FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to fix your heater cables [improved!]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fix your heater cables [improved!]
    Posted: 11 Feb 10 at 18:43
My photobucket account got deleted, so here is the thread again with pictures.

As a small edit;

I replaced the blue heater cable with a VW alternative which consists of a 'solid' inner cable as opposed to the braided cable shown in the last picture. You have to take the glovebox out to get to the other end of it, but it's an easy enough job to do.

Once it's fixed make sure that you DON'T EVER TURN THE DIAL BETWEEN 12 AND 3 O'CLOCK! This is the key fault with the old heater dials on these vans.

Enjoy...

Okay,

After the helpful advice from Heritagevancentre [Thanks!Smile], I've managed to sort out the heater cable problem on my van. All in it took about half an hour.

You will need for this;
A T20 Torx screwdriver
A flat blade screwdriver [just for prizing things off]
A pair of long nose piers
A pair of flat nose/wide pliers.

Step 1;

Take out the stereo

Step 2;

Prize off the top tray. It has a lip on the cab side so try and start from the windscreen edge

Next; Undo the two torx screw on the top of the centre panel.

Next; Gently prize off the fascia panel. It's held in with spring clips, and should come away easy enough. Be careful not to crack it!

Next;

Unplug the ASR and Demist plugs. The ASR is the blue one for refitting

Next;

Undo the 2 torx screws that hold the small plate that sits between the stereo and the control dials.

Finally; Undo the 4 torx screws at each corner of the dials and pull the controls from the right hand side out and up. You can't pull them too far without disconnecting everything, but there should be enough access to get to the cables. [The screwdriver is in the screw for the previous step]

You can now see the cables. The blue one controls the centre dash vents, and had bent on my van. I used the pliers to straighten it and give it a slight push the other way.

Test it with the fan on once it's straight and make sure the air is flowing and then you can put it back together again. I find the dial is still a bit stiff around the 12 and 1 o'clock part, but if ou only turn it anticlockwise then it seems to be easier.

Once again, a big thank you to Heritagevancentre for the help on this one.

Cheers

1.9PD AXB 104PS T30 Kombi 2004, Reflex Silver
 Post Reply Post Reply