The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No noise from reverse sensors or towbar indicator
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No noise from reverse sensors or towbar indicator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No noise from reverse sensors or towbar indicator
    Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 17:45
I've just got a '54 reg 174 T5 and have a couple of problems I think are related.

First thing I noticed was the Parking sensors not working (VW, factory fitted I think).   No noise at all when engaging reverse, or getting close to objects.

I found a couple of loose connections and now but they are still not working.  If I put my ear close to the sensors I can hear the 'click click click' ultrasonic on all 4 of them.  It only does this when reverse is engaged so part of the system is working.  However there is still no 'beep beep' in the car.

I assumed it was a parking sensor fault but I've just connected a bike carried to the towbar with repeater lights and indicators but that isn't making a indicating beep in the car as I *think* it is supposed to.  The repeater lights and indicators work, and also a light on the dash to show they are connected but there is no beep on indicating.

Therefore I am wondering if there is no fault with the parking sensors, but with some internal buzzer that has failed.

Can anybody help?  is there such a buzzer and if so where?  I've been able to trace the parking sensor wiring as far as a loop under the passener seat but no idea where it goes after that.

I've found a buzzer behind the steering wheel - and that does work because if you leave the lights on and shut the door it sounds.

Can anybody help me at all please?  it would be greatly appreciated!  any pointers will help - where the wiring goes, if there is a shared buzzer.  Do you think the problems are related etc etc?

thanks in advance!
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 18:11
Whenever there is free sandwiches at our local, often complete strangers turn up, sometimes not even buying themselves a drink, eat the free snap and then bugger off!

Landlord doesn't mind too much, but its not on is it?

You'd think they'd come in a few times, make 'emselves known etc. before eating our free food.

Still, reverse buzzer, the sound comes from the same unit that provides all the sounds on the T5, so if your indicators click and your 'light on' buzzer works then it works and your problem is elsewhere.

As for the tow hitch indicator, there is no extra beep, just the trailer light on the dash.

Edited by Berisford - 02 Mar 10 at 18:17
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
stalbansdragon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 18:27
Interesting analogy...well I've just got a T5 so unlikely to be be on these forums before I bought one...and I have a problem.  What am I supposed to do...make random chat for a while and keep my problem quiet until I have made the requisit amount of small talk?  I've helped many people in the past on forums and will do so in the future.  Why not judge me in the future - if in a few months all I've done is ask and not give then fair enough.

Thanks for the advise though - it helps to eliminate an area of investigation.

Anybody know about what happens to the parking sensor wiring after it comes up under the passenger's seat?
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 19:44
Hi just a quick question if you have a towbar fitted and parking sensors that are factory fit is there an adapter screwed into the tow bar wiring plug to adapt it from euro 13 pin to 7 pin if this adapter is in the main tow wiring plug there is a switch inside the plug that turns off your parking sensors so that they dont go off when towing i would check that first
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 20:06
Thanks - just went and checked but it isn't that.

I can see the little switch that is closed when an adaptop, or plug is put in.  When I use a screwdriver to manually push the switch the ultrasonic 'click click click' stops.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 20:17
are you sure they are factory fit sensors alot of transporters were fitted with aftermarket ones from the dealer at time of pdi can you get a pic of em?
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 20:44
Will do tomorrow in the day light.  The sensors have an audi part number on and inside the bumper where the sensors go in is a re-enforcing plate that has VW written on.  They are also on an original wiring loom (though I don't know if VW include the wiring loom even if an option is not included in the original spec).
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 20:44
Originally posted by VW master-tech VW master-tech wrote:

Hi just a quick question if you have a towbar fitted and parking sensors that are factory fit is there an adapter screwed into the tow bar wiring plug to adapt it from euro 13 pin to 7 pin if this adapter is in the main tow wiring plug there is a switch inside the plug that turns off your parking sensors so that they dont go off when towing i would check that first

Thanks MT. Thumbs Up  That must be the same one that cuts out the fog lights also.   

SBD,  I understand your view, but us T5 brickies have a history of being ridiculously polite to each other at first (as far as we can LOL)  in order to avoid the usual misunderstandings and forum wars that come from typing everthing intead of meeting face to face.  So welcome, and I look forward to your input Big smile  

2004 2.5 174
mildu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mildu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 21:00
Originally posted by stalbansdragon stalbansdragon wrote:

Interesting analogy...well I've just got a T5 so unlikely to be be on these forums before I bought one...and I have a problem.  What am I supposed to do...make random chat for a while and keep my problem quiet until I have made the requisit amount of small talk? 

...does have a point really...still, could have got a few pints in though!
'57 130 T30
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 22:14
does sound like they are factory fit from memory (which is getting worse) the bleeper for the parking sensors is in the control unit located under drivers side dash trim look up under the dash there is a small control unit lurking above the electric control unit bit tricky to see,before you go diving in maybe an idea to get a quick diag check done factory fit sensors are diagnosable may point you in the right direction,let us know how you get on
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 14:23
ok - will do and let you know.  Might take a couple of days to get done.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 17:14
Fixed it!

I couldn't wait to have codes read....curiosity got the better of me so I took the trim behind the steering wheel off and found the buzzer had been disconnected.  Reconnected it and all works.

When I first started fixing this problem, one of the parking sensors had a faulty connection and I'd already fixed that.  What I think must have happened is the previous owner had the faulty sensor connection but rather than having it fixed they just disconnected buzzer.

Interesting what I found out though - Berisford: the reversing sensors don't use the same buzzer as the lights, it is a separate one.  Have a (bad) photo of the buzzer if anybody wants it.

Thanks to the suggestions from all, helped me diagnose the problem quicker than I otherwise would have done so.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 21:47
thats good news at least you got it sorted and a cheap fix win win
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 10 at 00:09
Originally posted by stalbansdragon stalbansdragon wrote:

- Berisford: the reversing sensors don't use the same buzzer as the lights, it is a separate one. 

Well, that's interesting, I stand corrected. Thumbs Up
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
RustyNuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RustyNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 15 at 14:24
Some photos I hope may help...

Buzzer is central of 2nd photo

RustyNuts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 15 at 14:25
Connected (twin) little cables to buzzer and constant sound from it, when selected reversing... But all 4 rear-bumper sensors are clicking..!?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 15 at 16:32
Sounds like one of the sensors or wiring is faulty, if you have access to vcds or vw system you can get the live data for the sensors should highlight which is giving you the problem, the wiring for the sensors can get damaged especially if you have a towbar and although still connected will corrode giving false readings.
ozbizbozzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozbizbozzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 16 at 09:54
Hi I have the same problem. Sensors all working but at first intermittent sound then none. My van gets quite damp inside so I am suspecting dodgy connections. ill have a look and clean em all up. Really useful to know where the buzzer is. Thanks.
oz
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 16 at 12:03
I have found damp get in sensor and you get either a squeal or a click and damn all. Whip them out hung them in hot press and fit next day with water sealant sprayed on.
ozbizbozzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozbizbozzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 16 at 11:52
good Point well made
oz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>