The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another DMF thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another DMF thread
    Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 17:51
Took my van in today to have the steering checked. asked them to check the clutch while it was in as i had some vibration reversing up slopes. guess what...... new flywheel needed..... 11,000 miles. 1 careful owner.
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 18:16
thats not good! need to check my reversing now...15,000 on mine, no serious mechanical failure yet!
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 18:23
i have had my first service last april so my warranty runs out next april which is only 4 months away i have only 12000 miles on the clock  i careful owner , so i think i may have a judder also
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 19:50
Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

Took my van in today to have the steering checked. asked them to check the clutch while it was in as i had some vibration reversing up slopes. guess what...... new flywheel needed..... 11,000 miles. 1 careful owner.

VW engineering at its finestConfused

11,000 Miles - it may as well be a sevice item

Its a poor showing when the brake pads outlast the DMFShocked
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
mcguyver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcguyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 20:04
Bummer Kawolsky, and on such a new/low mileage van too.

You'd have thought by the last year or so of production, they'd have got the DMF sorted.

It seems the only part of a T5 that lasts three years is the warranty.

mac 
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 20:49
Its a crap state of affairs- my Eos had one at 15K, and my mate had a new one in his Audi A6 yesterday at just 23K. Not just T5's, they seem crap in general.
I cannot believe that such a simple item cant be re engineered to last for years. The quality of the DMF is what you would expect if it was made in China or India,not Germany.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 21:10
I drove a Ford Mondeo diesel yesterday with just 44,000 miles on it that had the horrible deep knocking at idle and a clutch pedal that had a life of its own if you just rested the weight of your foot on it at idle.  Shocked  I think the genie is out of the bottle now with the internet, the manufacturers will not be able to get away with this stuff in the future because we will all know truely how good/bad each make is before we buy it.  Forget daft magazine 'Road Tests'. LOL
2004 2.5 174
tufty65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 22:41
My clutch judders like f**k on the first few take ups until it warms up, Still does it when warm too.
My split screen bus has a smoother take up of power and thats with 170 bhp going thru a stage 2 clutch !!!
Ill be replacing the dmf/clutch as a matter of course when I take my gearbox to be rebuilt (as that is as slack/loose as dutch lady of the night.)
 I wonder if the new t5 facelift transporters still have the same design of DMF as I think they have all new 4 pot engines ?
.......ProbablyErmm
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 07:12
For what it is worth, I think that you will find that all modern diesels haf DMFs and most suffer from similar problems... Even Hondas. I guess that the manufacturers see it as an investment in the future, keeping their service departments busy for many years.

I have even discovered that my petrol Lexus has a DMF but they rarely need changing until you have driven to the moon and back a couple of times, but most manual Lexii suffer from a shudder on engaging the clutch
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 07:29
I have no hard evidence, but IIRC there seem to be some people who report better results from the DMFs manufactured by SACHS and less people who want to put in a LUK unit.  If the money is coming out of your own pocket (ie not covered by warranty) it might be worth specifying the former.

There are plenty of supporters for a SMF (conventional one-piece) instead, but also plenty of others who believe the DMF is needed to protect the gearbox.

All in all it is hard to dismiss crap DMFs as just a rare problem highlighted by ease of access to internet forums.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 08:28
Only the motor industry can take a nice piece of cast iron and overcomplicate it... I believe that the purpose of the DMF is to improve the driving experience and smoothness of the vehicle, not to protect the crank... I hope that someone brings out a conventional flywheel/ clutch kit before my clutch needs replacing cos that is what will be going back in
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 08:44
It absolutely isnt only T5's that have this problem which is why i'm not freaking out over it.
We reently got rid of the wifes 1 series BMW [17,000 miles] as it had terrible dmf judder problems, along with a few other minor issues. there's a forum with a huge thread about it on the 1 series. BMW have stopped  sanctioning new clutches and are doing a remap to "ease the effects"!!! what they did to ours was map the power down and enable somehow the revs to cause the clutch to slip a bit on gearchange.... mental.. it really noticed as well. so we got rid while there was a bit of warranty.
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 09:05
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

All in all it is hard to dismiss crap DMFs as just a rare problem highlighted by ease of access to internet forums.

Greg, despite often maintaining this as fact (that forums exaggerate perceptions of problems) I must agree with you.

Especially as my clutch judders most mornings now...
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 09:22
I think I've noticed a small judder when reversing on full lock at 22k miles - sound like it? I don't get to use my van much at the moment so would rather wait until they come up with a decent design - do away with dmf entirely like some have said.

what would happen if you just put up with it? would it get to the point of being undriveable?
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 10:48
Most manufacturers are now offering a solid flywheel replacement for DMF's as so many people have problems with them across all makes of vehicles.

I can't remember where but someone posted on here a few weeks ago that they got their DMF changed for a solid flywheel at a garage in Bournemouth on their T5.

The only reason for them according to all the information i can find on DMF's is to make the engine feel smother when driving.

Edited by borg - 10 Nov 09 at 10:50
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 22:41
Originally posted by marksabs marksabs wrote:

what would happen if you just put up with it? would it get to the point of being undriveable?

Yes, and then some.  Sometimes they can even break the bell housing and/or gearbox casing.  Read some of the many threads here about DMFs (and be afraid, very afraid .....).
rallye dale View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 09 at 21:31

Porsche have been using DMF's since 1989 Ouch

I'm paranoid now, i'm sure i can feel some judder in a morning Thumbs Down
My Van..http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic26281&KW=_post196345.html#196345

My Car..http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288209

T30 LWB 2.5 130 REMAPPED 56 PLATE
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 09 at 11:58
Mine seems to have a judder only occasionally, and it's usually cold and damp when it does it.  Other times (95% of the time) it is judder free.

Someone posted on here that when it's buggered it will judder every time not intermittently.

I'm convinced that really* smooth driving, clutch action and power delivery (ie when pulling away or any time the clutch is engaged/disengaged) must surely help to make it last longer, so that's my strategy anyway.  Some of the failures reported here include vans with unknown history (ie they may have been thrashed).  Mine's on 50k miles now by the way.

Having said that I acknowledge that some will have been driven carefully since new, so in those cases maybe it's just bad luck not bad driving.

* as in, paranoid-carefully, as if the clutch is made of eggshell, so to speak. 
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 09 at 12:19
A quick bit of research indicates to me that automatic gearboxes don't suffer from this problem.  However I'm no mechanic, just doing reading on the Net so I could be totally wrong.

Can anyone here confirm/deny that the tiptronic T5s wont suffer this issue?  I have one and so far have no sign of it (but then it seems the signs are mostly clutch judder and obviously I have no clutch).

Cheers!
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 09 at 07:06
Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

I'm convinced that really* smooth driving, clutch action and power delivery (ie when pulling away or any time the clutch is engaged/disengaged) must surely help to make it last longer, so that's my strategy anyway.  

And your driveshafts will certainly last longer under that regime :)

I'd add to that being very gentle on the throttle anytime the revs are below 1,800 on the 5 cyl TDI and 2,000 revs for the 4 cyls (the 1.9 is known for being a coarse engine with lots of low rev vibrations and surges, which give the DMF a hard time).  Just because our TDIs will pull hard at low revs doesn't mean it is very good for them.

BBB - I don't recall reading about anyone having flywheel problems with the 6sp auto fitted to T5s, but I think I've read about their own particular "foibles", I'm sure a search on "auto" with any date specified will retrieve them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>