The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 service interval

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castorway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 service interval
    Posted: 11 Jan 10 at 14:39
I've had my T5 since new and service it on the longlife schedule and have been getting 18k to 20k miles between svcs however I  used an independant last time and now only had 10k before the service light came on. I talked to him on the phone and he assured me that he had used the longlife oil and just to reset the indicator.  For my part to risk running another 10k on unknown oil seems a risk wheras £100  spent on oil and filter is a lot cheaper than damage to the engine. Anyway my question is this .Does the service indicator just give 10k counter on 'normal' and an oil quality check when set to 'longlife' or is the quality check on all the time.And if I reset the indicator now if the oil is duff would it tell me?
Why do I have to work when it's windy
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 10 at 16:38
Tthere are two service intervals the 10k one, or if set to long life it is 2 years or 20,000 miles. The service interval is nothing more really than a timer to remind you when your time is up and come in for your service. The guy who serviced it probably just set it to the wrong service interval.
DOGSBREATH View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
gok wan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGSBREATH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 10 at 18:25
My van is on long life, but seams to need servicing every 10,000 miles. I think the 'puter just decides when its time to cough up some more cash. VW says it decides when it needs servicing based on milage, and type of use, ie heavy traffic = less miles but more running hours. Personaly i'm just scared that something bad might happen if I ignore it, so I book it in as soon as the light comes on Confused.
mildu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mildu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 10 at 20:03
When you have a long life service the service indicator has to be set by a diagnostic machine. If you have a normal service schedule the service indicator can be set manually.

Firstly,I would ask your independent garage how he set the service indicator...manually or by diagnostic machine.

Secondly, if the service indicator has been set properly, ask yourself whether your driving habits have changed recently, particularly whether you have been doing shorter journeys. This is because the long life service indicator schedule is based on your mileage and/or start and stops. Stands to reason it will schedule on the later, just think you may only do really short journeys and therefore would take you 100 years to accumulate 20,000 miles!
'57 130 T30
 Post Reply Post Reply