 spitss1 wrote:

Fozzy - you had any clutch slippages with the top map?

Nope no issues at all, as ive mentoned before i never hammer my van 60 70 on motorway its doesn't get used much either its only on 35k atm and its a 06 its probs done 13k with the celtic map though.

Edited by fozzy T5 - 08 May 11 at 07:35
delilah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delilah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 10:46
I was going to sell my bilboes 174 camper & downsize to lwb van- it was remapped about 18 months ago -no probs- [mine 06- I got it off a teacher with 8 k on it  3 yrs ago -now has just over 40 k & been serviced properly every 10 k appx & had its big service ]- but the 08 van i tried b cos it had 4 motion had only 25 k on the clock from a dealer who seemed to have lots of refurbished vw t5 vans  resprayed & blinged up---  only been serviced once longlife  even that saw no paperwork for - seemed a nice enough van but when i got there something I instinctively distrusted /disliked about it or the dealer plus hadn't realised 4 motion is on all the time - always using more fuel-- plus empty van noisy/ rattled - after test drive I felt  thankful to get back into my own camper van..!. decided am keeping it despite the expense- - i realise would be so easy to buy into engine trouble & tailgate vans without windows esp are sometimes thrashed - my camper has been driven gently

Edited by delilah - 08 May 11 at 10:51
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 11 at 22:55
tailgate vans without windows are thrashed  ???   whay would a van get thrashed more just because it had a tailgate instead of barn doors ???
In fact I would expect the opposite , a tailgate is a special order i believe , most thrashed vans are not driven by owners but by company drivers and companies more often buy stabdard cheaper options .
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
delilah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delilah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 10:12
i meant vans in general theres a risk-not just with tailgates--- i still have the camper as cant seem to find a van thats right for me --maybe i have become wary as i looked at an x trail few months ago but mileage was too high then recently i saw similar looking x trail outside the dealers house & his wife said it was low mileage & a different one- so i went back to see it & yes it was now a low mileage x trail... --but it had exactly the same scuffs in same places & same stone chip & same suppliers sticker in rear window...
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 14:49
thought so , just testing LOL

I think you are right there is a greater risk with all comercials that they have been used badly .
You don't tend to find that nice low miles example owned and cherished by a retired person who drove it to church once a week .
For that reason i spent 3 times as much on my van as i do on my cars just to get a really low miles year old van from a main dealer . I would hate to have to try to replace it now that its 5 years old and only done 50k
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
delilah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delilah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 16:09
i did 400 mile round trip yesterday & the miles per gallon avaraged just below 40 on the way back when i wasnt going so fast -which isnt so bad i suppose -..bit less on way there-rushing to get there on time..  frightened myself about buying a used van afterreading the tech forums all the thing smay go wrong on a van esp if not cared for --& they are still expensive at 5 yrs old--
Vansportman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vansportman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 11 at 11:47
canceled

Edited by Vansportman - 04 Sep 11 at 12:14
If it aint really low i don't want to know
happyhooker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyhooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 11 at 11:19
Read with interest this topic!

Having a van well out or warrantee I am not worried about this issue, however it would be great to have a list of ECU remaps that people have had done, by whom and if they would do it again. Also what their engine spec was originally.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by happyhooker - 08 Sep 11 at 11:20
Keep Smiling Another Day Tomorrow! :-)

86 T3 'Animal Instincts' JX Pushed...

If you smell Chip Fat it's probably me!!
wully View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 11 at 12:43
Originally posted by OOO 2 LOW OOO 2 LOW wrote:

However VW being VW will support the early years and will allow the T5 to evolve to become a great van "BUT IT IS NOT THERE YET - ASK ANY VW WARRANTY SUPPORT TEAM"

No they sodding well didn't. 'support' from VW is a joke in my experience.

It's the main thing holding me back from buying another T5.   

Edited by wully - 27 Oct 11 at 12:45
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 11 at 14:38
Originally posted by happyhooker happyhooker wrote:

Read with interest this topic!

Having a van well out or warrantee I am not worried about this issue, however it would be great to have a list of ECU remaps that people have had done, by whom and if they would do it again. Also what their engine spec was originally.

