The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tailgate awning at last

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tailgate awning at last
    Posted: 24 Dec 09 at 21:14
https://www.peak-outdoors.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=164&cat=Motor+Home+%2F+Campervan+Awnings
Some here may remember my search for a small awning or tailgate tent , something small to throw up just for the overnight stop or maybe just for changing etc at the beach or fixing bikes under etc . The times when putting up the big tent awning is too much bother .

I wanted a simple square tent that would just throw up over the open tailgate , This i hope may even do that without the poles in with the added advantage of fitting to the side door with poles as a small drive away unit . I thought i was going to have make something but for £70 this looks like a bargain .
There is an inner tent available too for about £30 .
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 09 at 08:11
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 09 at 10:38
Originally posted by orangina orangina wrote:

dam now that was the exact tool i had in mind originally , really neat .  I found similar for mazda bongo but despite many searches never came across that . i have to wonder if that came about after reading the original threads on here , it must be new . 

I may have to have that one as well , oh dam you Big smile
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 08:26
LOL only trying to be helpful...

orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 10:08
so you won't be interested in the Sortimo [T5] tailgate tent? 

(scroll to   102 - 103)

kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 18:09
Dam you done it again Clap, that sortimo stuff is really posh kit . If the prices my Wurth rep gave me on some tool boxes i can probably be rest assured the that superb looking tailgate tent would be too expensive for me to justify .

Its the ease of use thats important here , if it goes up and stows away quickly and easily it will get used if it don't then it stays in the bag and only comes out on long trips .

iam hoping that one i  have seen will just throw over the open tailgate for the simplest of use when a quick temporary shelter is needed . It will even get used when loading my van in the rain backed up to my workshop door .  If not then the first one you posted may get a go , thats not too expensive is it Wink

Good to see that such things are getting made now though I am sure i am not the only one who saw the idea
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 22:40
That sortimo one looks to be the same as this from the 2nd site: http://reimonew.ms-visucom.de/en/901632-vanshower_heckzelt_worker_vw_t5/

Seems to be exactly what i was after for changing and keeping all the crap and mud at the back of the van rather than having to climb in the front. It is £230 but as you say kernow, id rather spend that and use it all the time because it does the job.

Cheers guys!

Dave

55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 23:20
hmm very confusing , that first link that orangina posted I thought was £99 but when i look at the PDF there seems to be 3 similar items . Its hard to understand because i can't get it to translate to english . is it me or is the riemo site hard to navigate . ?
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 23:44
http://www.yatego.com/gvb-handel/p,4975cf47c2b5e,4579403602f8b6_4,herzog-primus-heckzelt-vw-t5?sid=10Y1261870496Y09cd91c5f0819e4df0
this one is one of the ones pictured on that PDF . it actually looks exactly as i had imagined this item to be , it throws over the tailgate rather than hangs from it . Could still have poles for the corners that could be used if you wanted to close the tailgate or drive away , making it more secure and useful for surfing etc when you want to go off and leave the van with the tent up .

Iam hoping that one i posted at the begining of this posty will do the exact job i have described above as well as fit to the side door if required .

Anyway for £69 i have ordered one , so will post details when it arrives and hopefully some pics if i can get them posted .
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 09 at 08:23

Reimo Tuffi

Reimo Worker T5

Heck Vanshower tent for the VW T5 in a modified version. Rear hochrollbar and then be closed by zippers on both sides. The tent is fastened by hooks at Heckklappenschloss and using Velcro straps. The Velcro strips must be installed only once on the vehicle.
The advantages: low weight / pack size and extremely short installation time. The tent is secured with guy lines on the ground and can also withstand high winds up. To receive an extension of living space with multiple uses: shower, changing room, sitting room, etc.
The side panels are completely removable
 Herzog Primus

