Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GTI van back on the road 9.4.12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 11 at 23:28
 Keep it coming Jonno.

How did you shorten your loom? Im looking at getting OE connectors for the plastic plugs on engine senders etc to avoid soldering. Dont suppose you did and have part numbers?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 11 at 23:36
I haven't touched it mate. I had to lengthen a few wires like one for water level and MAF sensor, the rest i left. My thinking is more solder joints more problems for the future. 

At the minute the loom goes around the engine bay and ecu is behind the back lights upside down so it can't sit in a puddle of water, i just stuffed the excess loom in there like. I have bin thinking of moving the ecu in side the van to neaten up the engine bay.

Have you hit any niggles yet since its been running? 

Cheers, 

Jon

www.kombi-nation.co.uk
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 11 at 23:55
 Fortunately once i had it running nothing serious- only mong generated ones!

replaced leaking auxilliary drive shaft seal and did crankshaft seal at same time. Disturbed dizzy timing putting it at about 20' ATDC , whoops!

My wiring is like mudusas' head at the mo. Just lobbed onto top of block. Am planning on buying a pile of the metal pins/connectors that the wire is crimped to that sit inside the plastic connector plugs.

As you say , dont want to solder but dont want it looking like a bodge job either.

Shorten , wrap neatly in cloth loom tape and P clip to fire wall.

Already spent future money on a mild road cam, sorted head , megasquirt............................

Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 08:24
haha Your as bad as me elvis! im already planning a ABF conversion lol also have a mk2 golf vr6 sleeper project on the cards LOL
www.kombi-nation.co.uk
Paul Van Denton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Van Denton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 11 at 00:01
awesome bus, so awesome.

wat did you use the arduino for?
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 14:16
I am using the arduino board to work the gti clocks. Got a GPS module talking to the Arduino which the sends an output to the clocks, Works real nice and wasn't to complicated to do.

Its doing my headin now, so close to finish! i just want to be using it now, really by next weekend it should be ready for mot! i really hope. 

Had the weekend away in Scotland and all i could think was i wish i was in the bloody van!

Cheers for comments! 

Edited by Jonox - 30 May 11 at 14:17
www.kombi-nation.co.uk
Camping Bazz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camping Bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 11 at 21:50
Good use for an arduino board Thumbs Up
I would like to see the gps module/arduino board in a little more detail tho as it may help me with something im looking at Wink
DrLaban View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrLaban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 11 at 06:14
Awsome build!
I recently got a -84 typ25 and I'm going to bag it later this year.
Do you have any pictures of the reallocation of the front shocks?

mfunsta View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfunsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 11 at 07:23
excellent....just read this from the beginning and I'm now going to have to get to VF just to see it..
..must say, I'm pretty envious of your engineering skills, patience and commitment
labour of love and it shows, always liked the air suspension concept...
fancy converting mine?Big smile
thunderpants74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderpants74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 11 at 12:09
Just read this as well,mind blowing how much you and others on this forum know,love the van,can't wait to see it totally finished.
Custom Carpentry & Bespoke Camper Interiors 07760 914433.
kap k View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kap k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 11 at 16:32
Im not going to get much done at vf I will be spending most my time looking at your bus wiping the drool off my chin!! Thanks for all your updates ..quality workmenship and stacks of originality.
I cant spell for shit..wont use spell checker or predictived text...
Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 11 at 17:59
Thanks for the comments guys!! 

Took a bit of a blow really! split up with the bird and need to move out! progress on van has been very slow! so ive lost my workshop and drive but i intend to finish it! 

Got the damper mounts sorted! finally! just need to do other side and plumb gauges in and its ready for mot! 

I would be lieing if i said im not nervous! Got bored other day when it was raining so i put some 195 45 tyres on the original steels for a laugh! stuck some merc  trims on from another project i had ! goes quite low lol 

Pics!

pics arnt playing ball ill try upload them laters! you get the idea though :d

Edited by Steve B - 17 Jun 11 at 23:03
www.kombi-nation.co.uk
ChrisMonkeyBoy89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisMonkeyBoy89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 11 at 22:54
^Stunning!
ZsZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZsZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 06:38
wow, it's a real low rider :)
http://vwt3.hu/
on the road
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 11:07
grind the merc symbols off the hubcaps, paint the centres grey to match the van & its a defo win win!
you know what to cool kidz say

if it aint scrapin, you aint even tryin!

nice work jono, you gottta get a mate to video you drivingthe van when its that low! on a nice flat duel carridgeway
i laugh at my own jokes cause there funny to me! i dont give a fck if you dont think they are

if your in the redline lol ya having a good time! lol ;P

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 11 at 19:29
 'kin awesome chap.

cant wait to see it in the flesh. Just remember vans like this come round once in a lifetime, birds are two a penny.

Jonox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 22:02
well the time has come guys n gurls! MOT is booked monday!! only things left to do is finish the rear build ive designed and screw headliner up oh and under seal it all! Fingers crossed! 

Had a bit of problem with engine of late, lack of oil pressure when it starts up. Oil light comes on for a few seconds then goes out. Tried everything to solve it but i just think engine is a little unhealthy. Only time will tell! 

thats roughly the height it drives at! it could go lower if i played around with the camber on the front 

wish me luck! 

Jon
www.kombi-nation.co.uk
surf dude View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surf dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 22:23
I have to say that I think this is the best looking T3 I've ever seen. It really is a great looking van and a credit to your hard work. Good luck with the MOT, fingers crossed for ya Approve
Too many projects..... Not enough time!
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 22:30
 everything crossed for you chap! good luck!

caron666 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M NOT A BIRD, HONEST!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caron666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 22:55
Looks good that to be honest. 

Will the number plate be right with the Mot testing chap?  Well time will tell i suppose.  But good luck.
If it's got tits or wheels sooner or later you're going to get problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>