The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW 1.9TDi 90 BHP 1Z engine power upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTartanTDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW 1.9TDi 90 BHP 1Z engine power upgrades
    Posted: 13 Feb 10 at 18:08
Hello all,

Firstly, I hope you don't mind me posting in here. It's the only really relevant section I could see to post my query up in. I don't have a T4 but I have a 1995 VW Golf MK3 1.9 TDi estate. It has the intercooled 90 BHP 1Z engine which I believe is the same engine as came in some T4's ?

Basically I am looking for some advice on power upgrades for my particular engine, and although I have done fair bit of research on a few different forums now, there seems to be some conflicting information on some things.

From what I have learned, the best way to get more power out of my engine would be to fit upgraded / larger injectors from the T4 2.5 TDi engine along followed by a custom remap. I have also decided to go for a K+N panel filter (poss. a custom intake depending on what I can lay my hands-on), EGR delete / blank mod along with poss. an exhaust decat. I have been led to believe that I should see around 135-145 BHP out of my engine with these mods fitted.

The uncertainty I have is over the injectors, as there appears to be conficting info on which ones I actually need. This is the info I have on the VW T4 2.5TDI engine:

88BHP (AJT / AYY codes) [0.184 injectors, same as what my 90 BHP 1Z engine has]
102BHP (ACV / AUF / AYC / AXL codes) [0.205 injectors] [also Audi 114 BHP AAT engine code]
150BHP (AHY / AXG codes) [0.216 injectors] [also Audi 140 BHP AEL engine code]

Some people have said I need the 0.206-sized (502's ?) injectors out of the 102 BHP engine whereas others have suggested I need the 0.216-sized injectors out of the T4 Caravelle / Multivan 2.5TDi 150 BHP AHY / AXG code engine. I have a couple of sources for used 102 BHP injectors but none so far for the 150 BHP injectors, so it would be really helpful if someone could tell me the correct ones I need to use in conjunction with the remap.

To further confuse the issue, a few other folks have mentioned using injectors out of the non-PD earlier 115 BHP / 140 BHP 2.5TDi 5 cylinder Audi AAT / AEL code engine as these are the same as the injectors in the T4 2.5TDi, albeit with a different Audi / Bosch part-number. But again there are two versions, the 115 BHP AAT code uses 0.205-sized injectors and the 140 BHP AEL code uses the 0.216 -sized injectors.

There are also some people that have stated that using the 0.216's will be overkill for my engine and it will smoke badly even with a custom remap, is this the case ? I would have thought that when the car is remapped it would have been possible to adjust the fuelling though the new ECU chip to avoid excessive smoking ? They have stated that I would need to use a custom FMIC, exhaust and upgraded turbo to avoind excessive smoking, although I am unconvinced on this statement.

Basically, from all this, I think what I need to know is whether to find / use / fit 0.206 or 0.216 mm sized injectors to go with my remap. If it turns out I need the larger 0.216 injectors, does anyone have or know of a source for used / recon. injectors such as these ?

And as far as the actual remap goes, I am thinking of using Pendle Performance, as I have heard many good things about them. I believe that the injectors also need to be reset when installed into another vehicle, is fitting and resetting the injectors something that the company doing the remap would be able to do ?

If anyone has any info/ help or any further suggestions it would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

BigTartanTDi

Edited by BigTartanTDi - 13 Feb 10 at 18:24
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 10 at 18:12
 If you have a few years to spare try

more about tdi tuning then you will ever remember
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 10 at 18:15
T4 didn't come with a 1.9 TDi...

.216's are pretty big - i have them in my mTDi conversion, but reckon they're too big, gonna try smaller ones.  might be totally different in an electronic TDi though
BigTartanTDi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTartanTDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 10 at 18:18
Yeah, I have read through those forums already, but that's where some of the conflicting info came from tbh ! It's mainly the injector sizes that I need cleared up so I can then try and source some.

My mistake about my 1Z engine also being in the T4's, I got mixed up with the 67 BHP 1.9TD (indirect) ABL engine.

Edited by BigTartanTDi - 13 Feb 10 at 18:24
BigTartanTDi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTartanTDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 13:57
Any advice greatly appreciated !
 Post Reply Post Reply