The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no speedo, erratic fuel gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonk65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no speedo, erratic fuel gauge
    Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 00:19
 Hi i need help with my van. It started with an erratic speedo but now that's works intermittently. When its not working the fuel gauge is erratic.
 I have another problem on the clocks that could be related and that's a flashing oil light. Iv been told this cold be down to high oil pressure but i had the oil pressure checked and that's fine.
Jon
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 00:56
you had fuse board out/dropped down?
  they dont like it and pulled/loose plugs can cause mental shit.

my tacho stopped working and oil pressure light/warning kept going off. one big smelly log in pants later all sorted.(i dont know about speedo as never drove it until i got it sorted)
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Tommo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 10:56
Had exactly the same thing with mine. It's happened twice now and both different faults.
The first was exactly as Elvis has suggested..
I'd been wiring in an alarm and disturbed the relay/fuse plate. Top right hand corner of the plate there are 2 plugs with 2 thinish wires in each,, both orange but one with a white stripe and the other with a brown, easily recognised as the pairs of wires are twisted. Been led to believe that they are data link wires for the ecu but dont quote me on that. I'd managed to dislodge one of these which  brought up the oil light,bleeper & glow plug light.

Second time was a few months back,, i was driving along happily when the clock and trip display started doing erratic things (speedo and rpm worked fine tho & no other warnings). I was half expecting the van to jump into limp mode but it carried on and behaved normally.
I spent ages wriggling connectors, unplugging & plugging back in but no joy.
The fault finally turned out to be in the dash itself. There's a voltage regulator that sits on the circuit board which needed re soldering. It's on a silver heatsink and positioned top/central behind the fuel and temp guages. Mines a 2.5TDi caravelle by the way just incase yours is different..

Word of caution if you remove the dash though... It's very expensive to replace & full of electrickery!! Easily damaged by mishandling alone. That's even before you switch on the soldering iron!

Of course the first thing to do if you haven't already is get a copy of vag-com or such like and see what fault codes if any are stored. If it's probs with the data link like i had the first time you'll have a whole list of them. However given your symptoms i would be thinking along the lines of intermittant supply voltage either internally in the dash (poss voltage reg) or externally in the wiring harness, connector plugs etc.

That's my 10pence worth drawn from my own experience, hope yours is a simple fix Thumbs Up

Happy Days Wink
Andy
First time i hit it i missed it.. Second time i hit it i missed it in the same place!!
DanT4Syncro View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanT4Syncro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 10 at 13:47
I'll throw something else in the mix.

I had the same problem, went through a few packs of fuses finding the fault. In the end it was simple. Disconnected reversing light switch from the gearbox and gave it a little clean. That was a year or so ago been fine since.
Dan T
parat4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parat4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 10 at 23:40
Had the very same problem on my T4, intermittent gauges, very easy fix. The solder on the back of the dash breaks down over time, £35 and 30 minutes at an auto electicians, brilliant now!
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 10 at 08:58
Originally posted by parat4 parat4 wrote:

Had the very same problem on my T4, intermittent gauges, very easy fix. The solder on the back of the dash breaks down over time, £35 and 30 minutes at an auto electicians, brilliant now!

Excellent instructions with idiot proof pictures( I managed to follow em!!) here,easy to do if you can solder
http://www.vwbooks.co.uk/t4.htm

Post Reply Post Reply