The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

glue a new chin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glue a new chin?
    Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 19:24
how do u attach the sportline splitter/chin spoiler to the velle bumper? adhesive? 
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
rallye dale View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 19:24
I'm pretty sure its bonded on
My Van..http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic26281&KW=_post196345.html#196345

My Car..http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288209

T30 LWB 2.5 130 REMAPPED 56 PLATE
RICK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 19:50
2 self tappers either side where splitter wraps round bumper then sikka flex is the best about tenner a cartridge
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 20:27
is it still possible to change the front foglight bulbs  when the vw chin is fitted?  or do you have to unstick it!Confused

Edited by BANANABUS - 24 Jan 10 at 20:30
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 20:36
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 20:58
Originally posted by The Loon The Loon wrote:

No it is not possible.

lol thought id dreamt it !LOL

are there any front "chins" that fit (caravelle bumper) so the above isn't a problem and that fit with front parking sensors caravelle bumper
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

Norty Raskel View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 21:26
Actually I fitted my Sportline spoiler without bonding it. There are 2 screws/clips in each wheel arch and 6 plastic privets under the bottom edge and 4 screws that go through to the caravelle bumper behind (these 4 screws are hidden by the number plate).

All of the above are the standard fittings supplied with the VW Sportline spoiler and it's secure enough to not require bonding but also allows me to remove it change the foglamps should I ever need it.

Even if you follow the VW instructions fully, they only state 4 strips of sikkaflex of about 6" each, so even with it bonded it shouldn't be too problematic to remove a bonded spoiler.

Norty

Edited by Norty Raskel - 25 Jan 10 at 08:49
07 T32 LWB Kombi
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 10 at 08:38
ahh, that sounds sensible
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
customvanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote customvanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 10 at 20:12

Bulbs are easily replaced, they are fitted from the rear of the lamp and can be accesed from behind the bumper/splitter.The best way to fix it is by bonding adhesive and then have the paint shop fill all the gaps and have the whole front bumper painted together, only downfall is if you ever manage to crack the lamp lense you won't be able to get it out but they are quite tough

andycapandy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycapandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 23:00
i have just fitted mine and wont be changing a fog lamp if it breaks.

My spoiler was second hand so i found i few mm gaps where the spoiler met the bumper, so these had to be filled then sprayed to get a good finish and fit. (it was genuine VW)

heres a few pics....

Someone didnt prep proper before....
lots of sanding....
primed and nearly ready
A bit of paint
fitted

Cheers Andy

simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 10 at 07:25
Nice job. After all that nice work you should be more careful filling up with fuel though!!

Is that a standard blaack rear bumper you have or is it now sprayed?
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 10 at 08:11
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

Nice job. After all that nice work you should be more careful filling up with fuel though!!

I was going to say the same... Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycapandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 10 at 08:34
The fuel spilage will be mrs andycapandy's work.

I always drain every lost drop frpm the pipe Smile

The rear bumper is standard but will be sprayed in the next weeks weeks.

Just fitted a pop top and converting the inside at the moment.

My front spoiler only had 2 screws either side of it to attche to the bumper so i used plenty of stickaflex to make sure it didnt move.

The only thing i have come accros for the foglamps is is film which is meant to stop them from getting cracked. Other than that i will have a big problem should one break.

Cheers Andy
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 10 at 22:27

nice work,

what filler did you use?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycapandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 10 at 23:10
Originally posted by smidsy smidsy wrote:

nice work,

what filler did you use?
Hi,
Just standard filler bog to fill the gaps, then high build primer for any minor detail.

I am no paint expert, Just try my best and ended up with a decent result.

Cheers AndySmile
 Post Reply Post Reply