FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

does the van really need insulating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Monza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does the van really need insulating
    Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 23:10
They are bloody hard to pop I tried and it took me standing on a socket to get it to go. Even then it kind of went spluuu and kept it's shape :)
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 22:54
Large Surface area stops the bubbles from popping......
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 10 at 19:36
Problem with bubblewarp is...the bubbles burst if under pressure....not much good under a floor methinks?
I guess it's OK for windscreen covers etc...but for a whole van lining?...

My biggest experiance was building a narrowboat...now that SITS in a damp atmosphere 24/7!
Old style was either polystyrene siliconed (and SEALED AT EVERY JOINT) on the whole shell....or spray foam the whole inside and then trim it to fit panels.
Now people use recycled foam, with an aluminium foil on one side, glue on the other....it's NOT cheap, but it sticks like s to a b, doesn't absorb water and also gives great sound/panel deadening.

The really good stuff is made from a layer of soft rubber (with the glue backing), a layer of hard rubber, another layer of soft, then hard, then the silver foil. It comes in thicknesses from about 1" up to 3".....but expect to pay an arm and a leg for the thick stuff...also, a 2 x 4 foot panel of the inch stuff weighs about 15 kilo....so postage is also a pain unless you have a boatyard nearby!

I lined my whole engine bay with it...it's fire retardent also....had to cut a vent hole with a gas-torch, then mig weld a metal frame on the hull...THEN....had to go in the engine bay and cut the insulation away in the inside!!!!...hadn't even melted more than a few mm at the edges where the steel was cut away!

Can't find the stuff I used (it was 10 years ago), but here's a link to similar product.

Quick edit...it was the flame retardent stuff I used...and 12 sheets of it....OMG, I must have had some money at some time!!!!!

Edited by Or_GazM - 06 Oct 10 at 19:38
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 13:55
Originally posted by jamiet jamiet wrote:

i am starting my conversion now and have chosen the silver bubblewrap for insulation. is it worth putting it under the floor aswell?

It's not too hard to do or too long so i would say yes it's worth it...better to do it at the start than decide later after your floor, cabinets and bed are down....
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
jamiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 13:31
i am starting my conversion now and have chosen the silver bubblewrap for insulation. is it worth putting it under the floor aswell?

Noncompusmentis View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noncompusmentis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 10 at 12:57
We manage just fine in our van... we stayed over at Dubfreeze and woke up to the snow... but we were warm on the inside.

We have used that foil lined bubble wrap stuff.

BUT... I'm gonna take all the interior out and re do all the insulation ready for this summer. I think that with the panels packed out with more insulation, it will be even warmer in the winter, and cooler in the summer... it's a dark blue van, and does get quite warm in summer.

The last van we did, we insulated with "space blanket"... thats like glass fibre loft insulation in a plastic and foil bag... that seemed to do the trick... but I was bothered about water retention, hence why we used the bubble wrap stuff this time round.

Not 100% sure what I'm going to try next.
Just off j35 M1.
Vanarchy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 10 at 22:50
That re-cycled plastic bottle stuff is brilliant, just finished insulating and carpet lining last week, 2 rolls did the job! Used the van over the weekend as a support wagon for my mate at a track-day. Had the heater running for a bit before bed, just slept under a duvet and it was -5 outside! What a result. Insulate EVERYTHING...
JB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 09 at 21:58
I forgot how little space there is in the roof behind the roof panels.. Had to get some of the foil bubble wrap type stuff. I gave away a roll of it that had been sat in my barn for three years last month...
It was also on two for one despite not being apparent! I put two layers of it in the roof - as I had so much! Hopefully this'll help when sleeping in in the summer - and the winter.
I think a combination of the two will work well. Now I've got to decide on my wiring before I put all the panels back...
If it ain't broke - fix it till it is..
JB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 14:41
A certain DIY superstore has rolls of re-cycled plasic bottle loft insulation on a 2 for 1 at the mo - I reckon 4 rolls should do the van - a grand total of £20 at today's prices! I've just got a load to do my new acquisition.. They do it in 100mm or the more useful 75mm thickness.
It's good to use as it's not itchy or toxic and it's recycled. It's good for vans as being plastic it won't rot, degrade, or take on water/damp as many other materials do. It seems very warm too, feels more like a duvet or a fleece than anything else.. It says it's got good acoustic insulation properties, which would make sleeping at noisy festivals easier too! - and when it rains.
I'm going to stuff as much as I can behind every panel and in every box section (apart from round the door locks and vents!) I shall be warm!
Exbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 09 at 23:01
This is my first T4 , but wanted to go away as much as possible , when we found our van the interiour was a bit rough so after cleaning it i wanted to make it more comfortable without spending to much . the front of the van got a mat and some thermal blinds from ebay , the ply was first painted in a cheap grey undercoat and then i covered the ply with the cheap insulation roll from Focus it was on offer and has proved to be effective ( It looks like silver foil bubble rap). I used a stapple gun to fix it to the ply linning and it has worn well as i also use the van for work . The van did not get to warm in the summer and we were still camping at half term and we were not cold , also condensation has not been a problem . A final benifit is the fact that as i do not yet have the funds to fit an additional battery, i fitted two battery lights which due to the reflective nature of the material provide exellent lighting   . Hope this helps Regards ExbearThumbs Up  
Vans& Waves Cool !
JB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 09 at 22:44
Insulation - as much as you can wherever you can, unless you like a van that goes from fridge to sauna as soon as the sun hits it in the summer, and is a damp ice box any other time of year.. Good insulation is from heat as well as cold and makes life sooo much nicer. Even sticking carpet to everything makes a difference.
You could easily get away with a mattress and sleeping bag/duvet combination- done this in -7c and survived. The dog wasn't too happy though, her water bowl froze..
I like to live in fields in comfort where possible myself, I've just got another t4 and will soon be starting on converting it!
jimbo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 09 at 21:27

went big with my first - and did vanfest with my middle nipper.  It was awesome.  wouldnt mind doing some smaller shows tho next year to get about.

When there's always biscuits in the barrell, where's the fun in biscuits??
clintharshaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintharshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 09 at 20:16

yes to be honest it is only an idea

we have just had another baby so def not on the cards at the mo
he`s only a few eeks old at the mo
but im sure by the summer it should be on.

the more i go online the more i keep hearing this show that show and its the part i dont get to see that much
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'm not indecisive,or am I?You bet I am!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 09 at 16:08
Have put foil insulation in mine and the stuff you use under laminate flooring under my floor. Its cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and it makes it nice and quiet
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 09 at 21:53
Probably not during the Summer Months TBH.
Decent Quilt or Sleeping bag should suffice, It does for us Wink
Condensation may be an issue if it's not lined or owt in the Back like Shocked
Recommend External Screens for your Front & Side Windows too, Thumbs Up

Good to see you is gonna get out n' about abit.

Any news on the Van ???

Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
clintharshaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clintharshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 09 at 21:38
hi peeps been thinking about posssibly sleeping in the van at a few shows next year

keep thinking about keeping it real

rather than a user name on a keyboard

enjoy a few beers rather than turn my computer of and go to bed

does it really need insulating if i do.

am i going to freeze my nuts off.

Post Reply Post Reply