The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 tdi pump ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9 tdi pump ?
    Posted: 24 Oct 09 at 09:00
hello all i have fitted 1.9tdi (1z) enging in my T3 but i am running a aaz fuel pump where i did not have the pump or ecu for the tdi.it does not to seam to have the power of my old aaz engine is there.is this pump ok on this engine or should i get a diffent pump for it
UAP1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

AKA Mannlicher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UAP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 09 at 10:51
You need a hybrid pump mate have a word with Baxter but they aint cheap
The shaft on the TDI pump is a lot thicker so can pump higher pressure than the AAZ one it will run but be as flat as a witches tit
Better sticking the Fly by wire pump back on it and see if you can by pass the anti theft shut down device linked with it there is a post on here somewhere to show you how it can be done if you search for it.
Stu

Edited by UAP1 - 24 Oct 09 at 10:56
1982bus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 09 at 11:03

do you know if you can fit a different tdi pump on it off of something else

UAP1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

AKA Mannlicher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UAP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 09 at 11:35
Originally posted by 1982bus 1982bus wrote:

do you know if you can fit a different tdi pump on it off of something else

Somebody reckons you can fit one off a Landrover but I aint seen it or for that matter how it performs, but others on here might advise.
shrek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 09 at 19:31

does any one know about fitting landrover pumps on the 1z enging

Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 09 at 23:52
Speak / search for Hot1200, think he had a 1z with a aaz pump and said it went well if you tweeked the pump. Most peeps dont recommend an AAZ pump on a 1z though.

Edited by Full Throttle - 24 Oct 09 at 23:53
monkey magic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 13:15
I run a landy 200tdi pump,

swap the vw pulley over, set timing as per landy spec, machine out the hole in the mounting bracket. Custom brace bracket (very simple) on the back of the pump, and custom connection to accelerator cable (also dead simple). All injector lines etc line up, about as bolt on as you can get as  far as mods like this go.

Mine runs ok, starts on the button and ticks over nicely, no smoke, but is down on power compared to standard. Plenty of tricks available to sort this. (LDA and governer mod) I am just waiting to send mine over to giles in canada (PDI)

re the aaz pump, it doesnt make the required peak pressure for tdi injectors, so the pump needs to be advanced to correct the timing. Though it can be made to work (al hot1200) by tweaking the LDA etc, it will never be proper...
mTDI Syncro
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 15:07
Yeah the Giles Super Pumps are supposed to be ace...

Tdi needs an awful lot more pressure than td, but there are few mechanical Tdi pumps (ie non electrical) that will fit on, and all need modification.  I have got one that fits an LT van, but it still needs a fair bit of tweaking / modifying to get it running right...
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 18:49
Yeah, looking forward to having a Giles pump built. Theres loads of info about on tweaking these units, but without a proper test bench and the skills that goes with it, home made jobs will only ever achieve so much.

Trouble is decent diesel techs aren't keen on non standard things like this, because if they work less than perfect, it can help knacker their reputation. I know a spot on diesel engineer, genius of a bloke, and I'm sure he could achieve a lot in 'modding' a landy pump for a dub tdi, but when I had my landy pump serviced, I had to pretend it was for a landy or he would have walked away!

All depends on what you really want from your engine at the end of the day. Hot 1200 was well happy with his on an AAZ unit.. On paper its wrong, but if it works well enough, it works well enough... Looking for a fair dose of power myself tho Tongue
mTDI Syncro
avdem View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avdem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 19:24
I`m running my 1z with a non modified Jx pump and although it runs ok i can`t seem to get the same power as im my old syncro with an AAZ and jx pump. Always thought it was a matter of adjustments but reading this i understand it will ever run as well as it should.....

So what are my options?

Still got the original 1Z pump somewhere so going fly by wire could be an option. Problem is i`m a NOOB on electrics. Would also have to get a complete harness of a donor car. Would anyway be the cheapest option.

