The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Differences between 14" and 16" syncros?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Differences between 14" and 16" syncros?
    Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 11:40
What are the differences, drivetrain wise between the 14" and 16" syncros?

I know the rear trailing arms are 1" longer on the 16" and the CV joints are bigger along with the axles, but what about shocks and brakes?

Were they uprated too?Confused
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 11:47
Bigger discs.
Dampers same length but valved differently, green bodies as oppsed to red on the 14"
LT rear brakes.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 12:52
just copied this from an older post where the same quesion was asked...

Syncro 16's were never actually called "Syncro 16's" from the factory, the public tend to call them that as it's easy to remember.
The Syncro '16' was so nicknamed because it came with 16inch wheels. The 16 inch wheels were just part of a package which was available as an option for your VW Syncro T3 from VW which was designed to make your T3 Syncro more adept at offroading.

The package included the following,
-16inch wheels with either 195 or 205 tyres,
-Longer rear trailing arms with bigger rear brakes,
-Bigger rear driveshafts/CV's, (Bigger front driveshafts and bigger outer CV joints with vans supplied with front diff lock from the factory)
-Lower final drive ratios, (petrol standard 16 was 5.43, diesel was 5.83. Options were 5.43, 5.83 and 6.16)
-Rear difflock as standard
-Bigger front brakes, (bigger diameter discs, same calipers and pads as a Syncro 14)
-Longer steering arms on front hubs (only on manual steering)
-Wheel arch trims (to cover up where the body had been trimmed to allow more clearance for bigger wheel/tyre overall diameter,
-Body strengthening around the sliding door upper and lower corners and fill in blanks in the rear inner 1/4 panels along with suspension mounting strengthening.

I don't think I've missed anything but I'm sure someone else will fill in the blanks if I have.

Just a note on the rear suspension, the positioning of the rear shocker mount on the rear arm actually limits the movement more than on a syncro 14. On a Syncro 14 (and 2WD) the shocker mount is inline with the seam which runs through the arm. On the Syncro 16, the mount is lower than the seam... seems a bit nuts and it's one of the first things I changed on my Syncro 16.

MG

Edited by Ghia - 04 Feb 10 at 15:27
Mzwo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mzwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 13:09

also:
ABS not an option.
spare always in the boot (i think), instead undercarriage protection up front.
Stacey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Tracie "Poo Poo" Magoo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 14:37
Originally posted by Zebedee Zebedee wrote:

What are the differences, drivetrain wise between the 14" and 16"

about 2"..

every little helps
I sell cars and campers.
www.qualitycarsuk.co.uk
~And I like filth, ginger people, drunk Welsh people and fingering food
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 15:30
Originally posted by Mzwo Mzwo wrote:

http://www.ig-syncro16.de/wiki/Was_ist_ein_syncro#Was_ist_ein_T3_Syncro_16_Zoll_.3F

That's a great site

MG

Edited by Ghia - 04 Feb 10 at 15:35
Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 18:07
Thanks for the info.
Suprised they had bigger brakes though.

Originally posted by Ghia Ghia wrote:

Originally posted by Mzwo Mzwo wrote:

http://www.ig-syncro16.de/wiki/Was_ist_ein_syncro#Was_ist_ein_T3_Syncro_16_Zoll_.3F

That's a great site

MG

Even better when translated to english.Wink

Edited by Zebedee - 04 Feb 10 at 18:11
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 21:03
Why?  imagine a wheel, like a big flywheel, big rotating mass to slow down.
Up the wheel size/weight/mass then your going to need more help to get it to stop.
VW already gave it lower final drive ratios, that was to overcome the extra height of the wheels and tyres.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 10 at 11:55
Never thought of it like that.
I just thought, same engines, slightly different ratios and bigger wheels.Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply