The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oil: 506.01 v 507.00  once and for all... I hope!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil: 506.01 v 507.00 once and for all... I hope!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil: 506.01 v 507.00 once and for all... I hope!
    Posted: 08 Dec 09 at 15:03
Before deciding if I was prepared to use VW 507 00 oil in my AXE (2.5 TDi 174 PS) engined VW T5, I thought it would be a good idea to conduct a little light research.  However, my first enquiries revealed that the front people (who deal with customer) in the oil industry are just as confused about oil specs as we, the customers are.  Everyone's answers were different: VW UK, VW Germany, Castrol, Statoil, Neste etc. etc.  So I had to dig further in order to find the truth.  Eventually I discovered the truth:

VW 507 00 spec oil is as good, or better than VW 506 01 in every respect.

The proof follows:

Item 1:  The company who supply the oil companies with the ingredience that they need to concoct oil to manufacturers' spec, Lubrizol, provide this comparison chart.  The two specs, 506 00 and 507 00 are overlaid on the diagram, and it clearly shows that both specs of oil have the same wear resistance (blue is 507 00, brown/yellow is 506.01).

Item 2: I have come across documents published by Volkswagen AG in Germany that set out all the criteria that the oil companies use in order to produce specific oils for VW.

First: Anti-Wear Behaviour (Table 4) for oil 506 01:

Second: Anti-Wear Behaviour (paragraph 6.1 and Table 4) for oil 507 00:

As you can see, the Anti-Wear requirements for VW 506 01 and VW 507 00 are exactly the same.

If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, I would very much like to see it.

Cheers, Rupert

Edited by Happy Yellow - 08 Dec 09 at 15:04
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 09 at 16:53
That is some comprehensive research and does prove that 507.00 is superior.

I'll take the risk of being ridiculed for my simplistic suggestion,but here goes-

It could be that 507.00 is TOO good for the early 5 cyl engines. I had an early 174 and it suffered with high oil consumption. The dealer reckoned this was common and that due to the combination of a special cylinder bore coating and synthetic oil, bedding in of the bores was a long process (very long in my case 'cos it never stopped using the stuff...)
 My guess is that this was addressed about the same time as DPF's were introduced along with the new oil,and vw specified 506.01 only for the earlier engines as 507.00 could prolong the bedding in period even further.
 Only a guess,but i'm sure VW have done it for a reason.
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 09 at 18:59

I wonder if it is more of a fact that cams and followers are just crap quality - i.e. not properly heat treated? would be interesting to find out who has actually replaced both the cams and followers and at what mileage.

I'll go first with mine at 137,000 miles
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 09 at 19:56
40,00 miles roughly and two years.
2004 2.5 174
jan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 09 at 20:09
My 08 T5 uses 507.00, in the first 1000 mile it used half a litre and not a drop since now at over 60K miles.
Now my brothers T5 auto, 05 plate uses 506 01 it burns about 750ml between services he has had no problems with any cams or engine parts he's on 240k miles.
So im hoping mine will be as good
2008 T5 2.5 130 lwb Taxi
Vdub_heaven View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 09 at 23:03
at last!!!! some bloody good reasoning for the old oil debate!!!

nice one and thanks!!!Thumbs Up

still fecking expensive though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VW Galaxy 130 in black
220k t4 800 special just died!!RIP
Proud owner of an 05 T30 lwb 130 in a whiter shade of grey!!
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 09 at 23:18
Nice work, Happy Yelllow! Clap
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 10:56
Originally posted by CLONKY CLONKY wrote:

That is some comprehensive research and does prove that 507.00 is superior.

I'll take the risk of being ridiculed for my simplistic suggestion,but here goes-

It could be that 507.00 is TOO good for the early 5 cyl engines. I had an early 174 and it suffered with high oil consumption. The dealer reckoned this was common and that due to the combination of a special cylinder bore coating and synthetic oil, bedding in of the bores was a long process (very long in my case 'cos it never stopped using the stuff...)
 My guess is that this was addressed about the same time as DPF's were introduced along with the new oil,and vw specified 506.01 only for the earlier engines as 507.00 could prolong the bedding in period even further.

It's fine to put forward suggestions, especially now that we have a proper document to take facts from.  And simplistic is always a good way to start.

To address your points:

a) 507 00 is no better that 506 01 regarding wear.  It's the same.

b) My AXE drinks oil.  It did while using 506 01, and still does with 507 00.  I know someone with a T5 130 and his drank oil until 85k miles.  Mine has 71k so far.

c) High oil consumption could be down to too slipperary first fill oil.  Yamaha had problems with their top sports bike engines (1000 cc R1s) drinking too much oil.  It was found that the factory filled synthetic oil was too good (slipperary) to enable proper bedding in (running in).  Now Yamaha fill with non-synthetic (or maybe semi-synthetic) at the factory.  Then after the first service (1000 km) synthetic should be used.  Yamaha, Triumph and KTM all state that oil consumption up to 1 lt per 1000 km is acceptable!  It's actually (motorcycle) industry standard, so there's no point in complaining unless you're using more that a litre per 1000 km.

Edited by Happy Yellow - 10 Dec 09 at 11:44
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 11:21
Originally posted by CLONKY CLONKY wrote:

Err... yes I expect so!  But what reason?  A cover-up maybe?  I would like an explanation with proof.

It's actually VW and Castrol who say not to use 507 00 in AXE motors.  Statoil (the Norwegian state oil company) and others say it's fine to use 507 00 in the AXE motor.  And by spec. according to VW's own documentation, it's also OK.

Edited by Happy Yellow - 10 Dec 09 at 12:03
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 11:42
Originally posted by Liquidfreak Liquidfreak wrote:

I wonder if it is more of a fact that cams and followers are just crap quality - i.e. not properly heat treated? would be interesting to find out who has actually replaced both the cams and followers and at what mileage.

I'll go first with mine at 137,000 miles

Could be.  I had to replace one out of four camshafts in my motorcycle engine.   I used the correct oil and it was run-in properly.  Whilst checking the valve clearances at 15k miles I found that one of the camshafts was pitted at the points on both of the two lobes.  The other three camshafts were fine, and still were at 22k miles.  In this case it was almost certainly down to poor production of the camshaft.

A pitted (or otherwise faulty) camshaft lobe will damage a good follower, so if both are showing signs of wear, it may only be the camshaft that was at fault.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 12:02
Originally posted by Vdub_heaven Vdub_heaven wrote:

Search around and you can get it for normal money.  I buy in 10 litre cans for about euro 75.  But I've seen it in Austria for euro 20 per litre!  At a UK BMW garage the Castrol stuff is GBP 16 per litre!

Seems like they charge what they like! Angry

But the filter is cheaper than the old canister-type! Smile
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 19:39
Cheapest place I've found for oil is TPS.
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Vdub_heaven View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 09 at 23:26
Originally posted by Happy Yellow Happy Yellow wrote:

Originally posted by Vdub_heaven Vdub_heaven wrote:

Search around and you can get it for normal money.  I buy in 10 litre cans for about euro 75.  But I've seen it in Austria for euro 20 per litre!  At a UK BMW garage the Castrol stuff is GBP 16 per litre!

Seems like they charge what they like! Angry

But the filter is cheaper than the old canister-type! Smile

just paid £20 for 2 litres!!

thats still fecking expensive!!!!Wink
VW Galaxy 130 in black
220k t4 800 special just died!!RIP
Proud owner of an 05 T30 lwb 130 in a whiter shade of grey!!
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 09 at 09:25
heres one for you allWink
i've got a volvo S80 2.4 as a winter drive while my bike is off the road due to winter weatherCry
now my bike is about due a service soon and the volvo and the T5 need one now

What I was wondering is.
If there is an oil out there that will do for all 3?
Im sure it'd be a lot cheaper to buy a 25ltr drum than individual 4ltr containers for them all
I know immediate  thoughts are going to be "no" especially as one is a diesel and the other 2 are pertol
BUT is there really that much difference between all the different brand synthetic oils?
or are we just being told they are different by folk who, as has been said ,are just as confused as us the consumerLOLLOL

im thinking the same on th etransmission fluid to as the volvo and the T5 are both auto's Volvo is dextron III not sure wot the T5 is I canny rememberEmbarrassed
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 09 at 12:55
If VW 504/507 oil is OK for the Vovo and the bike then yes, otherwise no.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 09 at 11:59
Originally posted by Onefut Onefut wrote:

heres one for you allWink
i've got a volvo S80 2.4 as a winter drive while my bike is off the road due to winter weatherCry
now my bike is about due a service soon and the volvo and the T5 need one now

What I was wondering is.
If there is an oil out there that will do for all 3?
Im sure it'd be a lot cheaper to buy a 25ltr drum than individual 4ltr containers for them all
I know immediate  thoughts are going to be "no" especially as one is a diesel and the other 2 are pertol
BUT is there really that much difference between all the different brand synthetic oils?
or are we just being told they are different by folk who, as has been said ,are just as confused as us the consumerLOLLOL

im thinking the same on th etransmission fluid to as the volvo and the T5 are both auto's Volvo is dextron III not sure wot the T5 is I canny rememberEmbarrassed

What bike have you got?

If you have a wet clutch, you should use oil that's OK for that (JASO  MA spec.).  Car oil used to be OK for motorcycles with wet clutches until CD spec.  CD means Compression ignition, sequence D.  To get CD spec. an additive was included that was too slippery for wet clutches.  NB:  C is a diesel spec. (Compression ignition), but any car oil that's CD or beyond (CF, for example) has that stuff that's too slippery for wet clutches.