If keeping it mechanical i`ve broken it down to these options:

LR pump, requires tweaking

LT pump, same as above, but might fit straight on? What year should i be looking for?

Busschmiede sells a mTDI pump that probably is bolt on but not much info on it.... Expensive.

This is my daily driver so i need this upgrade to be an easy fix, what would the experts do?

1990 syncro mTDI
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 19:52
Experts with money? Send  an LT unit to Giles in Canada,

Not sure if the LT pump needs the bracket modding.  Doing anything to a daily driver is tricky though, always going to be a compromise.

Re the buschmeide unit, not sure if its a modded unit or just a standard LT pump. Though the price isnt out of the way for what it is, I would be pissed off paying that amount if it only gave me the same results as my un modified landrover pump...

For the record, my landrover unit drives fine, with zero mods (just the brackets), its just that it could make more power than it does.
mTDI Syncro
avdem View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avdem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 20:27

Thanks for the reply, probably have to dig out my german skills and write a mail to busschmiede, need some more info on that one.

JX pump works ok but want more.....
1990 syncro mTDI
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 20:34
let us all know what you find out, im sure a lot of people would go mtdi if there was a 100% simple bolt on solution. also, check out vwdiesel.net, lots of excellent info on modding pumps..

I do know baxter has been looking into this, but dont know how sucessful he has been. Monsho, i take it yours is a baxter unit?
mTDI Syncro
gundog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gundog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 09 at 23:13
hi, had all the same bother, i can say that the aaz pump can run it but you need to do a bit of messing with it, if you can get  a tdi pump for parts, swap out the cam plate and all the parts after this right up to where the fuel meets the injecter line ( cam plate, springs, rotor shaft, pump head) the aaz pump only has 9mm rotor shaft, tdi,10mm so more fuel straight away.  theres lots of messing you can do but thats the basic thing that needs to be done, lots of folk say that the main shaft is not  up to any more than 10mm pump heads but im running a ford tranit 11mm on the back of mine with bigger injector nozzels and so on. aaz 17mm, tdi 20mm main shafts. not that of a big deal to change, just use a bit of grease to hold things in place when you lower the head back on. Big smile  
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 09 at 23:17
Here We Go Again....
UAP1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

AKA Mannlicher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UAP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 09 at 08:13

Its a fecking sight easier installing a AAZ  I can tell you I tried alll that lot give it up in the end and stuck aaz in goes like a train

avdem View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avdem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 09 at 11:05
Gundog: Would it be possible to modify the JX pump in the same way?
Posted a mail to Busschmiede, the mTDI pump they sell is a bolt-on on the AFN and 1Z engines.  Didn`t give me any datas though. He recommends upgrading the turbo as well. The JX turbo won`t be optimal but the original 1Z turbo might do a better job?

They sell a full mTDI kit as well: Pump, turbo and nozzels, 1900 euros...............

1990 syncro mTDI
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 11:52
It seems strange to me that lots of people want a mech pump when the cost of these pumps is excessive. You also have the problem of costs when it fails. Buying a pre-made cable harness to stay electronic is surely the sensible and cheaper option.
Understand mech pumps for syncro owners as they go wading in water.
johnnyblue View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 20:50
i have a 1z engine with an aaz pump fitted to it. that was all i had at the time and it hasnt been too bad on fuel and it did seem to go ok but i had a try of a 1.6td multistar type thingy and it seemed to pull quite a bit better altho mine is a heavyish high top if it makes a difference. im looking to change this set up tho because it smokes quite  a bit and im pretty sure it could be a lot better.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 21:10
I'm on the cusp of selling pumps but there are a few catches.
You must jave a boost gauge.
You must have a EGT gauge.
You must have a charge cooler.
I need to instal it as there is a fair amount of buggering about
To get them to work right.
Pump will bolt on.
Pump does require internal messing from the base pump

The test pump on andrews van is far capable of silly power
We've had to knock the power down to keep a check on egt, in a smaller
Car or with water injection they could be amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>