The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9D AEF ?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9D AEF ?????
    Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 22:32
Hi All,

After spending a fortune on my van over the last 2 years I have blown my 2nd turbo on my JX and I havent even left the drive!!!!!!Cry

Im looking to change the engine just to be able to use the thing! and I have seen an AEF 1.9D in good order, full sh. I was wondering if this engine can be fitted to my T3?

I dont mind having to sort exhausts and the like, just want to know if it will work.

Thanks in advance

Rich
jim painter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim painter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 22:34
Just put one in mine. Fairly straight forward.
Jrp automotive welding, servicing and repair.
Cheshire
Face book page. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002268471342
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 22:47
One in mine for the last few years.
Not sure I'd change from a TD to a none turbo.
Would a recon turbo from Brickwerks not be cheaper?

richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 22:55
As I say Ive just blown my 2nd turbo and the last one I had recon'd. Ive had a guy look at the engine as the Buzzer of doon started just as the it blew, he thinks when i dumped most of the oil through the first turbo on to the M5 ive ran it almost dry to get it home.

Now its Fubard.

As for going non turbo from Turbo - iv only managed 180 miles in this T3 in 2 and a half years!! Unhappyso i dont think I would noticeWink

My last T3 was a 1.6D and it was great, slow as sh*t, but still great.
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 10:23
ok guys,

I have sourced an engine and I have just spoken to my local VW garage about doing the swap. They have said for a JX - AEF swap I need a new sump, oil pump, clutch, flywheel and spigot ring, plus the custom exhaust manifold. Does this sound about right?

Thanks
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 10:50
NO!!!

SUMP = use JX one and block off the turbo return feed hole
OIL PUMP  = test the one in the JX with feeler guages - reuse if good - you'll need to resuse the oil pickup pipe anyway on the AEF
FLYWHEEL = use JX one - new flywheel bolts needed as they are strech ones
CLUTCH = whats wrong with the JX clutch if it's only moved < 200Miles in 2 years?
SPIGOT RING = ok, get a new one of these!
EXHAUST - use the majority of the JX one
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 11:23
thanks mr hutch,

I thought more parts would be interchangable.  They have also said its a good 3 days work, im not sure about this now.

The Clutch was great last time i used it, so I dont think I will change it. Ive only just replaced all the JX exhaust too!!!!!

thanks for the info
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 08:08
Your biggest problem is the site of the dipstick, needs moving to the opposite side. The lug is there but needs drilling and the original blocking off. There is a way of turning up the lucas pump 10bhp apparently, looking into it.
the last one
colinthefox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 21:31
Rolo

Sorry to butt in here. This youtube video shows how to tweak the max fuel on a Lucas Pump like on the AEF. Shows Turbo setup but N/A is the same. May be of some use if you haven't got it already:-

Colin
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

All sorts of other oil burners too.

rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 07:57
Good link. Still want to see the 2t tractor, any pics? Was looking at a plastic mini car the other day with a Kubota digger type engine as std, daf type box very small, not much good as a tractor but 90 mpg.
the last one
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 18:08
Another question has come up! the engine i am looking at doesnt come with starter motor, diesel pump or alternator, are any othese interchangable with the JX?

thanks again

Edited by richbvw - 03 Feb 10 at 18:33
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 21:09
Oh....all right then.....choice of two....this is number one.
No electrics, starts by hand. Blows squirrels out of trees.

Now then Rich.
Use JX starter with JX flywheel. No probs
You can (and IMO should) throw away the AEF water pump, and use JX water pump, brackets, crank pulley and Alternator. Jx alternator won't fit on AEF brackets, and you'd have a problem with belt routing anyway if you don't retain the AEF PAS pump.

I don't know if the JX injector pump will run the AEF engine, (I suspect it would), but I do know that the mounting bracket is different in several respects. The AEF (Lucas) pump is timed by rotating the sprocket on the pump, so the bracket has round mounting holes without adjustment. The JX (Bosch) pump is timed by rotating the whole pump on the bracket, so would need elongated holes. Also the bracket is a different thickness, so I think if you use the Bosch pump on the Lucas bracket the sprocket will be out of line with the cam sprocket, so you'd need to change the bracket as well. That means taking shit loads of stuff off the engine, and also swapping over the cam belt guards.
Lastly the Lucas bracket has a rear mounting point which wouldn't be right for the Bosch pump.