Having said that, I use car oil with CF/S? in my old (wet clutch) bike.  But not in my lovely KTM that has lots of power and a small clutch.  I don't want to risk getting clutch-slip.

Re the T5 and the Volvo

According to VW's documentation, VW 507 00 oil must meet the ACEA Oil Sequence A3/B4-04.  If Volvo say that A3/B4 or an earlier spec. is OK, then you can use VW 507 00, but it's expensive oil to use when you don't have to.

For the Volvo I would look for an oil marked SF or higher (SH for example).  The further up the alphabet the second letter is (after the S)  the higher (better) the spec.  Brand of oil is not important, so I would look for the best spec. at the lowest price.

PS in my AXE T5's hand book it says I must use 506 01 for both mileage and flexible service regimes.  I think I remember reading that it was a misprint, and I can use a lesser oil if service is dictated by mileage.  Is this true?  What oil can I use for mileage service?

Cheers, Rupert

Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 09 at 11:52

ah! forgot about the wet clutch bit, i remember as soon as i read your post, it was hidden in the recess' of my cranium LOL. My bikes Triumph Sprint 955i 2000 model, i love itStar

my volvo is supposed to be fully synth but im puttin in semi as its needs a change an i cant afford the good stuff at the mo, same with the trans mission
i figure good oil of a slightly lesser quality is better than old black shitty oil any dayLOL

I do wonder tho if all these oil additives are just to reduce wear on poorer quality materials, they may be machined to better tolerances inside but are todays engines made with softer metals? or any better metals than in older cars that used straight mineral oil.
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 09 at 12:34

ah! forgot about the wet clutch bit, i remember as soon as i read your post, it was hidden in the recess' of my cranium LOL. My bikes Triumph Sprint 955i 2000 model, i love itStar

my volvo is supposed to be fully synth but im puttin in semi as its needs a change an i cant afford the good stuff at the mo, same with the trans mission
i figure good oil of a slightly lesser quality is better than old black shitty oil any dayLOL

I do wonder tho if all these oil additives are just to reduce wear on poorer quality materials, they may be machined to better tolerances inside but are todays engines made with softer metals? or any better metals than in older cars that used straight mineral oil.

It's fine to use a lesser oil, but it needs to be changed more frequently.  If your Volvo is a winter hack, then maybe it would make better sense to use a lesser oil, as if you are doing less miles per year you may need to change the oil because it's old in time (rather than miles).

How about this?  Change your lovely VW van's oil a little early each time and then use that oil in the Volvo.  You use Long Life oil in your van (I think).  My LL oil lasted 22k miles before the computer said change it.  So drain it out at 15k miles and use it in the Volvo for 5k or so? Shocked

Modern engines last very well.  Change the oil when you should, and 200 - 400k miles is quite possible without significant bore, piston, piston-ring, cramshaft, big-end etc etc wear.  It's more likely that an engine will die because a part has failed (normally due to lack of maintenance) - cam belts for example.  30 years ago 100k miles was a lot.  It's not now.  Modern oils do a better job for a much longer period of time (more miles).  For example:  VW T4 TDi 102 hp needed oil changing every 15k km (9,320 miles).  Today's T5s can run for 22k+ miles before the oil needs changing.

Modern engines last longer and need less maintenance, but all the time the manufacturers are trying to make components lighter and cheaper, so they are facing greater challenges as well.  VW and Yamaha are doing a great job.

You could buy best quality fully synthetic oil for your motorcycle from Hein Gericke for £20 per 4 litres (Motorex, same grade, same quality will be nearer £40).

For your Volvo maybe Halfords' own brand may be the way to go.   Or oil from a French supermarket.

I like orange... and yellow

Edited by Happy Yellow - 18 Dec 09 at 12:44
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 09 at 22:25
i got loads of old oil here from previous oil changes on bikes an the T5
if i had a centrifugal pump i'd clean it an use it in the volvoSmile
the T5 is on 10k service intervals on long life oil but i change it around 12-15k as its the same oil as the longer "long life interval"
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 09 at 09:18

i got loads of old oil here from previous oil changes on bikes an the T5
if i had a centrifugal pump i'd clean it an use it in the volvoSmile
the T5 is on 10k service intervals on long life oil but i change it around 12-15k as its the same oil as the longer "long life interval"

You must hate your Volvo!  As oil is used, the Viscosity Index Improvers (VIIs) get chopped up and the oil reverts to its base grade.  So if it starts out as 5W-30, it'll be simply 5W when used fully.

How about this to use up your old oil:

When in Turkey a few years ago I saw this home-made oil-burning stove.  Used engine oil was stored in the 'antifiriz' can, and drips were regulated using the small tap.  Combustion air was regulated using the device on the right.  It burnt surprisingly cleanly, and was lovely and warm.  Ideal for a workshop.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>