The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought my first Syncro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Dubnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 17:44
I'll try to sort some photos of the budby seat as it mounts quite easily and has it's own lap belt.
Living the dream...
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 18:38
Originally posted by Ghia Ghia wrote:

Could you give us all a rundown on what a Trakka is?

Thought you would have seen the 16" Trakka on Youtube Mike?

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 19:17
I have but seeing as a Trakka is relatively rare over here, I thought it might be a nice oppertunity for the new owner to share some info with the other members of the Brick-yard.
MG
Rusty Dubnuts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Dubnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 10 at 21:31
"I have but seeing as a Trakka is relatively rare over here, I thought it might be a nice oppertunity for the new owner to share some info with the other members of the Brick-yard."

There's some links and photos earlier in the post but basicaly, a Trakker is pretty well the Australian answer to the Westfalia.  The company appears to be still flourishing thought they've stopped doing T3s :-(
Living the dream...
Vw.newbie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vw.newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 12:27
Do you recon i can get one of these for aproxx £700/£1000?
Whats the difference between T3 and Syncro?
Les Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 13:04
The T3 is the 2WD core model Transporter, Single Cab and Double Cab.  The Syncro is the T3 4WD version.  There were only 44,000 Syncros made world wide and only 2108 of those were in RHD.   These were split between the UK, South Africa and Australia. 
Les Harris
Syncro_T3_Australia
Andi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 13:18
Originally posted by Vw.newbie Vw.newbie wrote:

I'm guessing you might need a bit more than that...
£1000 doesn't go very far in terms of buying a van I'm afraid, I would reckon you'll be getting quite project for that
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 14:52

No.
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 16:21

no chance mate! £1000 gets you a rough converted van with diesel engine or maybe a tatty air cooled camper but it will be very shabby or nearly dead!

syncros are 4x4.

i looked at a syncro that was minus its front diff and prop and despite a new paint job (mask and blast style) it was very rough, engine was in but no head on it due a dropped valve and it was still £2200!

in the end i bought a syncro for £4250. looked good but still had a crap engine, slipping clutch, tired gearboxes, no heater blower, blah blah......a good syncro camper can be £15000 and thats 20 year old!

forget cheap. T4s are less it seems. Stern Smile

im loving my T3 tho and maybe one day i will be able to actually use it!    
Vw.newbie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vw.newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 16:22
I like that. you have a really nice one there.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 16:57

I like that. you have a really nice one there.
who?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Dubnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 10 at 20:22
"Do you recon i can get one of these for aproxx £700/£1000?"

Sorry mate but if you add a 0 to the right, you'll be in the ball park.

"I like that. you have a really nice one there."

If that's mine then thanks, come have a good luck round if you see ma at the shows, it might give you ideas on the different approach to camper conversions.
Living the dream...
Les Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 10 at 23:11
As a point of comparison, camping-converted T3 Syncros in Australia have been steadily going up in price for many years.  This is probably due to thwo things. 

The first is that we never got many in Australia - remember that only 2108 RH drive were produced world-wide. 

The second is that people discover that a Syncro will go anywhere a person would reasonably want to go - fire trails, bush tracks, desert, beaches - with ease and comfort.  The camper version is a self-contained vehicle that allows weeks of camping out a very long way from anywhere. 

People make mental comparisons between "real" 4WDs and the Syncro.  The "real" 4WDs are cramped and have very little storage capacity.  The Syncro camper is a stand-up, walk-around vehicle with everything onboard.  In the case of the Trakka, this includes a hot/cold shower.

The end result in Australia is that Syncro campers in good condition regularly sell in the AUD$22-26,000 range.  This shows no signs of abating.

As a side matter, the (Yahoo) Syncro_T3_Australia group has over 100 Syncro owner members in Australia and NZ.

Les Harris
Syncro_T3_Australia
pajefferies View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pajefferies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 10:34
Hi mate.

Any idea where you can buy that front buddy seat !?

Cheers
Phil.

Camperman
freej View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 09:30
looks sweet, all the goodies inside too!
Rusty Yet Trusty
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 14:33
Nice one!
(for a T3Wink)

Stefan

De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
slowcoach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 10 at 16:13
Originally posted by Rusty Dubnuts Rusty Dubnuts wrote:

Proven very usefull so far as they have all the updated wiring diagrams as the original conversion uses a standart car battery charger in the cupboard to charge the auxillary battery when conected to the mains !

ah! ive an original trakka T3 conversion (not synchro), and have, i think, a charger for the 2 leisure batteries somewhere on board.  ive got the onboard lead for it (which plugs into the 2 AC sockets up behind the driver seat), but not gone rumaging for the actual charger. can you tell me where yours is? its not the split relay under the bench seat is it??  i figured it would be elsewhere?

thanks!

john.
======
1984 T3 EJ20
ghop99 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghop99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 10 at 19:32
Can I ask how you came about it?  I am on the hunt for a syncro camper at the moment
I've found my Syncro......

1987 T3 Syncro
2008 Golf
2010 Passat

VW Camper Hire Devon http://www.morecambeandwize.co.uk/vanhire/devon/
slowcoach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 10 at 10:18
Originally posted by ghop99 ghop99 wrote:

Can I ask how you came about it?  I am on the hunt for a syncro camper at the moment
spotted mine on gumtree reasonably local to manchester.  but i didnt really know much about t3's at the time, and still just learning really.
(ive a friend with a late bay just round the corner, and turns out its also a trakka conversion.. dont know what the 'model' is though)
======
1984 T3 EJ20
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Dubnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 10 at 22:19
Sorry Guys, not been on this thread for a while.  Good to see there's some other Trakkas out there though Big smile  Les Harris on the Aussie Kombi/T3 forums is a mine of information when it comes to spotting the level of conversion.

I found mine on 80-90 web site but I've seen 3 or 4 syncro campers go for sale on here and ebay since.

As for the battery charger, you can't miss it on mine.  You open the cupboard that's behind the drivers seat and it's sat in the bottom, under the bottom drawer.  Basicaly it's just a domestic car battery charger that you'd use at home but I guess that's the way it was done LOL

I was asked recently if I'd write up an article on the beast so when it's sorted I'll post it up here as well...if I remember Wacko
Living the dream...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>