The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REMAPPING?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 23:31
Originally posted by OOO 2 LOW OOO 2 LOW wrote:

So - you get stopped on the M1  Plod pulls you over - plugs in and says wow ! 130 mph - yes officer you should see the length of my driveway.  Ok I'll let you off this time but wait untill we have speed limiters  in you ecu 

Theres ALREADY is a speed limiter in a T5 ECU, this has been debated before

It wont do 130mph, "only" 120mph which I have personally verified on a private roadWink

Edited by energysolutions - 16 Jun 10 at 23:31
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 09:10
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

I'm not convinced with the T5 174 - my drive-shaft failed at 80k miles!  If that's down to my driving-style, why didn't my big mileage T4 break?

because your T5 had almost twice the power and torque and you used it Confused 

Why Confused?

A vehicle should be designed to cope with the power that it has!

Edited by Happy Yellow - 17 Jun 10 at 14:01
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 09:31
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

It wont do 130mph, "only" 120mph which I have personally verified on a private roadWink

And that's an indicated 120 mph, so in reality it's less.

I suppose the exact maximum speed will depend on what size tyres you have fitted.  Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 13:20
Had the speed limited removed on mine when i had the remap done - but having spent so much time and money converting the van i don't want to risk being banned from driving it by seeing how fast it will go in the UK. Will wait and try it out on the autobahn when I'm next over there :)

Dave
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 17:00
Originally posted by Happy Yellow Happy Yellow wrote:

I'm not convinced with the T5 174 - my drive-shaft failed at 80k miles!  If that's down to my driving-style, why didn't my big mileage T4 break?

Why Confused?

i think it is really , but the problem with the more powerful T5 is that it performs like a GTi but can be loaded to wiegh about 3 tons . So if you drive it hard then its going to wear out the things that take the strain at a much faster rate than a van with half the power .  Your tyre and brake wear rate is a good indicator of how hard you drive . Some of us get 40k or more to a set of tyres less then 10k . As for drive shafts how many people check the rubber boots over the joints regularly , and how many people accellerate away hard from junctions while they are still turning that kills driveshafts but few care or understand .
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 09:27

Why Confused?

i think it is really , but the problem with the more powerful T5 is that it performs like a GTi but can be loaded to weigh about 3 tons . So if you drive it hard then its going to wear out the things that take the strain at a much faster rate than a van with half the power .  Your tyre and brake wear rate is a good indicator of how hard you drive . Some of us get 40k or more to a set of tyres less then 10k . As for drive shafts how many people check the rubber boots over the joints regularly , and how many people accellerate away hard from junctions while they are still turning that kills driveshafts but few care or understand .

Re: your response to my statement:

I'm surprised that you can draw so many conclusions about my driving considering you know next to nothing about me.  It would make far more sense for you to ask questions, rather than teach.

If the T5 175 performs like a GTi, then it, as a whole, should be able to cope.  Just as a GTi Golf should be able to cope as a whole.

Same goes for the payload - mine is rated for 900 kg-odd; I only ever carry half that.  And not often.  4 to 6k miles out of around 30k per year.  Max.  Most of the time it's empty.

Here are some facts:

I don't drive hard.  I have a motorcycle for that.  These days, with congested roads; hard driving makes no sense.  My van is a tool that I treat with respect; not a play thing.

My first set of brake pads lasted: front: 86,404 km (53,688 miles); rear: 98,147 km (60,985 miles).

Front tyres: 79,295 km (49,644 miles).

My CV boot had not failed when the drive-shaft failed - besides, the CV boot has nothing to do with the common spline failure.  I check the boots every time I'm under the van, which is about twice a year.

