The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

electronic Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndyloub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electronic Ignition
    Posted: 22 Dec 09 at 15:12
Hi
Can anyone help me?  We want to fit an electronic ignition in our LT28 1976 2 litre petrol to aid with easier starting.  We have been told it would be a straight swap for the points she currently has in her distributor.  Can anyone tell me exactly what we need to buy and from where (codes would be good) and whether is really is that easy.  We want to keep her running well throughout the winter.  Many thanks for suggestions.   Smile

Lyn
Andy K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 09 at 17:30

Next year when I service our van, I'm looking to replace the points in ours with a kit from http://www.hot-spark.com/. As i replaced the points in my Beetle a couple of years ago with a kit from Pertronix and I haven't looked back since. 

There is a valid point that a well fitted and maintained set of points does the same job but for a fraction of the cost. However its the convenience of installing the electronic ignition and pretty much forgetting about it that wins it for me.

As for the kit mentioned above, I've no proof that the kit works but I'm willing take a chance. I can always put some fresh points and a condenser in if it doesn't work.

The other minor complication is that my van is 2.4 ltr  6 Cylinder, wheres I think (correct if i'm wrong) the 2.0 lt engines are only 4 cylinder. So I cant exactly say which kit will fit your engine but if you know what the bosch part number for the dizzy is then you can check against this sellers ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250548162428

Hope this helps!

Andy

Nessie - 1985 LT40, 2.4 Petrol (6 Cyl) - Gone but not forgotten..
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 09 at 20:28
Hi Lyn. I got one from NutsaboutVW, cost about £48.00 including P&P from eBay and took about 5 mins to fit. I'm still on doing mine up so haven't had it on the road yet but it starts better and seems to have a smoother tick over. If it helps my item number was 250441568902. That's for a 2 ltr 4 pot CH petrol engine .

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up 
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 09 at 09:53
I would agree that a well maintained points system will give almost identical performance, but where the electronic ignition system wins is that it won't suffer from the gradual deterioration between services. I would suggest though that if you are having starting problems, that there is a problem (which could be worn out points!) which may not be cured simply by fitting electronic ignition.
I've had experience with a Lumenition retro fit kit (on Mitsubishi and Rover V8 engines) which although pricey seemed well made. I did notice that if the battery voltage dropped below a certain level there would be no spark, however there was a spark when I popped the points back in. It would seem that the circuit simply stopped working if it wasn't seeing enough voltage, although the engine was still cranking.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
lyndyloub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndyloub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 09 at 10:05
Many thanks for all suggestions and advice.  We will go forward with this and let you know how we get on.Smile
Lyn
 Post Reply Post Reply