The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 Wheel Trims (Dirty Word?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Wheel Trims (Dirty Word?)
    Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 21:53
Hello all...

I have my T5 and I love it... The only problem is I'm skint! I read all these posts about the best 20" alloys and lowering options and dream about having the cash to spare on such things.

Anyhow, enough self pity... What is the word on wheel trims? I was looking at Robs VW T5 Conversion blog and he has some really nice looking wheel trims (photo here).

I wanted to get some for my van so I had a look on ebay and found these (I'm after black ones):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-16-BLACK-SPOKED-WHEEL-TRIMS-HUB-CAPS_W0QQitemZ390142598617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET?hash=item5ad64f9dd9

I contacted the seller and he told me these wouldn't fit a T5 cos the fittings are different.

So my question is... are there any wheel trims. other than the crappy standard VW wheel trims that you occasionally see on T5's, that would fit? and Rob... if your out there... how did you get yours to fit?
Tim the gas View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 19:55
It would seem "wheel trims" is a dirty word.LOL
2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 20:13

Dogboy, I'm skint too so welcome to the club - no shame in wheel trims - as long as they're on a T5 they're cool!  I must say those black babies on Fleabay look pretty good.  Can't help with your question but good luck anyway.

ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
dogboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 21:06
He he... Cheers guys... I thought I had "broken the first rule if T5 club" by mentioning the WT word!

I'm wondering if I could take the metal fitting off the back of some wheel trims and fix the trims to the wheel using cable ties?
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 21:16
Originally posted by dogboy dogboy wrote:

He he... Cheers guys... I thought I had "broken the first rule if T5 club" by mentioning the WT word!

I'm wondering if I could take the metal fitting off the back of some wheel trims and fix the trims to the wheel using cable ties?

I`m sure you could, theres a good chance they`ll fit straight on and if not then the cable ties should do the trick

I like them, but not sure about the black, be sure to post pictures if/when you take the plunge as they may well be what I require to replace "the crappy standard VW wheel trims that you occasionally see on T5's".....Wink

Edited by energysolutions - 09 Mar 10 at 21:16
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
dogboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 22:00
Cheers Energy... I don't really mind the standard T5 trims I just wanted something a bit more sexy :)

I'll keep you posted. I might start a company making cool wheel trims that fit T5's. I bet they would sell like hot cakes.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 22:25
Originally posted by dogboy dogboy wrote:

Cheers Energy... I don't really mind the standard T5 trims I just wanted something a bit more sexy :)

I'll keep you posted. I might start a company making cool wheel trims that fit T5's. I bet they would sell like hot cakes.

No worries, truthfully I dont like them either and I was gonna remove them when I got it but as the wheels have rusted (probably because the wheel trim clips have scratched the paint off and the road salt/grime/water has attacked it) its the better of two evils

I would love alloys but for me, they aint practical, plus the extra width of larger alloys creates extra drag = increased thirst

Also if I fit alloys then I`ll think, "hmmm, dont look right - needs lowered", then "hmmm, would look better with a Sportline bumper" and so on - where does it end? Probably with me in the poor house.......LOL

kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 08:18
where does it end? Probably with me in the poor house.......LOL

[/QUOTE]

And that'll mean .,..... no more John Lewis!Wink
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 09:30
Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

The strange thing is they were MILES cheaper than anyone else for what I was after

I decieded on the set I wanted and the cheapest I could find locally was £830, most were £850 (some were over £900!)

John Lewis had the same set for £816 WITH a Home cinema system, 5 year warranty and free delivery included, I didnt want/need the Home cinema system so I flogged it to my mate for £200!

Also John Lewis gave me another £50 back for "Poor service" so it cost me £566 in the end instead of £830 (locally) - crazyWacko

zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:18
Why will they not fit T5 wheels? you see the same wheels on loads of vans. Before I put alloys on I got some trims and they just clicked straight on. Mebbe I was just lucky.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
dogboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 10:58
This was the reply I got from http://www.bestautobits.com/

Quote : "Unfortunately these wheel trims and many of the wheel trims we supply are not suitable for the convex nature of the van wheels on the VW T5 transporter vans"

I thought they would just fit too... a wheels a wheel isn't it?
Belly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 17:37

Try this E bay No  250588135697

dogboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 19:13
Wow... They look just like the ones I was looking at. Are they yours belly or did you just do a search?
Belly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 19:32
Not mine.
Looking for bits and peices and I remebered your post.
Belly
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 08:24
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

The strange thing is they were MILES cheaper than anyone else for what I was after

I decieded on the set I wanted and the cheapest I could find locally was £830, most were £850 (some were over £900!)

John Lewis had the same set for £816 WITH a Home cinema system, 5 year warranty and free delivery included, I didnt want/need the Home cinema system so I flogged it to my mate for £200!

Also John Lewis gave me another £50 back for "Poor service" so it cost me £566 in the end instead of £830 (locally) - crazyWacko

Their warranties are superb. Costco give 5 years as well.
dogboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 10:23
You're like a couple of women nattering on about John Lewis Wink

I went for it and bought the trims that Belly linked to (Thanks Belly!)... Can't go wrong for the price including the VW badges.

I'll post some pics when I get em on and let you all know how well they fit (if they fit).
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 10:40
Erm, back on topic and away from John Lewis chat, but a cheap alternative which (IMO) tidies up the standard steel wheels is to paint them. Alternative to wheel trims which could fall off or get nicked. £10 for a pot of black Hammerite smooth, an hour or so of careful painting, let it dry then second coat on, job done. I didn't bother even removing the wheels from the van, so the rears of my wheels are still silver/covered in brake dust...

Gratuitous van pic:

/pic wh0re

We'll get alloys sometime, probably when the tyres are done, but it's not something I'm too fussed about as the wife will just kerb them anyway LOL

dogboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 11:07
They look great a11y... I'm gonna paint the wheels before I put the trims on so you can't see the silver wheels through the trims.

Do you have special caps with chrome VW logo's on?
merseyspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merseyspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 11:45
Ive got a couple of sets of BMW 3 series alloys here 16" no need for new tyres will take £80 a set probably less than OE wheel trims!!!LOL
Alex from merseyspeed in liverpool suppliers of wheels,suspension etc and a T5 OWNER!0151 525 9954 www.merseyspeed.co.uk sales@merseyspeed.co.uk T5 CARAVELLE BUMPERS IN STOCK T5 ULTRA-LOW SPRINGS £276
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 13:49
Originally posted by merseyspeed merseyspeed wrote:

Ive got a couple of sets of BMW 3 series alloys here 16" no need for new tyres will take £80 a set probably less than OE wheel trims!!!LOL

Nice deal but I'd just say beware of their inadequate load rating - even if I only occasionally carry heavy loads I'd always want proper rated wheels and tyres for that matter - just my opinion. 
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>