The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loss of interior lghting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of interior lghting
    Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 11:06
G'day fellas.
I've lost all interior lights to the cabin and rear of van after a possible short to one of the light switches. Tension on the cable whilst removing head lining moved the copper pins in one of the rear ceiling light assemblies. I've also noticed the van locking itself after a few minutes which it didn't use to do (big issue).
I've repaired the light assembly but still all lights not functioning no matter what setting they are on.
I have not been able to find a blown fuse in the  fuse box in the front dash. Engine bay should not be an issue, but what about the fuses under the seat,  have no diagram for them, so don't know if they are involved. Thanks for any advice re this, as its a bugger to track down and the VW fuse chart is next to useless.
My vehicle is a basic T5 128kw manual Van with nothing in the back.

Best wishes.

Ken
2007 128kw LWB Manual White Van
2009 VW Tiguan 103 TDI Auto
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 12:59
Does the 12voltsupply/ciggy lighter still work?
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 13:19

Hi Ken, We have had problems after shorting of the interior lights reported here before.  (I think those were central locking problems though)  As far as I know the interior lights work via the convenience (unit under the driver's seat) the door locks and the onboard supply unit (which which supplies dozens of things but also deals with delay timing needed on various things (like interior lights!)  I think the most likely cause for your problems is a blown fuse for the convenience unit which seems to have two fuses in the main fuse box near the gear lever.  From memory I think they are 2 and 11. 

I think I did once say the onboard supply unit was under the battery near the engine fuse box but now I think it lives close to the main fuse box in the cab. 

I don't think there are any fuses under the seat.  There are connectors and relays under there though.  Let us know what you find Smile 
2004 2.5 174
blazin-saddles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazin-saddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 18:42
Baytown,

Just been out to mine and found the fuse that controls the interior lights, there's a 7.5a mini blade fuse in position 17 on the lower part of the fusebox near the gear selector. mine had blown, I changed it and the lights returneth.  Hope yours is as easy to sort.

Baytown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 09 at 10:19
G'day fellas.
Dave (Blazin) got it, fuse #17 on the lower fuse group, middle row (mini 7.5 amp fuse).
Its got me buggered cause I'm sure I checked it. Anyway, I now have full interior lights.
Now to sort out the loss of my left side panel indicator (flasher) function. Globe is good, but no idea why it's not working. I did have some rats in the engine bay, so broken wiring is my initial hunch.
Thanks for the assistance everyone, and best wishes from Oz.

Ken.
2007 128kw LWB Manual White Van
2009 VW Tiguan 103 TDI Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply