The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 1.9d compared to a 2.4d T4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 1.9d compared to a 2.4d T4
    Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 07:55
I currently have a 1.9d n/a T3 hightop camper bu tam looking at a 2.4d T4 coachbuilt.
Now my current van is not what you would call fast but it will sit at 65-70 all day and return at least 30mpg. It does struggle a bit on hills but I'm pretty happy with the way it goes.

What should I expect from a 2.4d T4?
Is it going to be a backward step?
I've had a search and read over having the timing reset by Simon could make a difference

I know the TDi is the engine to have but they just don't seem to put them in coachbuilts in my price range

ThoughsSmile

cheers

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 07:59
2.4 non turbo coachbuilt will be a bit slow to say the least.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Tler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 08:08

I was previously interested in buying an Autohomes Explorer, which was based on a T4 with the 2.4 diesel.  Fuel economy was one of the main things I wanted to find out about and I read several times in different places that fuel economy is around 30mpg, or just into the low 30s.  

I'll now step aside and await complete contradiction, as always happens with the mpg subject! LOL

lambretta lee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 08:11
2.5 tdi is the one you want , the 2.4 is prone to cracking the cylinder head in my experience and power wise wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding ...
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 09:03
They just don't do them with a 2.5tdi

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 09:04
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

2.4 non turbo coachbuilt will be a bit slow to say the least.

Slower then my T3 1.9d

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 09:05
2.4D are okay, just that though, okay..
27 if your lucky, not that quick.
Plenty of choice though.
You'll find 2.5TDI are a lot more expensive and there is a reason for that!
Damn site better, quick reliable and economical.
88's are fine, I have one for the shop van, fine for pottering about, sit at 80 with the cruise on all day long too.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 10:05
Okay will suit me fine, i'n not looking for quick, but don't want to end up having to drive ever where flat out at 60 only getting 18mpg

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 10:25

Have a look for a T4 Colorado if you want/can afford a 2.5TDi.They are coachbuilts but do command higher prices than the 2.4D Gipsy/Cheetah versions.

If you do end up with a 2.4D just make sure it is set up correctly because most aren't,which is why they get the "slow" tag.
Correct they're not the quickest but cruising at 65-70mph isn't a problem if set up correctly.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 10:56
Colorado's are the dogs but out of my price range at the minute, cheapest I can find is 17k plus the cost of importing.

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 11:24
That 17k will no doubt include VAT but if you know someone who is VAT registered they could buy it for you and that would knock a fair chunk off the price.

Importing would only cost £500 at the most.
 Post Reply Post Reply