Material: Coated polyester fabric
Size W 185cm x D 125cm x H 206cm
Weight about 4.0 kilograms
Easy to set up, the basic model needs no poles as this 'Heckzelt' drapes over the tailgate. it has a mosquito net over the large window which provides plenty of fresh air whilst keeping the bugs away.
A seperate (extra) panel is available, with poles, to convert the Primus into a free-standing, drive away awning...

http://www.ludospace.com/reimo/pdf/catalogue-reg/36-53-auvents-independants-tarps.pdf

Edited by orangina - 27 Dec 09 at 13:40
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 09 at 13:54
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

hmm very confusing , that first link that orangina posted I thought was £99 but when i look at the PDF there seems to be 3 similar items . Its hard to understand because i can't get it to translate to english . is it me or is the riemo site hard to navigate . ?

As you will see I've trawled t'internet (really bored at work today...) and have covered the main Heckzelte in the above post and put in a 'computer translated' version of the text.

It would appear that the Reimo 'Fritz'  comes in at

99.00 EUR

=

£89.05 

the others are more expensive...
It all depends on what you want - just a stand up shelter to strip off your wetsuit etc then the Fritz would be great; a place to extend the sleeping facility of the van then a more expensive and more sophisticated module is needed.

I'm still surprised there aren't more available (especially in the UK market...
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 09 at 14:36
Does anyone (whilst you're all being lovely and helpful) know of anything that is kinda like a 'hat' for barn doors? I checked out the links and couldn't see anything for Barns. Probably just being blind...
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 09 at 15:55
no, but I have found a VW Heckzelt for a tailgate....

kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 09 at 20:07
Working on a Chrismas Sunday cor blimey you poor sod , no wonder you got bored LOL

Well had a quick read in between trying to sort out my new wheel woes ( see new thread)

I remember reading something about the way the tailgate tent fitted to the mazda bongo and they didn't like the velcro and fittings that had to be stuck to the van . Sounds like there may be similar issues there

Albal i remeber back in the good old days when vans had barn doors we made up a board that fitted across the top of the barn doors that stopped them closing and gave a bit of shelter . we then used to use a polythene sheet in the rain , it was usually raining when we were kayaking , Big smile never seen anything on sale buit i always felt it was easier to make up a simple shelter for barn doors .  that tent in my first post would probably do you .
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 09 at 17:48
My little awning arrived today , I am quite impressed with it , especially as it cost me £74 inc postage .
I had it erected in about 10 mins on my own , and was then able to stand inside it and move it into position to conect to the van .
It will make an ideal little shelter for those short stops when i don't want to put the big awing up .
Its a bit too small to throw over the tailgate as i had hoped . but it looks like it will quite easily adapt to hang under the open tailgate with the adition of a few loops of elastic from the pole sleeves or guy points of which there are plenty of .
I expect 2 telescopic prop poles would sort it out and keep the tailgate up too .

I think it would would work well for a van with barn doors .

i bet i end up with both Embarrassed
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 09 at 00:11
PHOTOS.... 
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 09 at 00:53

PHOTOS.... 

Nothing to photo yet

If you look at the peak of the roof in that picture it is about the same height as the open tailgate hence the reason i think it would hang under the tailgate just right , or cover double doors

I need a dry day to get it out and experiment a bit with hanging points and some bungee cord .
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 09 at 18:04

I need a dry day to get it out and experiment a bit with hanging points and some bungee cord .

Shocked Shocked Shocked     I've changed my mind about the photos...     Wink   LOL
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 10 at 19:11

Shocked Shocked Shocked     I've changed my mind about the photos...     Wink   LOL
Don't blame you I hate bodges too . If it don't end up looking like it was made for the job then it will be be side door only .

So maybe some webbing straps then Big smile
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 00:34

So maybe some webbing straps then Big smile

i think you may be in the wrong forum - the "getting IT out to experiment" was bad enough, then the hanging points and bungee, but to cap it all you're now talking about webbing...    Shocked Shocked

phnarrr, phnarr.

Edited by orangina - 02 Jan 10 at 00:35
 Post Reply Post Reply