Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Turbo your 2.4d

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Turbo your 2.4d
    Posted: 04 Nov 09 at 19:16

I've searched nearly every site & finally found this, if you have any of the parts please pm me

http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/westfalia_california/Turbo_on_a_T4_2400D_aspirated_UK.htm

NOELI0 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOELI0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 09 at 21:16
Nice find D&D, I'll wait till you do yours firstWink
If you can't go fast go LOUD!!
Rake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 09 at 22:35
Very nice little article indeed.
onkobonko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onkobonko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 09 at 23:39
Hmmm, interesting, although it needs pump mods to take full advantage.  The 2.4 pump doesn't have a LDA so wouldn't be able to give any extra fuel on boost, I think Ive seen it done using the Volvo 2.4td (which is a VW engine) pump which is a bosch type and has an LDA (looks like an AAZ pump).

vwdiesel.net  is an excellent diesel tuning forum with lots of these king of mods

Side tracking slightly, Ive always thought that an AAZ pump when used with a 1.6TD boost pin, would be a good mod for a 1.9ABL to release extra power and make tuning easier, 90bhp would be easy, 100 or more with an intercooler...
I used to mess about with my old Passat and found a lot of extra power, posted this at the time if anyone intrested:
http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2770&hilit=johnboy
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 09 at 09:15
I'm in the process of collecting the parts, let you know how i get on..
VW71Dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW71Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 09 at 09:28
Originally posted by D&D D&D wrote:

I'm in the process of collecting the parts, let you know how i get on..
D&D,When you do it take some pics as i just picked up a 2.4 as my winter project.part numbers a must mate.Smile
retards,r,us.
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 09 at 14:41

I *think* Seasider may have just bought a coach built T4 with a 2.4 that has been turboed........

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 09 at 16:02
Well i've got the turbo & manifolds, just need to get the oil lines & modded boost pipe housing for the inlet - can anyone help with these bits??
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 17:18
Here's where i'm at so far. Both 2.4 manifolds are off & i'm ready to hook up some oil lines, not sure where the return attaches to the block yet - any idea's - as its not clear on Etka?
INLET MANIFOLDS

The 2.4 manifold is a swine to remove because you cannot see the stud heads - use a mirror & lots of patience

EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

Take your time removing the old one, loads of heat & WD. I started with the bottom nuts then attacked the top, only two siezed - be prepared..

TURBO

OIL FEED

Cost so far is £80 for the manifolds & £190 for the turbo. I'll crack on again 2moro after i've kicked some arse on Modern Warfare 2

Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'm not indecisive,or am I?You bet I am!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 18:29
Looks interesting
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 16:33
After some confusion I finally figured out where the turbo oil return is located, in the dipstick housing. Never seen a set up like this before & i'm sure it will be of use to other modders, saves you drilling holes in your sump (if your collecting your parts from a scrappie don't forget this part, its on back order from Vw & is thin on the ground)

I sold a bike recently so have had the luxury of buying all the oil pipework from the dealers - Oil feed & return pipes with their gubbins - dipstick housing - nuts,studs,washers - £167.00. Gaskets were from euro - £17.00

I've got to wait 10 days for the housing to come, I need to fit this first & connect to the filter housing before fitting the manifolds. Next job is to make a boost pipe attachement to fit on the inlet.. 
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 09 at 15:50
The new ACV dipstick tube arrived today so I fitted it along with the oil pipes. Fitting the tube is awkward due to its wider base, I got around this my removing the oil filter whick also helps when it comes to attaching the return pipe.

Both pipes fitted

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 19:44
Everything bolted in, just the boost hoses to connect

Fitted the hoses & alls well

steve padda View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve padda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 09 at 16:59
Hi
Good job bud waiting to see your feedback on the results  Big smile

steve

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 09:14

its transformed the van already & i'm only running 0.3bar, she pulls loads better. 50-80mph is where the big difference is noticed. i've fitted an L200 cooler but think I might have a boost leak somewhere, if it ever stops raining i'm going to up the fuel & take the boost to 0.5bar. Keep you posted

Dirty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 09 at 01:30
I have a 00 2.4, which model turbos fit?

The link states he uses a 96 2.5 turbo but I presme the later ones will fit too?

- just checking before I go an buy the wrong stuff!

Thanks!
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 09 at 04:55
Register here http://www.vagcat.com/ & cross reference the catalogues, you'll get all the part numbers too
DanT4Syncro View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanT4Syncro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 09 at 13:38
Good work, so how many people have started or are going to start this?

I have it on a wish list for next year.  Though finding the time is going to be the hard part.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan T
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 09 at 13:44
Would the turbo fit with the standard 2.4D inlet manifold?
That inlet manofold looks like it would flow a lot better than the 2,5TDI item.
Are you going to intercool it?
Are you going to modify the injection pump top with a LDA so you get a bit more fuel on boost?
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 09 at 14:31
Hi Bax, i've fitted an L200 cooler & wound the max fuel screw in a wee bit, its now boosting 0.35 bar & running like a dream. Only problem so far is the idle is on the high side & I haven't figured out how to reduce it. Do you fancy having a play with it if I can get up to yours??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>