The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 Kombi Window Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Kombi Window Leak
    Posted: 18 Nov 09 at 20:10

Hi,

Hello to everyone, this is my first post!

After much talking I finally traded in my car for a 2005 T5 SWB Kombi Transporter which I collected today Smile.

It was all looking fine until it started raining! The sliding windows in the rear are both leaking Cry, which I hadn't noticed before buying! Now after a quick google I realise that this is a known issue with the kombi sliding window but have been unable to find a solution that doesn't involve new windows. I already have the internal gutter. Fortunately there is no evidence of associated rust.

So far I have come up with the following options-

1) Clean all round window seal and apply plenty of silicone grease (not sealant) and hope for the best.

2) Use silicone sealant to seal around the sliding window thus stopping the leak but making the window unable to be opened.

3) Replace the windows with non-opening ones (expensive)

4) Replace the window with non VW sliding version which does not leak (more expensive)

Any thoughts? Has anyone got experience of stopping the leak without buying new windows? Is it possible to a new seal for around the sliding part from VW?

Thanks in advance

Ally
FISHTALE View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHTALE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 15:39
Hi 

I had same problem, and after help from this forum I did your No.1

1) Clean all round window seal and apply plenty of silicone grease (not sealant) and hope for the best.

and so far (5 months later) no leaks and a cheap fix, but I haven't opened them since, then again, I don't need to. 

Certainly worth a try, nothing to lose.
2006 2.5TDI SWB
Delfhill View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 16:57
Hi and welcome! Even after having the latest windows fitted under warranty because of leaks, they still leak if the vehicle is facing uphill as the little drainage holes that take the water outside are at the front of the internal gutter. Silicone grease as you say seems effective.
4Motion 130 window van, medium roof, camper conversion.
alross View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 17:29
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have to admit I paid my £4 for an hour on https://erwin.volkswagen.de today and had a look at the manufacturers info.

According to VW the first step is to clean seal and put on "rubber care product" I think silicone grease is perfect for this. If that doesn't work they suggest replacing the moving bit of the window with a newer version which has a "better" seal (version 27S or higher! £79 +VAT). If that doesn't work they suggest replacing the whole window with version 30S or higher.

Not sure about the drain holes to take water back outside ( I don't think my van has such a gutter)

It is tipping it down up here so I quickly cleaned and greased one window and it seems to have made a slight improvement. Next dry day I get I will give it all a really good clean and liberal coat of silicone grease.

If that fails then I might crack out the black silicone sealant and accept they will never open again!!!

Ally
Rod_VW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod_VW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 17:34

Had a genuine VW sliding window fitted at the time of purchase in 2007.

It leaked so my local van centre installed a new sliding glass as a first measure. It seems that they have a sequence of items to change to fix the problem.

That was almost two years ago and I have had no problems since. I've recently checked for stains behind the furniture, there were none.

My only theory is to keep the slides & seals as clean as possible.

Rod,

vwbooks

2013 LWB T32 T5GP 180ps High Roof Self Build
Previously
2011 LWB T5GP
2007 LWB T5
2002 LWB T4
1999 LWB T4
1980 T3
FISHTALE View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHTALE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 18:22

Hi Alross

I think the gutter mentioned is really the runner that the window slides in which does have
a drain hole at the start (front) of it. On mine when I was trying to find out how the rain got
in I poked a bit of wire down it and was a bit pissed to see it emerge under the runner on the
inside!! 
  I'm the second owner and there are smears of glue around the runner so somebody
might have been at it before, so originally it might well have gone outside.
  If your drain 'ole goes outside and you always parked level or facing downhill I doubt
whether it would be man enough to keep up in really heavy rain so best to try an' keep the
rain out. Best of luck.
2006 2.5TDI SWB
mick g View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 20:40
Silicone grease mate.... Bang tidySmile
alross View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 16:22
hi,

Think I must have the same gutter as fishtail. No hole to the outside just a hole to the inside. As weather was dry this morning they both got a good clean and loads of silicone grease.

Ally
Rod_VW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod_VW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 17:10

There should be NO hole in the outside on genuine VW sliders!

The water should run out under the glass on the outside. There lies one of the problems, the glass bonding can be blocking the drainage channel. The hole can also be blocked by dust and dirt thus forcing water out over the inside of the runner.

Rod,

vwbooks

2013 LWB T32 T5GP 180ps High Roof Self Build
Previously
2011 LWB T5GP
2007 LWB T5
2002 LWB T4
1999 LWB T4
1980 T3
Dr Feelgood View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Feelgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 09 at 22:19
Hi there,

I had this problem on my Kombi [2005], worse on one side [pass] than the other.  On investigation i found what i believe to be play in the window. i.e having shut and closed the window on the catches you could still rock the window forward and back slightly. Pushed forward, the window sealed shut normally, it would leak.

I at first thought this play was caused by the runners top and bottom, but this was not the case. Removing the covers from the catch mechanism i could see that there was play where the catch "rods" went into the runners.

I removed the rods from the catch handles [very simple and straight forward] They are an alloy rod with a plastic end that acts as the catch to go in the runner hole.

Mine had broken at the bottom and as such were smaller than the hole in the runner therefore allowing the window to move back slightly with the wind force when driving, just enough to leak and whistle.

My failed attempts to fix them.
Tried araldite to build up to corect thickness. took ages to do / sand up and were asthetically perfect. On testing just broke away.

I then found that by holding the rod and the plastic on the end it was possible to move the plastic down  the rod, tidy up the broken end to make it flush, pop some superglue on the plastic end to stop it moving on the rod and refitted.
In all it has been great for about six months and no leaks.

I'm not sure if you could order just these rods which would be so much easier.

But in my opinion the fault lies if the window is slid down the runners with the 2 catch handles closed as every time the window drops into the locked positions it can damage the plastic on the end of the rods and cause the play at the fully closed position and therefore the dreaded leak.

Also none of mine have any grease on and my van is parked nose down every night [thats another tale i need help on] with no leaks now

Hope this helps  
2005 T5 130 2.5 Tip Kombi lwb

Everything comes to those who "hustle whilst they" wait
 Post Reply Post Reply