The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 Speaker System Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Speaker System Upgrade
    Posted: 02 Oct 09 at 17:58
Can anyone suggest a speaker upgrade for standard T5 speakers. pleeze? Crank mine up & they get terribly distortified...  Wacko
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 10:00
start with putting tweeters in the top dash, get the vw one's.
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 20:49
Cheers, thanks for that.

I'm thinking I may go for something to replace the original head unit & looking for something with Bluetooth & SatNav etc, possibly a Kenwood jobbie. I'm sure I stumbled on a thread on here sometime from someone who's gone down this particular route, but I'm darned if I can find it!!

Anyone got any thoughts on any of this? Got bleeding stumps instead of fingers now from typing too much..  Smile
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 21:56
Hi Rev,

I changed the head unit for an Alpine unit that plugs directly into the iPod (lead in glovebox) and keeps all track navigation on the head unit itself.  The built in amp (can you tell I'm not a Hifi anorak?) gives far better sound quality through the standard speakers than the original and muh better radio reception.

So I found that the standard speakers are acceptable with a better unit.  Not great though and if I had the cash I'd upgrade.  But I don't! Ermm
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
AndyTease View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyTease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 22:13
I have Kenwood mid range p series speakers and tweeters model is (KFC-X172P). I also have the Kenwood amp with small sub model is (KSC-SW10). Sound is great and the sub has a control so you don't sound like a boy racer. The head unit is also Kenwood and is direct ipod system.
Andy
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 22:27
Andy, what mods are needed for fitting speakers?  Do they go straight into space of existing ones?
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
AndyTease View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyTease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 23:10
Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

Andy, what mods are needed for fitting speakers?  Do they go straight into space of existing ones?

I think you need a spacer for the speaker in the door. The tweeter's where set into the door by the handle and the sub was fitted to the base off the double passenger's seat. My speaker's sit behind the the grey door panels and have not been cut. The speaker grills on the dash don't have any speakers fitted when I purchased my van from new. I was thinking about adding some smaller speakers but it all could be a bit much sound wise. My speakers where fitted by the car audio company I purchased the speakers from and they did a really good job. 
Andy
GTaye View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 06:44
See useful link in this thread to Rallye dales post on Sat nav etc

rallye dale View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 07:27
Cheers Wink
My Van..http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic26281&KW=_post196345.html#196345

My Car..http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288209

T30 LWB 2.5 130 REMAPPED 56 PLATE
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 13:54
Yeeeah!!

Found it - you're Da Man Rallye Dale..
Gripper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 18:10
The door speakers (Mids) do need an adaptor, which are available on ebay for about £10, and most tweeters will fit straight into the pods on the top of the dash, and all the wiring is much easier to thread than in a car. My amps are fitted under the driver seat - which was a bit of a ball ache getting two under there. 

As far as the head unit goes theres not a lot of room behind it, so i found it easier to remove the glove compartment to get a bit more room to work.
Jack Clark View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 09:38
I went for a set of Focal speakers in the doors and dash, coupled with an Alpine iPod stereo it sounds great.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 09 at 16:06
Originally posted by Jack Clark Jack Clark wrote:

I went for a set of Focal speakers in the doors and dash, coupled with an Alpine iPod stereo it sounds great.

Got any model no.s Wink

Norty Raskel View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 09 at 15:48
I've just fitted a Kenwood DNX7240BT. A fantastic bit of kit, Garmin sat nav, parrot blue tooth, dvd with dual zone facility, reversing camera and lots more that I haven't explored yet. Would heartily recommend it.
Sounds good through stock speakers, but dynamat and speaker upgrade is on the horizon.
Norty
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 09 at 17:21
Have to say I'm slowly dreaming of a Kenwood jobbie. Sounds a cracking bit of kit, but the piggy bank's already in A&E after being raided to buy the darned van!

It's on the Wish List, though.

Steve
GTaye View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 13:03
Norty Raskel where did you locate your GPS Antenna?
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 14:45
GTaye,

I just took the cable behind the glovebox and exited out by the grill covering the tweeter at the front of the dash. There's a gap between front of dash and base of windscreen where the cable can lie until the point where you decide to mount the antennae. My antennae was then just stuck to the dash, close the base of the windscreen, on the nearside quarter.

The microphone cable for the bluetooth ran the same way, then up the A post trim cover, along the top edge of the screen/headlining then the mic is clipped to where my rear view mirror would have been.

Norty
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 15:42
Mine is underneath the dash behind the glovebox, works fine no problems in 12 months of use

Mate's got a 5220bt in a T5 and his is in the same place

blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 16:04
mine under plastic trim above stereo, no need to have it visible.
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norty Raskel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 09 at 21:32
Guys,

That's a very good point, I was looking at mine just this weekend thinking that antennae just advertises the fact that I've got some sort of sat-nav in the cab.

I shall be moving mine back under the dash board.

Norty
07 T32 LWB Kombi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>