Please think, or ask questions before making assumptions Wink

Edited by Happy Yellow - 18 Jun 10 at 14:57
OOO 2 LOW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

i had a 174 T5 you know..or was it a T4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OOO 2 LOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 14:51
Look The T4 was designed by real people and then evolved over the next 11 years to become the great van it is, However the T5 (Like most cars today) have had a huge part of it's design done on computers  and has not had chance to prove it's worth or indeed evolve. In short the early ones are without doubt  troublesome. I know I bought a new Kombi and it was a nightmare. However VW being VW will support the early years and will allow the T5 to evolve to become a great van "BUT IT IS NOT THERE YET - ASK ANY VW WARRANTY SUPPORT TEAM"
Backing Britain -- Use as much fuel as I can
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 17:58

Why Confused?

i think it is really , but the problem with the more powerful T5 is that it performs like a GTi but can be loaded to weigh about 3 tons . So if you drive it hard then its going to wear out the things that take the strain at a much faster rate than a van with half the power .  Your tyre and brake wear rate is a good indicator of how hard you drive . Some of us get 40k or more to a set of tyres less then 10k . As for drive shafts how many people check the rubber boots over the joints regularly , and how many people accellerate away hard from junctions while they are still turning that kills driveshafts but few care or understand .

Re: your response to my statement:

I'm surprised that you can draw so many conclusions about my driving considering you know next to nothing about me.  It would make far more sense for you to ask questions, rather than teach.

If the T5 175 performs like a GTi, then it, as a whole, should be able to cope.  Just as a GTi Golf should be able to cope as a whole.

Same goes for the payload - mine is rated for 900 kg-odd; I only ever carry half that.  And not often.  4 to 6k miles out of around 30k per year.  Max.  Most of the time it's empty.

Here are some facts:

I don't drive hard.  I have a motorcycle for that.  These days, with congested roads; hard driving makes no sense.  My van is a tool that I treat with respect; not a play thing.

My first set of brake pads lasted: front: 86,404 km (53,688 miles); rear: 98,147 km (60,985 miles).

Front tyres: 79,295 km (49,644 miles).

My CV boot had not failed when the drive-shaft failed - besides, the CV boot has nothing to do with the common spline failure.  I check the boots every time I'm under the van, which is about twice a year.

Please think, or ask questions before making assumptions Wink

sorry Yellow I didn't mean to upset you  ,  but after all you did post this
"Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

So i presumed you show it no mercy  and expect it not to break . Wink
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 20:45

Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

And that's an indicated 120 mph, so in reality it's less.

I suppose the exact maximum speed will depend on what size tyres you have fitted.  Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

I had a  2.5 tdi T4 and yes it was reliable in fact my brother still has it but fast it aint well not compared to my 174, oh and talk about keep hitting the speed limiter its so frustrating is,nt it Wink i mean how are we supposed to get anything done Smile.

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:06

sorry Yellow I didn't mean to upset you  ,  but after all you did post this
"Since I fitted a K&N filter, my van hits the limiter constantly at an indicated 203 km/h (126 mph).  It's most frustrating when I've got high miles to cover.  My T4 was as fast.

So i presumed you show it no mercy  and expect it not to break . Wink

No worries.  And fair play to you. Smile

You didn't upset me - you were way off the mark, and I was simply pointing that out.

Please note that I'm allowed to rev my engine to the 4,800 rpm red-line (is it really THAT low!), but at 126 mph it's only turning at 3,650 rpm - yes, the drive-shaft is turning fast, and so is half the gearbox, but it's a walk-in-the-park for the rest of the engine.

The drive-shaft is made of cheese - that's not why I buy a VW!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:22
Originally posted by triple triple wrote:

I had a  2.5 tdi T4 and yes it was reliable in fact my brother still has it but fast it aint well not compared to my 174, oh and talk about keep hitting the speed limiter its so frustrating is,nt it Wink i mean how are we supposed to get anything done Smile.

Not only have you good taste in vans, but also bikes!

OK, I may have exaggerated a little - I did see an indicated 200 km/h in my T4, but by the time I managed to get a photo, the speed had dropped - honest!  See, it's not even at the red-line!

Edited by Happy Yellow - 22 Jun 10 at 13:24
Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:35

Originally posted by triple triple wrote:

Not only have you good taste in vans, but also bikes!

OK, I may have exaggerated a little - I did see an indicated 200 km/h in my T4, but by the time I managed to get a photo, the speed had dropped - honest!  See, it's not even at the red-line!

ClapThat's still very good going for a van, I would recomend a video for a top speed run its easier to catch the top speed. This is my one in MPH, not in my van thoughSmile

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:48
Tut Tut Mr HH!  You would say that, wouldn't you!