In short, if you use a Lucas pump on the AEF it's simple. It gets complicated if you want to use the Bosch pump.

Colin

1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 21:30
Thanks fo the info colin. 

All of the extras have been offered with the engine, but for a hefty price tagErmm so I just wanted to know which parts i dont needto buy and can remove from the JX.

Just to confirm then if thats ok:

Jx flywheel and Starter
Jx Alternator, Brackets, water pump and crank pulley
Jx Sump (with oil feed blocked)
Jx oil pump if ok
Jx Clutch
AEF Diesel Pump (lucas)

Thanks for all your help, This is a last effort to get it running before its chopped up and sold as partsUnhappy
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 22:15
looks OK to me...  where are you in the country mate??  Sounds like you need a friendly yardie to cast an eye
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinthefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 22:37

Yes, I reckon that's about right.

I'm trying to get round to changing my CS to AEF soon, but too much other work on at present.

I've learnt a vast amount from the good people on this forum and elsewhere, and I am preparing a mammoth thread hopefully on all aspects of this particular swap, so your questions are good input for that as well.

A couple of other points I might as well pass on:-

When you are drilling for the new dipstick hole, use a 12mm drill to start and make a hole 17.5mm deep to the shoulder of the hole, at right angles to the face of the boss. Then change to a 9.5mm drill and go right through. This should end up with the dipstick the same length as on thje JX, and will give a shoulder for the O ring to butt up against. Use a block of hardwood to backup when breaking through as it's a funny angle and will break the drill bit otherwise. You'll need to check that the dipstick protrudes the same amount into the sump.

You may need to remake the little bracket from the alternator to the injection pump bracket, and you'll have to bend the dipstick tube a smidge cos the AEF block is a bit taller.

I'd be interested in any little niggles that you come across doing your swap.
1.9D AEF T3 Kamper

richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 23:04
Thanks for all the help guys, I too have had a lot of help off the forum (i Got my last turbo off here).

Colin, I am hoping to get a local VW/Custom garage to do most of the work as my job is now taking up most of my time (Transplant Theatre Nurse) along with my new BabyBig smile, although I want to do as much as I can and be there to see the job through (aswell a understand the whole process)

Mr Hutch, im in Dudley in the west midlands, there doesnt seem to be many T3s in the BlackCountry....  BMW X5s seem to be more popularErmm

I am a little worried that after speaking with the garage, they never mentioned changing the position of the dipstick!

rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 19:37

I`ve used a bosch 1600 pump and injectors on one of my aef creations, sat the pump on a tdi bracket.

the last one
westyguesty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westyguesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 10 at 20:44
Hi Rich,

I'm in Bridgnorth, so not too far away, but got a TDi in mine, so not much help. There was someone (I think on here, I thought in the employment exchange, but can't see them now) based near Tipton who setup doing vw including engine swaps. Might get a better deal if someone can find the link.

James
jim painter View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim painter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 10 at 07:55
I tried a bosch pump off my cs on my aef and it didnt work but i suspect it may have needed  bit more tweaking. So much easier to use the lucas pump.

Also i think i MAY have solved the belt problem when removing the pas. I have got a 5pk950 belt that i have got on the pulleys i just havent got round to putting the tensioner on yet but i think it will go on but will be a squeeze. I think a longer belt would start with clearance issues again. Will let you know later when i get chance to try.
Jrp automotive welding, servicing and repair.
Cheshire
Face book page. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002268471342
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 10 at 17:24
While its out might be worth using the wider 25mm belt, did this when I did the td version. You`ll be changing belt and tensioner, so use a new tdi crankshaft timing sprocket, always a good idea  anyway, the d sprockets give up too if not tight enough, use a new bolt and tighten to 90nm +90degrees. This is tight . I last achieved it by jamming the crank against the block with a large piece of wood to spread the load. Cheers rolo
the last one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>