FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

subaru gearbox?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Griff71 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griff71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: subaru gearbox?
    Posted: 10 Feb 10 at 20:23
Probably pointing out the obvious but if the legacy is an auto and it's going to go into a manual you will also need a starter from a manual Scooby.  This can be from either Legacy or Impreza as they are the same (97-05).  Also depending on how you are fitting the motor to your VW box you will need to modify the starter with a grinder.  This is assuming you are using an rjes bellhousing hich is by far the simplist way.

As for gear boxes mine is a 4 speed as fitted to a 89, 1.9dg crew cab, i'm not sure what code.  Ideally i will get a custom build from these guys: http://www.bearsmotorsport.co.uk to make the most of the new motor.  I have done mega miles on the standard 4 speed box with no issues and i am not always the tamest driver.  I have 17s on rear with 245/45 tyres so they are a bit taller than stock.  Bears advise they can do nothing with a 5 speed as 5th is set and unable to modify (not sure what that means) they advise 4 speed is the box to go for.  Mine in stock form is good for well over 100 (back to zero in fact).  Will do 40 in 2nd 75 in 3rd and hell knows in 4th (lose my bottle, before my license!) i confirm 1st gear becomes pointless. Bears quote about £1500 from what i recall.

I am sure i did read somewhere that a Subaru box had been used in a VW but may have been a mid mount.  There is a company that convert Imprezas to rear wheel drive only (drifting purposes!!!???).

Good luck and if you haven't already check out: http://www.rjes.com before you go any further.  Richard Jones offers great advice and knowledge when it comes to Subaru conversions.

Griff

Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 19:04
Originally posted by Sam Sam wrote:

i have a mate who owns a scrappy and has 2 scoobies in atm, and i can strip what i want, so i'm just trying to get the list together as i could be over there tomorrow!

Can I borrow your mate?

I see we're in the same neighbourhood, wouldn't mind coming along sometime to see how its going. I could learn from your mistakes!! Wink
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 19:01
Originally posted by Ghia Ghia wrote:

There are later 4 speed gearboxes with the same 4.57 final drive ratio which are just as strong and will bolt in. MG

What code box is that?
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
mr bricolage View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr bricolage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 15:10
I have a DK box. You have to make an extender to the gearbox bracket which is 60mm long and extend the linkage by 60mm. You also need to make a new bush for the linkage. It's not too much effort and works well. Look at my thread from about 2.5 years ago and you will see what I made.

Edited by mr bricolage - 18 Jan 10 at 15:10
Euramobil Terestra
michestar View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 13:33
Originally posted by Ghia Ghia wrote:

The DK gearbox means changing the rear section of linkage and making up a new gearbox front mount.
There are later 4 speed gearboxes with the same 4.57 final drive ratio which are just as strong and will bolt in.
I must say I prefer the 4 speed to the 5 speed for driving.
MG

true but i havent found a 4 speed with the same 4th gear as a dk!
I find it better on fuel at motorway speeds than my old abb  box.
if you want 4 speed manual and want accelaration you want an abd late 4 speed,if you want longest legs for lowest revs dk 2l aircooled is king.
tyres choice does help but all it really does is change the final drive slightly it wont alter the gear ratio spread if you catch my drift.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 11:02
Originally posted by t3monkey boy t3monkey boy wrote:

Does putting taller tyres on the rear make much of a difference? i have a 5 speed box in my scooby and your right 1st is a waste of time..

Yes!

MG
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 10:48
search my posts - theres a thread on the diesel upgrades section where some of us have done just that with good results
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
t3monkey boy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3monkey boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 10:42
Originally posted by michestar michestar wrote:

go for a dk 2l aircooled box if your set on converting to a manual,an aap might just pip it on the legs but 1st gear will be a waste of time ;)
?

Does putting taller tyres on the rear make much of a difference? i have a 5 speed box in my scooby and your right 1st is a waste of time..
www.carsandhistory.com
Got a nice Subaru powered Club Joker.
Nick 07766310652
Email:nickholby2003@yahoo.co.uk
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 08:49
The DK gearbox means changing the rear section of linkage and making up a new gearbox front mount.
There are later 4 speed gearboxes with the same 4.57 final drive ratio which are just as strong and will bolt in.
I must say I prefer the 4 speed to the 5 speed for driving.
MG
michestar View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 00:48
go for a dk 2l aircooled box if your set on converting to a manual,an aap might just pip it on the legs but 1st gear will be a waste of time ;)
havent driven a 2.2 on an auto but a wbx dj2.1 auto is a real pleasure to drive i think you can mod an auto box to change shift points......someone on here has done it i think?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 10 at 22:59
I wish I had mates like that!  full front end wiring loom means completely removing the dash and is a real PIA!
Sam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 10 at 21:07
i have a mate who owns a scrappy and has 2 scoobies in atm, and i can strip what i want, so i'm just trying to get the list together as i could be over there tomorrow!

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 10 at 20:31
just done a ej25 conversion from an auto legacy..  you will need a flywheel from a scooby breakers as well
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 10 at 20:30
the aap 5 speed is the one every one wants..
but there are others that will give gearing thats close, to do it well you dont realy want to be reving the nuts out of it all the time.

a cheaper option is to run one of the more comon boxes (aap's are at a premium) with taller rear tyres.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Sam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 10 at 20:18
haha, what's wrong with that? lol cheers mate, you know what the best manual would be to go for?

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 10 at 20:15
No unless you want 5 reverse gears and 1 forward.
Sam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 10 at 20:12
hey, i 'm changing the engine on my 84 velle to a subaru ej22 and it already automatic but i think i will get the best out of it if it is manual?; anyway can  i use a subaru gearbox in my bus and if so what parts do i need to get?

Edited by Sam - 15 Jan 10 at 20:14

Post Reply Post Reply