Cheers

Paul

had the same issues there . Celtic in roche cornwall were the only people who really told me what I wanted to know without finding the need to slag the oposition or bulshit me .
 As an ex mechanic i can spot bullshit very quickly .
I felt they really knew what they were doing and had the ability to customise and alter the map to suit my requirements . I also saw my van tested before and after on the rolling road , which wasn't the scary thrash the nellies of it experience I had feared .
Ultimate power wasn't what i was interested in although the celtic map had the best figures , it was driveability economy and what was actually done to produce the changes .
To a layman It seemed the answer to my questions were lots of tuners  just turn up tubo boost and fuel  and get more power . Done properly there are so many other setting that are changed and the boost doen't need to be altered much at all which therefore doesn't put any more strain on the engine .  However the extra power and torque is considerable and with any power increase comes the ability to put more strain on the whole vehicle , used sensibly its fine , but if you drive it you stole it with a ton of load in the back then don't be surprised or blame the van if something breaks .
Slumpy Monster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slumpy Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 11 at 01:05
Hi, 
I just recently mapped Brickwerks T4 and I was just browsing the thread and thought I would throw this in. If you have a good tuning company they should have public liability insurance. A lot don't. On mine it states product cover this is referring to product's made by the company. As I write my own remap files they are my product thus being covered by my insurance. The limit is £5m.

A few pointers when getting a tune.

1. No map is totally undetectable.
2. Really you should tell your insurance company if you cause a fatality the police will check for a remap as they have called us before. But many insurance companies are ok with remapping but it depends on the underwriters. We are in the process of developing some remap files which will be insurance approved. This will also be a limited number of companies.
3. If you have an under lying fault a remap will bring it to the surface. i.e. a bit of clutch judder from your dual mass after the remap even more judder.

If your getting your van mapped these are the things I would look for.
1. Do you know if they write there own files if they don't where are they from? Many remapper's say be careful of people that buy there files they are all generic. We have 12 dealers and they all get files written by me does this make them better or worse than me?
2. Are they insured?
3. Find out from the customers if they are good. Pointless asking a tuner who is good they will tell you everyone else but them is rubbish. 
4. What is the heritage of the map writer. For instance I raced karts from the age of 12 and have been a race car mechanic and worked as a master technician.
5. Do they carry out dyno testing?

I hope this helps!

John Slumbers
www.kudosremapping.com
07825 837713
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slumpy Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 11 at 01:08
Moved workshops landline number is different just changed it!
John Slumbers
www.kudosremapping.com
07825 837713
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 00:07
Hi all just a word of warning new info from VW, everytime a diagnostic check is run on the van the diagnostic machine automatically sends the results online to germany if the ecu map has been changed they put a code on the dealer systems and advise that if any damage occurs which could be down to external modification will result in void warranty apparently it is stated in the handbooks,also the new T5.1gp is subject to various ecu upgrades via the dealer network if a map is installed during these updates best case is the remap is deleted and it goes back to factory spec or it can damage the ecu.Big brother is watching !
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 00:11
Thanks for the info m-t.  I wonder if all this complication actually happens, or whether VW are just trying to put the fear of god into everyone so they won't mess with VW's "perfect" programming/mapping (wouldn't be the first time for a manufacturer).
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 08:15
Well I can see how that might be possible to do, however, I've never read here or on any other forum of a owner being told to sod off by a dealer/manufacturer because the ECU has been doctored!

I suspect it could be a job for Snopes?
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 09:00
He did say "new" info though so this news could be very very recent...and he's never been anything but helpful on here so why doubt him now?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slumpy Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 10:26
He is correct BMW have used the system for ages. My friend tells me that the new bmw the key in them downloads the map via bluetooth to the dealer network. As for vw I know they were trying to do something about it. To be fair on them some bad tuners have been costing them lots of cash.

I was told by a Liscense Tech at VW that they will only invalidate the warranty on the parts the remap could affect. So your radio and steering rack would be covered but not your driveshafts and engine mounts.
John Slumbers
www.kudosremapping.com
07825 837713
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 11 at 19:52
This info has just been handed out to dealers there was a system before to check for tuning but it involved sending info to the factory, now the new diagnostic software checks this when any diag is run and the info is sent directly to the factory for monitoring, if a mod has been done they put a code on the dealer systems.It has got dealers concerned as the dealer bears the cost of any repair until warranty pays out if the tuning code is missed and warranty doesnt pay out then obviously the dealer is out of pocket.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 11 at 00:59
The really smart remappers might be able to figure out which exact piece/s of information the VW software looks at and leaves that unchanged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>