The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FIlling gas tank with no LPG station near by.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIlling gas tank with no LPG station near by.
    Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 13:15
Hi Guys,

Before you say don't do it .... my nearest LPG station is a 1600km round trip! My cooker in my house runs off LPG gas bottles, do you know if there is a way to refill the tank  this way? Would it be a case of adapting the rubber piper from the gas regulator on the cooker bottle with an adapter which fits the on board tank?

Thanks

lg
niko View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nice fella.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 13:51
dont do it....
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 16:23
Dont do it...

But if you did want to.... apparently there are adaptors available to fill from a propane bottle...

It was a Polish wagon driver that told me about this, he used to run his car from propane bottles in this way Confused

Edited by Tee3 - 20 Oct 09 at 16:24

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
al-n-ing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al-n-ing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 16:59

It’s the liquid you need to get out of the bottle, not gas.

Not sure if the regulator will allow liquid to flow, so you may need to do away with it when trying to transfer, which means you have no safety barrier. Then you have to remember that the liquid will turn to gas as soon as it comes into contact with air; so you’ll need a sealed connection (from one bottle to the other). & you will obviously have to turn the bottle up-side-down (the one your taking from).

I think when you fill up at the garage/filling station, it removes gas, as it tops up liquid? So as not to create pressure.

As the gas is so volatile, I’m inclined to agree with the others; DON’T DO IT

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 17:25
why not fit a small bottle of gas in the cupboard and pipe it to the gas valve in the same cupboard, making the underfoor tank redundant till you find some lpg?

it will save you blowing yourself up!!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Little Green View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 18:54
Hi guys,

after much more digging ....... if I switch to the blue butane bottles & re plumb the gas pressure is much lower than the underfloor tank so the fridge won't work properly & I think the change in gas type will mean changing the injectors on the cooker & fridge otherwise the flame will burn very sooty..... but I may still do this with a gas regulator to up the pressure.

If the LPG station was a 200km round trip I would do it but the distance involved is huge just to have a cuppa while camping & cold beer...... i've tried begging the LPG bottle place in the industrial estate to fill my tank (most houses use gas bottles for their cookers over here) but they won't fill it.

I think I have a plan to fill the underfloor tank from my small home gas bottles but I will only fill my tank about 1/4 full but it will do me :)

Thanks for your ideas (& concern)..... much appreciated

lg

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 19:41
google LPG transfer pump. theres even a few on ebay.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

MrD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 21:20
My dad used to hang one upside down over the other and let the gas liquid drain through.
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 09 at 23:38
This is going to end very badly. LOL
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 07:48
 ..... i hope not full throttle.

Mr D thats the kind of idea I was up to.

I'm not planning to fill the gas bottle in a confined space so the gas will dissipate very quickly & won't be in a concentration high enough to ignite (famous last words)

Again, Thanks to all of you :) .... if any of you trek over to the south of Spain the cup of tea is on me & I always have a space with a stunning view to park up you van.

lg xxx
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 08:29

I usually get between 18 months and 2 years out of a filling - can't you just plan your trips accordingly?

Hang on!  Your location is described as "Costa Del Sol".  There are loads of Autogas outlets on the coastal strip - probably inland too.  Not only that, but most of Spain runs on bottled (propane) gas for cooking.  1st choice, Fill up at a a garage!!  OK, your paying road excise duty on your fuel (or whatever the Spanish call it) but it is not going to be THAT much on 18 - 20 litres.
Second choice, go to one of the bottle filling depots that fill the Gas Bombs" everybody cooks with.  They are using a similar transfer pump and must have adaptors - this out in the sticks too.

Edited by johnb - 21 Oct 09 at 08:30
My van is better known in these parts than I am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 10:26
Hi Johnb ..... the  gas filling stations are km away, the closest is Granada which in inland & a 3 drive from me. The stations in Malaga & algerceras both shut. I've tries the gas bomb place, they said 'no way jose' .... if you know of another list of gas filling stations I would be interested as this really would be the prefered method, i'm not trying to fill the tank on the cheap, just to fill it!

Thanks

lg
al-n-ing View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al-n-ing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 11:40
Originally posted by Little Green Little Green wrote:

Again, Thanks to all of you :) .... if any of you trek over to the south of Spain the cup of tea is on me & I always have a space with a stunning view to park up you van.

lg xxx

Be careful what you wish for… you may get 20+ of us turn up on your doorstep one day.

But thanks for the offer. I have only been over the water on a motor bike (2500 miles in 2 weeks; south Austria), but your offer is tempting, as a first timer.

johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 11:59
LG - It's some time since I was out there but I'm sure I remember auto filling stations (and more than one) in the Fuengirola area that were selling LPG for road vehicles - this maybe 7 years ago.

In UK there are maybe 5 or 6 autogas stations in every town, plus every motorway service area.  I'm just a little surprised at the scarcity.
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 12:11
I see what you mean about the availability - just done a search.  it looks like my memory was paying tricks.

According to the map, the other alternative is Jerez - unless of course Gibraltar has an LPG fill station (which of course would not be listed on Repsols website).

I think a warning to all those running (rather than cooking) on LPG would be "Don't do it!!"
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 13:03
Originally posted by Little Green Little Green wrote:

I'm not planning to fill the gas bottle in a confined space so the gas will dissipate very quickly & won't be in a concentration high enough to ignite (famous last words)

just (another) word of warning here.... 1litre of LPG will expand around 250 times when released...
thats 250 litres of gas for every litre of liquid.
And its heavier than air, so will fill any nearby cellars, drains, etc.

Its scarey biscuit stuff if dicked about with... Shocked

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 16:02
.... i hadn't thought of searching in Gib for a filling station ..... I can go to Morrisons at the same time!

Tee3, thanks for the warning ...... if the 'fill it myself' is the only option, it will be done outside, on top of a mountain, away from the house & any holes.

Mi casa es tus casa. I can accommodates 20+ of you ... run to the proper sun, just remember your levelling chocs, i only have 3 flat spots to park on!

lg
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 09 at 15:35
Definately one at JEREZ as i used to use it to top up my Westy when stationed in Gib till this year-Seemed bizarre to use 20 litres of diesel for the round trip to put approx 6euro of Gas in to top it up (Especially as the refinery is at Algeciras 7km from Gib)!!!.
Never did GPS the station (back street Repsol bottle store out of jerez) as it was easy(ish) to find.Allegedly there is another at Puerto santa-maria just down the road and another at Malaga-Can give you directions to the Jerez one if you pm me.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 09 at 09:00
...hi guys,

Just a quick update, Repsol are opening a brand new LPG station in Malaga :)

No need to worry about me blowing myself up, i'll be first in line to fill my tank.

Thank you all again for all your help

lg
xx
 Post Reply Post Reply