Err... looks like I'll have to try a bit harder next time.  My T5:

Edited by Happy Yellow - 22 Jun 10 at 13:49
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 13:57
Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

ClapThat's still very good going for a van...

Not just a 'van' but an old van.  Did you clock the mileage (kilometerage?) - over 350k, that's over 200k miles!  She was a good old buss! Cry

Edited by Happy Yellow - 22 Jun 10 at 13:58
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 14:04

Originally posted by Mr Hedgehog Mr Hedgehog wrote:

ClapThat's still very good going for a van...

Not just a 'van' but an old van.  Did you clock the mileage (kilometerage?) - over 350k, that's over 200k miles!  She was a good old buss! Cry

I did see the KMS but it was so high that I thought I must be getting it wrong. You must have looked after it well to go that fast in it and for it to go that fast In the first place
Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 10 at 14:09

Tut Tut Mr HH!  You would say that, wouldn't you!

Err... looks like I'll have to try a bit harder next time.  My T5:

I've had my 102 up to 175kph on a long run slightly down hill
mycarkeys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycarkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 15:23
I have a T5 174 with 145000 miles on the clock and i have over serviced it oil and filter wise using longlife oil and have had no problems whatsoever  and its an 04. re-mapped to 205 bhp and that has been for the last 70k or so without issue so what people say about them breaking down is in my opinion just the odd bad van (and all vehicle lines have them) and they obviously will crow about it but as a locksmith who knows other locksmiths with these vans there have been no problems but i would say that the 2.5 driven sensibly (not slowly) is a better bet than a 1.9 as it will  cope better with the workload.

Just bought a 59 reg 174 lwb with 7k on the clock and will definately be having it re-mapped 

Edited by mycarkeys - 25 Sep 10 at 15:58
2014 T30 T5 Transporter 2.0 140 Highline making work as a vehicle locksmith that bit more enjoyable

www.mycarkeys.co.uk
mycarkeys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycarkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 15:42
Originally posted by OOO 2 LOW OOO 2 LOW wrote:

I bought a new T5 kombi 174  and had big ideas had it for about a year fitted new struts with fast air bags all round spent a fortune on it BUT !! got pissed of with it breaking down every 3 weeks on average - Turbo boost pipe blows off, windows leak, electrics fail, plastic falls off everywere, The Engine with it's chain driven cams is great but the electrics are rubbish the ecu registers everything even the top speed you have done, all ready for plod to plug in and nick you at a later date I expect !!   Nah give me a well proven T4 any day.   FACT the T5 was late  very late and was launched well before it was ready Tip do not buy a 2003 2004 T5 as they are untested parts bin specials  (In short don't buy a T5 that does not have the central locking button in with the window/mirror switch. The early ones they forgot to intergrate the central locking button inside these are the ones that are crap -  Trust me !!!!!!
Still got a 174 ECU if anyone wants one ? came with the van new - replaced it with a remapped one.

See the post above mate. I would concur with you if what you were saying was correct.... at least from a 174 perspective but its not, so to say trust me they are all crap is a little off the mark in my honest opinion as all the guys i know have no problems much the same as my experience.

I would say I am only trading up to a newer reg as it is my livelyhood and the age and mileage suggests that something will go soon but to be honest theres been no sign of it thus far and its to be hoped that whoever i sell it to will have many miles of joy like I have

Also re the speed limiters in the ecu post........... do you read the daily mail by any chance Wink

Edited by mycarkeys - 25 Sep 10 at 16:03
2014 T30 T5 Transporter 2.0 140 Highline making work as a vehicle locksmith that bit more enjoyable

www.mycarkeys.co.uk
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 21:56
Originally posted by mycarkeys mycarkeys wrote:

Also re the speed limiters in the ecu post........... do you read the daily mail by any chance Wink

Please elaborate...........?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
mycarkeys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycarkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 22:53
Its a joke the mail always get hysterical about what the government is "supposed" to be doing to us. The speed limiters on cars being one such headline 

Edited by mycarkeys - 25 Sep 10 at 22:57

www.mycarkeys.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>