The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 Lights Warning Buzzer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Lights Warning Buzzer
    Posted: 07 Feb 10 at 23:06
If you exit the T5 (open the drivers door) with the engine off and the lights on should a warning buzzer sound?

I`ve just noticed at present mine doesnt and I cant remember if it ever did

HelpConfused
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 08:48
Mine definitely does, yup.  Dead handy reminder when I'm getting out with the lights on...

Cheers!
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 11:08
Is your radio the original one ES?
2004 2.5 174
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 13:19
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Is your radio the original one ES?

Yeah it is, although it is a Blaupunkt MCD 200 sat nav

I also recently fitted an MKI9200 handsfree kit

I think I know what you`re thinking (sometimes aftermarket radios or similar can muck up the vehicles locking) and I was wondering about this too

I may try disconnecting the handsfree kit to see if it helps my problems

I also may take out the drivers seat and look for that pesky joint that is famous for corroding as other people with some of my symptoms (No warning buzzer for lights, central locking playing up etc etc) found this to be the cause

Edited by energysolutions - 08 Feb 10 at 13:20
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 15:00
Yeah, it keeps a terminal live on the ign switch which can stop the central locking working.  I noticed that the 'lights on' alarm only works if the key is out  of the ignition so I wondered if it could mess with that too.      
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 10 at 15:16

Yeah, it keeps a terminal live on the ign switch which can stop the central locking working.  I noticed that the 'lights on' alarm only works if the key is out  of the ignition so I wondered if it could mess with that too.      

Thanks for that

My central locking does work but some other odd/strange faults have crept into it eg no lights buzzer, drivers door no longer registers on the MFD, side door intermittently plays up and I have even noticed that occasionally when I open the drivers door the indicators blink on the dash (both at once, like the hazard lights were on) for a split second

I`m starting to suspect something central to all of these issues ie the joint below the drivers door/seat which corrodes

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 05:46
The micro switch in the driver's door can also cause these sorts of problems.  The "quick-n-nasty fix" is to liberally spray it with WD40, but IIRC most people seem to end up either replacing it or pulling it apart and cleaning the contacts properly.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 22:35
Mine has never had a working buzzer , iam forever leaving the dam lights on too . So far i have got away with it . 
Some time back i asked the same questions concerning the buzzer and i thiought i was toild it could be turned on or off with the Vag com ??
never heard the hands free thing before but mine has a tax disc holder with vodafone written on it and there is a wire to it from behind the dash . Must have the been the original owners .
i wonder if i could remove it and cut the wire .  original standard vw sterio cd fitted
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 22:44
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

Some time back i asked the same questions concerning the buzzer and i thiought i was toild it could be turned on or off with the Vag com ??

Thats interesting - I genuinely cant remember ever hearing it but it may have been there

Maybe someone with access to VAG COM can confirm if the buzzer can be turned on/off
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 22:52
Thats what i should have said , I can't remember if it ever was there . 
I remember another t5 owner telling me i had left my lights on one day i comented they should have a buzzer and he said his did . At that time i was asking if it was fused seperatly or something .
maybe worth a search for the info from that thread
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 23:20
I don't think there is any way to enable/disable it with vag-com.  Well I can't say for certain but I have never seen any reference to it scrolling through the likely controllers on mine.  Google it someone. Smile  Not me, I'm off to bedzzz  Sleepy
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 10 at 23:34

I don't think there is any way to enable/disable it with vag-com.  Well I can't say for certain but I have never seen any reference to it scrolling through the likely controllers on mine.  Google it someone. Smile  Not me, I'm off to bedzzz  Sleepy

It seems it can be toggled on/off, or at least post 7 here would lead you to believe.......
RichardBW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardBW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 10 at 08:05
micro switches in the door catches are common failure on the T5, my first t5 had one passenger door catch and 2 sliding door catches whilst in warranty, it currently has 5 months left and the passenger door catch has failed again.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 10 at 21:36
You can turn off some of the chimes with VCDS (like the seat belt chime) but I don't think you can turn them all off.  What you can do with VCDS is check the switch positions and see if the system is noticing that the lock is working.  It 'knows' the safety and latched positions of each lock and these should change on the measuring blocks (live data) screen as they are operated.  My money is on the lock but it wouldn't hurt to check for the comon corroded splice first since that costs nothing.   
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 10 at 22:28

You can turn off some of the chimes with VCDS (like the seat belt chime) but I don't think you can turn them all off.  What you can do with VCDS is check the switch positions and see if the system is noticing that the lock is working.  It 'knows' the safety and latched positions of each lock and these should change on the measuring blocks (live data) screen as they are operated.  My money is on the lock but it wouldn't hurt to check for the comon corroded splice first since that costs nothing.   

Yep, your theory sounds good to me

I will check the splice first to rule that out as several things have quit at once (unusual) but if it aint that then the locks are next on the hit list

Regarding the microswitches and their positions - My MFD displays the doors status (except the rear barn) and right now passengers door is fine (shows both "open" and "closed" positions), drivers door doesnt display as "open" (ever) and since sunday, the side door never registers as "closed"

Cant wait to saturday as it is pissing me offAngry

T5Tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 20:51
Interesting info! I have a similar problem on my 08 plate T5. The central locking is intermittent and the 'confort module' under the seat is making a ratcheting noise! to make things worse the doors keep opening themselves and i have all my work tools in situ! anyone got any ideas?? Wacko
Tony
tdfiver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 21:08
Yesterday as I was driving along, the odd light kept coming on the display/dash. First one I noticed was the rear door open lights it wasn't open) then a red light I couldn't quite catch in the bottom middle. Peculiar.
getting grumpy now
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 10 at 22:33
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

It seems it can be toggled on/off, or at least post 7 here would lead you to believe.......

Yes but they are American and they will believe anything that they pay enough to be told...

My tip of the day is to turn your lights off, then you won't need a buzzer to tell you....Wink
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Graham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 13:42
The buzzer should sound when you open the driver's door if you have left the lights on.
The probable cause is the micro switch in the door lock, it is a very very bad design.
The switch is actuated by the rotating part of the lock that engages with the lug/pin on the B pillar.
The very small plastic button 2.2mm diameter on the switch is designed to be pushed to actuate the switch, is not pushed, it is actuated in a cam action by the rotating part of the lock.
Over time the plastic button wears because of the cam action, so when the door lock is opened the buzzer fails to operate. 
VW need to understand that if you are using a micro switch in this way, you need a roller action as the switch was only designed to be pushed. 
The switch also controls the interior light.
Too much in one unit, in the past a separate switch in the A pillar worked well and was easy to replace.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 19 at 20:47
Welcome Graham. That's a seriously old post you have resurrected! I agree with you about poor engineering though. VW should have no need to do that when they have access to the best engineers money can buy. I admit to being a proper old cynic but there is also no need for known faults to be repeated over a decade or more. Money saving at the expense of good engineering will be at the bottom of it!

Edited by T5 TDI - 04 Mar 19 at 20:51
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>